Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry and Dashcam Storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vanja USB Type-C SD Card Reader with a Sansdisk 128gb inside, has been working well for me - easy transfer to laptop for storage or viewing. Before the update to view in the Tesla arrived, it was easy to unplug and plug into my phone for viewing while out and about too.​

Curious what size and type of device people are using for this? Are people leaning towards SD class 10 SD Card type devices, USB keys or just SSD hdds? Are there size limitations?
Thanks in advance.
The car these days comes with a 128GB rebranded Samsung stick.

Prior to this you had to buy your own.
There were two main recommendations.
1. Samsung T5 or now T7 SSD
2. Adapter (eg. SanDisk MobileMate) and a SD card designed for continuous recording (high endurance).

Most sticks won't last doing continuous recording.

I've got option 2.

Has anyone experienced this?
Latest updates, dash cam saves only about 10min of time
I thought I read somewhere it’s supposed to save 60min?
Had a near miss yesterday (someone in front lost their load) and when I looked up the recordings, could not even find that part of the recording
Neither before or after ….

Latest updates, dash cam saves only about 10min of time
I thought I read somewhere it’s supposed to save 60min?
Had a near miss yesterday (someone in front lost their load) and when I looked up the recordings, could not even find that part of the recording

It has always been the most recent 10 minutes. If an incident happens that you wish to keep the recording of, you need to hit the dashcam icon to save the most recent 10 minutes (I have that icon in my dock). If you don’t do that, recordings will continue to be cycled.

Thanks I must have misunderstood the info. So hitting the icon just after will record the 10min?

What’s strange also is the 10min recorded seems to be from beginning of trip not end, which one would expect if it cycled thru it

It has always been the most recent 10 minutes. If an incident happens that you wish to keep the recording of, you need to hit the dashcam icon to save the most recent 10 minutes (I have that icon in my dock). If you don’t do that, recordings will continue to be cycled.

Thanks
Tested today and seems to work
It’s still a mystery sometimes how the sentry records and for how long but have accepted its quirks

Reactions: Vostok