Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Keeper- free Windows software to manage your Sentry videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I merge videos I end up /w what looks like mostly duplicate files /w a few KB difference. Is this expected

upload_2020-3-27_13-43-30.png

So the in-car viewing is awesome but pretty basic. When I had heard they were adding this function I assumed SentryKeeper's days were numbered, but I'm thinking there may still be some room for updates. Anyone have suggestions for features they would like to see? One thing I'm planning on adding is left-right camera flipping. Apparently in the UK, the camera names are reversed.

@astrowunder thank you for the great viewer! Are you planning to start using "event.json" files Tesla now saves in each Sentry event folder that contain time stamp of the event and event description?

Here is example of some of them
{
"timestamp":"2020-07-22T01:30:21",
"city":"City Name",
"est_lat":"39.348",
"est_lon":"-60.353",
"reason":"sentry_aware_accel_0.443422"
}

{
"timestamp":"2020-07-22T03:34:06",
"reason":"sentry_aware_object_detection"
}

Reactions: PittCaleb
@astrowunder thank you for the great viewer! Are you planning to start using "event.json" files Tesla now saves in each Sentry event folder that contain time stamp of the event and event description?

{
}

{
}

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention- I certainly will, as soon as I get the update that includes this. I'm getting HW3 next week so hopefully that will happen at the same time.

Reactions: jjrandorin
If play speed is at x4 or x8 during switch to new set of files, the pictures is distorted (see below). To fix, must slow down to at least x2 playback, then can speed up again OR click on a file time slider.

Using Sentry Keeper on Windows 7 x64, Intel i7-8700 with SSD drives and 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTS 250 GPU

upload_2020-7-30_9-1-13.png

If play speed is at x4 or x8 during switch to new set of files, the pictures is distorted (see below). To fix, must slow down to at least x2 playback, then can speed up again OR click on a file time slider.

Using Sentry Keeper on Windows 7 x64, Intel i7-8700 with SSD drives and 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTS 250 GPU

View attachment 570527

Interesting- this is not happening me. I suggest seeing if you can download an update to Windows Media Player for Win 7 to see if that helps.

Do you know what sentry_aware_accel_0.443422 means?

I got an alarm notification but the video files got corrupted. I have sentry_aware_accel_0.539171 as the reason in the event.json file.

{
}

{
}

Hi Everyone,

I wrote this software to manage my TeslaCam videos. Feel free to download it and kick the tires. Let me know if you have feature requests or find any bugs. This software is free- I'm hoping it's ok to post this here. This uses the built-in windows media player. If you don't have that installed, the program won't work, but it's installed by default with Windows.

I'm afraid the development system I use doesn't support Mac computers- sorry.

Sentry Keeper Download
This is really great and you seem to be adding more useful features. Suggestions:
- Can you display the data in the 'event.json' file, if it exists ? There is a reason & a location.
- The location provided often an unknown town, esp if you are driving in a new area. A Google map of the lat/long would be cool. Pls allow zoom in & out.
- For those that have a "smart USB" drive, an option to keep the Tesla awake while your app is running would be nice. Such a drive would allow viewing the clips via WiFi without having to unplug the drive from the car. (Google "Sentry Saver Pejaver"). I can provide the code, or you can find it online.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sorry guys- I'm finally getting back to this. I assumed Tesla would have a better solution to the sentry event alerts by now, but I really don't like their implementation so far, so I'm going to roll my own. I'm planning on giving an option to open a google map with the exact coordinates of an alert or save. Probably will take me a few weeks to finish it up.

- For those that have a "smart USB" drive, an option to keep the Tesla awake while your app is running would be nice. Such a drive would allow viewing the clips via WiFi without having to unplug the drive from the car. (Google "Sentry Saver Pejaver"). I can provide the code, or you can find it online.
Thanks again.

That sounds great- any chance you know of a command-line type option I could call from SentryKeeper to do that? If there's something I can call directly rather than have to learn all the ins and outs of the Tesla API it would save me a ton of time and I don't think I'm going to be tackling that API in the near future