Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry cam fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I have sentry mode enabled and it picks up the most ridiculous clips sometimes for no reason. But tonight I was parked up and when I got back to my car two of my tyres were flat with small slices to the side wall along with the car next to me. Should my cameras not have captured this? Because they havnt and they were working as they recorded a clip of someone trying to park behind me, very frustrating.

Hi guys, I have sentry mode enabled and it picks up the most ridiculous clips sometimes for no reason. But tonight I was parked up and when I got back to my car two of my tyres were flat with small slices to the side wall along with the car next to me. Should my cameras not have captured this? Because they havnt and they were working as they recorded a clip of someone trying to park behind me, very frustrating.
I would also suggest checking recent clips folder on a computer. There may still be footage there.
If your drive is large enough (such that it wouldn't be overwritten), you can also try using Recuva to recover deleted video clips.
Dashcam in Auto

This is my fear if I should ever need sentry mode. It uses some sort of AI to determine if it really needs to record something but I've found it is not very "intelligent". They do that to limit getting a ton of triggers. I tweeted Elon about it and asked if we could get a sensitivity setting. I know I stand a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a reply but he does respond to those sometimes.

Mike

This is my fear if I should ever need sentry mode. It uses some sort of AI to determine if it really needs to record something

FWIW this likely is too late to help you now, but for future reference-

Sentry does not record video. Ever.

Dashcam does. And it's always recording if the car is awake.

It records a 1 hour loop on the key, and overwrites stuff more than 1 hour old.

What sentry does, is if it goes to alert mode, it moves the existing dashcam video from the last 10 minutes into the sentry folder--- which will NOT be overwritten unless the drive is nearly out of space.

So the car recorded what happened, it just sounds like sentry didn't alert to move the video over to a safer folder for long term storage.

So if sentry fails to alert to an event, as long as it happened less than an hour ago, the video is still there on the key if you pull it out and stick it in a computer and look for it there.

• Informative
Reactions: cgell
So since you can't move those clips in the car, I suppose if something like that happens it would be best to unmount the drive and unplug it. Then drive home and see if the clip is still on the drive? Otherwise just driving home could overwrite it.

Mike

Reactions: OsoFlaca
Yeah- anytime you realize you need something that might be in the 1 hour buffer, but is more than 10 minutes old, the safest thing is to pull the key out ASAP. (if it's less than 10 minutes old you can tap the icon or (if configured) honk your horn and it'll move the last 10 minutes to the "saved" folder which never gets overwritten.)

In theory you can also just turn off dashcam recording (hold down the button till the red light goes off) and leave the key plugged in till you get home, but I wouldn't risk something causing it to turn back on and just physically pull it anyway.

Reactions: MikeyC
In that case, I have two enhancement requests. One is senty mode sentivity (less, standard, and more would help): to choose when sentry mode decides to pick up clips. And second, the ability to choose the rolling window. It's an hour now, but I have a 500GB SSD in the car. I'd like to be able to choose 8 or 10 hours and that should be available for those of us who have larger drives, particularly if it's already recording them anyway for an hour as it is now. I don't see some extra clips making sentry mode's ability to pick up recent recordings any harder or slower: it's just drive space. That way it could operate more like a true dashcam. There have been several times when I realize a day later that I forgot to press the dashcam button and I want to go back and review something from the day before.

Mike