Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sentry live mode not available in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: This post plus a few replies downthread were merged from another thread on the same topic.

Hi All

I just got 2021.40.6 last night, and my (android) app is on 4.3.0. I thought this would enable the remote sentry mode feature but nothing yet. The feature was not in the release notes and I poured though the Safety menu and there is nothing to enable. Is this happening to others with the same location/vehicle/configuration/software?

I hope I didn't miss anything obvious...

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, no live sentry mode in Canada, because canadian laws regarding privacy don't allow it unfortunately.
In the release notes of the update you usually get on the car screen after the update is completed, all new features of the 2021.40.6 are listed, except for this one if you're in a country that won't allow Live Sentry mode like in Canada...

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus
Do you have a source for that?

There are cameras everywhere nowadays. Not sure why live viewing a car's camera would break any laws.

I was more referring to the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms which says that every person has a right to respect for his private life. There have been several cases in multiple cities of people worries about their neighbours' cameras filming their backyard and signalling it to the police.

However you're right, you won't go to jail for having cameras installed around your home potentially filming your neighbours property. But still, I suspect those privacy concerns and principles as drafted in the Canadian Charter to be one of the reasons why Tesla did not release live sentry mode in Canada.

Last edited:
I was more referring to the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms which says that every person has a right to respect for his private life. There have been several cases in multiple cities of people worries about their neighbours' cameras filming their backyard and signalling it to the police.

However you're right, you won't go to jail for having cameras installed around your home potentially filming your neighbours property. But still, I suspect those privacy concerns and principles as drafted in the Canadian Charter to be one of the reasons why Tesla did not release live sentry mode in Canada.

The massively misunderstood Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is really only relevant to government's interactions with the people of Canada, not to private activities between people and companies.

If the reason for the block is legal, it would be some specific privacy law(s), not the broad charter.

For things like Disney+ I'm sure there's some legal aspect. Movie distribution has always been a per-country thing. I can't watch Hulu from Canada on the web for example. Hopefully one day that changes.
Live Camera view and things like that might be legal but it might also just be that they deploy one country at a time to see how it goes. With fsd, the AI system needs to learn a different set of road markings and panels so that's why it's not worldwide at once. There are various reasons, depending on what we'Re talking about.
Disney+ is the solution to that problem. By distributing it themselves, they don't need to have complex distribution rights in place. Disney has made Disney+ available in Canada, so it must just be that Disney either does not want the app in the car outside the US, or has some requirements Tesla can't deliver on. Could be rating related or something.

Reactions: GtiMart

100% agree that is the reason. Legal not data rates. I am not an Attorney (my wife is) and suspects that at home you are protecting your personal property and the land it sits on. In the car, you are in the public domain. Could/could not be the reason but does hold some water.