TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Confusion - Random Triggers

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by LEE3, Sep 8, 2019.

1. LEE3

LEE3 Member

I returned from a weeks holiday to find the car stating the 128gb memory card was full.

On checking the footage there are literally hundreds of sentry clips of absolutely nothing. No people present no passing cars etc. No obvious triggers whatsoever.

Is anyone else finding this?

In this instance the car was parked at the back of three other cars on the drive effectively boxing it in for security purposes so even if passing cars on the road was triggering sentry I would have thought having another car in front would prevent the unnecessary alerts.

Could a hedge moving in the wind create alerts? It will be annoying to have the card full every four weeks for no real reason.

2. GM99

GM99 Member

I’ve only just got my USB working for Sentry mode but looks like I’m going to have a similar issue. Had a few false / no alarms in the first 30 mins!

3. m3gt2

m3gt2 Member

Can you set the car to just record as a dashcam when driving but no Sentry when parked up?

4. DaveW

DaveW Member

It also seems to record a tonne of video for each trigger, mostly of nothing.

Was quite happy I’d got my Sentry to Google Drive upload working (Pi Zero) but it often cant get everything uploaded in time, even when there’s only been a small amount of triggers.

Now ordered a Pi UPS to go with it! Hopefully it’ll be refined a bit in v10, great idea, but implementation has a way to go.

5. GM99

GM99 Member

Hi @DaveW,

Have you got any info on how to manage the upload to Google Drive.
    Was thinking that there must be a better way than having to remove the USB every time you wanted to view footage!

6. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

Yes, sentry mode is separate.

• Like x 1
  7. DaveW

DaveW Member

• Informative x 2
  8. AlternateFlux

AlternateFlux Local Vendor - The UK & Ireland

Yep. Phantom triggers, random recordings and incidents that should have been captured but haven't been.

Sentry mode is very much beta in my experience.

9. Yev000

Yev000 Member

10. DaveW

DaveW Member

Not sure @Yev000 - Using the guide I linked to in that entry you can upload to a NAS drive with it

11. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Although Sentry Mode is enabled on my HW2 2017 MX, I've never ever had a text alert or returned to the car to find alerts on the screen, even after activating it on purpose.

What's the point if all it does is display the HAL eye on the MCU?

12. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

For HW2 that pretty much is the only point...

People complained that if it didn't appear to be recording then thieves would assume it was safe to break in, so Tesla added the fake recording mode to keep people happy.

13. davidmc

davidmc Member

Do you think a Sim Card adaptor for the Pi would work ? This way it could upload footage without wifi to google drive and using a Three network sim with unlimited data? - Could be an alternative way to view footage and be notified on your phone when new data gets saved to your google drive?

One like this?

https://sixfab.com/product/raspberry-pi-4g-lte-shield-kit/

14. DaveW

DaveW Member

Maybe @davidmc but you'd need to get it to talk via that, I guess another option would be a mobile hotspot.

My UPS solution arrived today, despite looking like an IED it'll hopefully do the job, I'll test it when I get home today :)

• Like x 1
  15. davidmc

davidmc Member

Tell us how it goes :)

I'm just waiting on the R-Pi's to be back in stock!

16. davidmc

davidmc Member

It seems that if its raining you will get a lot of Sentry Triggers!

I had 45 Triggers this morning at around 3am when it rained! - painful to watch all!

17. LEE3

LEE3 Member

I wish you could adjust the alerts to only generate recordings if the alarm is actually triggered.

18. Grymbok

Grymbok Member

You may have realised this already but - in my experience whenever Sentry triggers it creates 10 one minute files, the same as Dashcam. Unless the actual trigger was something very serious, the first nine files will always have nothing interesting in them, and can just be skipped. The 10th one is the actual trigger event. Which in my experience so far is usually either someone walking by, or the next bay being used if it's in a car park.

• Like x 1