Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry issue after latest update!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed the .32 update this past weekend, ever since I did that sentry mode is not letting me tap on the events that show up on the screen, also the dash cam does not appear on the screen with the red light anymore even though it is turned on, something is jacked up with sentry mode due to this latest update at least on my car. Never had a single issue before.

I recently installed the .32 update this past weekend, ever since I did that sentry mode is not letting me tap on the events that show up on the screen, also the dash cam does not appear on the screen with the red light anymore even though it is turned on, something is jacked up with sentry mode due to this latest update at least on my car. Never had a single issue before.
if the camera icon is no longer appearing, it sounds like there's a problem with your USB drive. Try unplugging and re-inserting it or using another drive.

im going to pull it out and format it with my PC, there was nothing at all wrong though before the update, maybe the update jacked up the file system on it, do you know what it should be formatted as (file system etc..?)
According to the owner's manual:

To correctly save and retrieve video footage, Model Y requires the USB flash drive to be formatted as exFAT, FAT 32 (for Windows), MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4. NTFS is currently not supported. In addition, the USB flash drive must contain a base-level folder called “TeslaCam” (without quotation marks).

im going to pull it out and format it with my PC, there was nothing at all wrong though before the update, maybe the update jacked up the file system on it, do you know what it should be formatted as (file system etc..?)
If it is recognized by the car when it is plugged in, you can simply format it from the menu in the car -- the car will take care of using the preferred format and putting the correct folders on the drive. I had something similar happen to our Model 3 after a recent update - the card wasn't recognized and I fixed it by reinserting and formatting (Note: I also had to remove the USB hub for the card to be re-recognized by the car. After formatting, I was able to use the hub again).

My July '21 build MYLR is on software version 2021.36 I cannot get Sentry mode to work at all. I am using the 128gb "Tesla" drive in the glovebox that came with the car. The screen will show that Sentry is recording and when I get in the car it shows the number of Sentry events and to tap to see them. But the Sentry events do not get written to the USB drive and they are not in the car's onboard memory" I do have what I believe to be an "alarm" event from 9-13 stuck in the onboard memory. I cannot delete it. I wanted to check here before I made an appointment with Tesla Service. I will try to source another card bigger than 32gb to see if it's a bad drive. I doubt it is as the dashcam footage seems to work just fine.

Anybody have Sentry working with software 2021.36? Thanks.

UPDATE: When I put the USB drive in my Windows 10 machine is says the drive is corrupt and allows me to repair it. It does this every time I take it from the car to the laptop. I am trying a long Exfat format using my laptop. If that doesn't work I'll reach out to Tesla service. It seems odd that Dashcam footage is working.

Last edited:
My July '21 build MYLR is on software version 2021.36 I cannot get Sentry mode to work at all. I am using the 128gb "Tesla" drive in the glovebox that came with the car. The screen will show that Sentry is recording and when I get in the car it shows the number of Sentry events and to tap to see them. But the Sentry events do not get written to the USB drive and they are not in the car's onboard memory" I do have what I believe to be an "alarm" event from 9-13 stuck in the onboard memory. I cannot delete it. I wanted to check here before I made an appointment with Tesla Service. I will try to source another card bigger than 32gb to see if it's a bad drive. I doubt it is as the dashcam footage seems to work just fine.

Anybody have Sentry working with software 2021.36? Thanks.

UPDATE: When I put the USB drive in my Windows 10 machine is says the drive is corrupt and allows me to repair it. It does this every time I take it from the car to the laptop. I am trying a long Exfat format using my laptop. If that doesn't work I'll reach out to Tesla service. It seems odd that Dashcam footage is working.
The easiest way to format the drive is from the car:

To format a flash drive from inside Model Y, simply insert a USB flash drive into a front USB port, and touch Safety & Security > FORMAT USB DEVICE. Doing so formats the drive as exFAT and automatically creates a TeslaCam folder. The USB flash drive is now ready to record and save video footage.

The easiest way to format the drive is from the car:

To format a flash drive from inside Model Y, simply insert a USB flash drive into a front USB port, and touch Safety & Security > FORMAT USB DEVICE. Doing so formats the drive as exFAT and automatically creates a TeslaCam folder. The USB flash drive is now ready to record and save video footage.
Thanks. I have done that many times with no luck. I may have to start a new thread to see if anyone with my software version has Sentry working.