Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry cam recording constantly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a 2021 M3P non-fsd. My software was updated to 2021.32.21 the other day and several times since then sentry mode has been recording hundreds of clips while parked in my garage. Initially it only seemed to be occurring in the morning before driving to work but today after work it recorded 100+ clips while parked in my garage garage and charging. I'm not really sure why it's doing this and it hadn't been an issue before the recent update. Should I just take it to a service center?

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I would but I don't have a side door on my detached garage and sentry mode already recorded one person entering my garage at 3am. I should put a door on it but I also think that there is an issue that needs to be resolved with the sentry cam.

• Disagree
It is an ongoing thing. You are “lucky” you haven’t had it until now. Mine has always done it parked in the drive, but only at night! Reporting it to Tesla resulted in a “it will be fixed in a future update” response.
And, I disagree about disabling Sentry at home (which I have had to do), I my case it is a vulnerable environment. I expect Tesla will compensate us because we have had to disable this “feature“ and something happens that it might have deterred and recorded!

• Disagree
I must agree using sentry at home is not very bright idea. It will eat your memory and battery. Buy ring or Nest cam or any other security cam available on the market. Lol and no Tesla is not going to compensate you.

I would but I don't have a side door on my detached garage and sentry mode already recorded one person entering my garage at 3am. I should put a door on it but I also think that there is an issue that needs to be resolved with the sentry cam.

The SC wont be able to do anything (nothing) to help you with this, so if you take it to them you will be wasting both your time, and theirs. Sentry mode uses 1-2 miles an hour of range (energy) from your battery, whether it is triggering events or not, because it It keeps your car awake. If, conservatively, your car is parked at home 10 hours a night, and sentry mode uses 15 miles of energy a night (again, whether it records anything or not), thats:

15 miles a day, 105 miles a week, or 5460 miles range (energy) just sitting in your garage. If you are like the average person and drive 12,000 miles a year, thats 45% more energy used on your battery "just sitting there".

I am just trying to put in perspective how much energy not letting your car sleep is using, and also re iterating that it doesnt matter if the car is recording or not, that energy is being used because the car is being kept awake.

A door will cost you a lot less, both in wear on your battery, and likely in actual dollars. Whether the firmware is making it trigger more than it used to is not relevant to this amount of energy usage. The recordings may be annoying, but are not using an appreciable amount of energy, because the car is awake already.

It is an ongoing thing. You ar I expect Tesla will compensate us because we have had to disable this “feature“ and something happens that it might have deterred and recorded!
Lol.... no, that isnt happening, and I cant even believe someone would post something like this seriously, so this must be humor.