Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Catches Burglary of ANOTHER Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If only someone would rent some time on one of those giant video screens they have in cities and run all the captured thief/vandal videos uncensored on it. Let the public see if they recognise the plates or the people.

1) Good call about it being two different people. But from the clips, which are continuous, it’s the same car. They looked into 3 cars in as many minutes, including mine. Broke into 1.

2) Rear seats were not folded down.

3) I didn’t post it here but yes, I have a crystal clear shot of the license plate.

4) Car burglaries in SF are an epidemic.

I'm willing to guarantee the police won't do a damn thing (not even ask for your video or license plate recorded), that's why it's such a problem in San Francisco, there's no consequences for these guys, police would rather sit at Starbucks & Phil's in Noe Valley since they are allowed to ignore non life threatening calls (they claim to be too busy to respond to anything else)

• Disagree
Reactions: devilmountain
1) Good call about it being two different people. But from the clips, which are continuous, it’s the same car. They looked into 3 cars in as many minutes, including mine. Broke into 1.

2) Rear seats were not folded down.

3) I didn’t post it here but yes, I have a crystal clear shot of the license plate.

4) Car burglaries in SF are an epidemic.
- - - -
Totally agree and we're really glad you posted this. We need to rally around for the whole Bay Area!

A month ago I stopped a cop that was driving around a lake area that is know for smash and grabs. He did not know that most Tesla's could record video. After showing him the different views he was impressed and said he would spread the word to other cops. Hopefully Tesla's go from being a target to known for protecting themselves and other vehicles.

Yes! We all need to help get the word out.

Yeah, I watched a night-time TV show that did a story on the blatant smash and grabs in SF. They confronted the thief and he was beligerent: no remorse, even with a camera in his face. The real irony is that another thief broke into the news van and completely emptied all their equipment while they were interviewing a neighbor. SF is messed up...

once thieves know about tesla sentry mode, they will also find out that they can just snatch the thumb drive and take the evidence with them...

Elon posted that some footage (assume when an actual Alarm is triggered, not just an alert) gets stored temporarily back at Tesla in addition to it being written to the flash drive. No other details I've seen but his response on twitter was in reply to someone asking about the possibility of the car being broken into and thieves searching the interior and taking the drive. Think he said that they anticipated that being a possibility. I will say having had our car's Alarm triggered while in a parking garage, the headlights start flashing, the horn repeatedly honks, the interior music is blasted (didn't hear this but others have said) and you get sent a Alarm notification. It's pretty attention getting and this will happen even before they gain access to the car, so it does put them in a precarious position if others are around to see.

Not sure how long the temp alarm footage is kept by Tesla but the owner surely knows with the notification and such that they might have a problem and if no drive, can follow up with Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and bredi
Very tempting, but I don’t want to encourage the kind of vigilante stuff that could end in violence. I gave it to the police, I’ll give it to the security team for the property.
Most likely either the plates or the vehicle is stolen so I’m not sure how helpful that’ll be. Most of these scumbags are unfortunately not stupid and they know better than to do break ins with their own vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: alex_415
I'm amazed how threads like this become a platform for
all this sharia law and order spouting. Sure, cut off the
hand of every petty thief. But given all the real world
problems we're dealing with, have these vocal people
ever really thought about how to allocate finite police
resources? And when cities propose raising taxes to
pay for more resources, they're the first to complain about
big government. Guys, it's a difficult issue for all of us,
but why don't you then come up with practical ideas?
How much of the total police force should be allocated
to patrolling parking lots? How much of the court docket
should be allocated to trying petty larceny cases?

Showing that there's nothing to steal in the car by
dropping the back seats is probably the best start.

Wow, efficient. Those dudes were working out of both sides of that Jeep! Usually I try to park with no cars next to me, so they can't ding my doors, but now I realize the thieves like to pull in, then surreptitiously look into the cars next to them. Or at least that's how they do it in the daytime.