Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Behavior Question - 2021 M3P on 2021.32.22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to experiment with Sentry mode this morning ahead of a trip I have coming up where I might (if I get a parking spot that has power for the week) use Sentry mode.

On my first try, I enabled Sentry remotely and left my phone in the house. Some of my walking around the car definitely lit up the screen with the recording alert. I pulled on the door handles and tapped on the car some. It never flashed the lights... just lit up the screen inside. When I came back later to move the car for another reason, I looked in the Sentry section of the viewer and only had one half second clip of me opening the door. Nothing else I had done to trigger the recording warning was there. Odd.

After having moved the car, I left Sentry on and came back outside later without my phone (card in my wallet), walked up beside the car, pulled on the door handles and lightly wobbled the car by pushing above the driver's door. The recording display did light up as before. I never saw any lights flash on the car, though. It's full daylight, so perhaps I didn't see it depending on which of the front lights might come on?

I unlocked with my card, did see a sentry warning on the screen and the playback did give me the ten minute segment with me messing with the car. That's an improvement. I need to try this a few more time to see if it's consistent.

My main question right now: under what conditions does the car flash lights as a warning in addition to the screen lighting up? I'm looking for a full alarm here (which, I gather, plays classical music!?)... but I thought the car flashed some of the lights. Is that only a nighttime thing or does it require a higher level of trigger short of the alarm?

I'm using the Tesla 128GB stick that came with the car right now.

I have a late 2019 M3 and sentry works fine. Never had the alarm go off, but sentry does record if you walk pass the car. I think you have to physically break into the car for the alarm to go off. The headlights give a quick flash, and the the red eyeball with Sentry on is displayed on the screen if you get close to the car.

Reactions: KL0809
I have a late 2019 M3 and sentry works fine. Never had the alarm go off, but sentry does record if you walk pass the car. I think you have to physically break into the car for the alarm to go off. The headlights give a quick flash, and the the red eyeball with Sentry on is displayed on the screen if you get close to the car.

Yes, it's this flash of the lights I don't think I was seeing (just the screen coming on and saying it was recording) - but perhaps it wasn't obvious enough in daylight the way I was situated by the driver's side door. Do the turn signals or other non-headlights flash in this process, too?

Thanks!

Yes, it's this flash of the lights I don't think I was seeing (just the screen coming on and saying it was recording) - but perhaps it wasn't obvious enough in daylight the way I was situated by the driver's side door. Do the turn signals or other non-headlights flash in this process, too?

Thanks!
If I remember correctly just the headlights flash. It's quick.