Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry missed a parking lot accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

md99

May 24, 2021
Utah
Hey all - I've loved having my Model Y but was definitely let down yesterday. I was parked in what I thought was a safe space but got a notification that my alarm was going off. I was 15 minutes from the car so I pulled up the live cameras and couldn't see anything. Got to the car a bit later and saw someone had likely turned too sharply and scrapped my front left fender/bumper. Tore up the PPF and scratched the car, but I haven't seen dents. Stuff happens, but I was disappointed to see the car didn't record anything. I had an event a couple hours earlier (nothing had happened) and it captured me next to the car, but that's all.

Not really asking a question unless there may be a secret recording of the event I am not finding, but just disappointed and wanted to share. I chatted with Tesla customer support and they did what they could but came to the same conclusion. Or maybe my question is has anyone else had this happen or know if it is common?

Overall love the car, but feel let down.

TL/DR: Someone hit my car in a parking lot. Sentry set off the alarm but didn't record anything.

...feel let down...

I am not sure if this would help but by pushing the horn or manually saving the TeslaCam, it should save the last 10 minutes from that action.

Since TeslaCam is not a traditional dashcam, some owners have installed a real dashcam just in case the TeslaCam fails to record important incidents.

Reactions: md99
Hey all - I've loved having my Model Y but was definitely let down yesterday. I was parked in what I thought was a safe space but got a notification that my alarm was going off. I was 15 minutes from the car so I pulled up the live cameras and couldn't see anything. Got to the car a bit later and saw someone had likely turned too sharply and scrapped my front left fender/bumper. Tore up the PPF and scratched the car, but I haven't seen dents. Stuff happens, but I was disappointed to see the car didn't record anything. I had an event a couple hours earlier (nothing had happened) and it captured me next to the car, but that's all.

Not really asking a question unless there may be a secret recording of the event I am not finding, but just disappointed and wanted to share. I chatted with Tesla customer support and they did what they could but came to the same conclusion. Or maybe my question is has anyone else had this happen or know if it is common?

Overall love the car, but feel let down.

TL/DR: Someone hit my car in a parking lot. Sentry set off the alarm but didn't record anything.
Since you got the notification that means Sentry detected the event. Additionally the car sensors also detect any movement ( push )when the car is locked and sends an alarm. I am not sure why the camera did not record the event. you need to re- create the situation by heavily leaning on the car and see if Sentry is recording the event so that you can de-bug why it did not work . The only other possibility I can think of is that the Battery went <20% and sentry stopped recording.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Since you got the notification that means Sentry detected the event. Additionally the car sensors also detect any movement ( push )when the car is locked and sends an alarm. I am not sure why the camera did not record the event. you need to re- create the situation by heavily leaning on the car and see if Sentry is recording the event so that you can de-bug why it did not work . The only other possibility I can think of is that the Battery went <20% and sentry stopped recording.
My current Model Y EDD is July at present.

So, I have been giving thought to the cameras and what they record. Having been an early GoPro adopter (but now using cheaper alternatives), firstly on my motor bike, then the car (front and back) and now on my bicycle helmet, I am used to making longer recordings.

My question (finally:rolleyes:) Can the short loop of the Tesla cameras be changed to continuous recording when moving if a high capacity solid state storage device is used?

Having regard to the increasing popularity of dash cams, not just for accident records but also to capture anything of interest on a trip, it would seem obvious to provide a continuous recording option. Also, tooting the horn to capture the last ten minutes before and during an accident, is all very fine if one is able so to do after an impact.

Otherwise, and is seems so counter to the spirit of our high tech cars, that I will have to continue using an old school dash cam.

Last edited:
A couple of things.

1. First, was Sentry actually on? Sometimes when a software update occurs you have to re-enable it, so check if you see that little red dot in the corner of the camera icon and if you see the red Sentry symbol next to it when parked.
  2. You may have the footage. Open the DashCam as you would to view recordings and see if there is anything to “download.” If there is that may be the incident. Make sure you have the memory card inserted first.
Good luck!

Reactions: Zrezidentz
Hi all,

I have a Model 3 from 2019. I had 2 accidents so far, in both cases someone hit my parked Tesla.

Accident 1: February 2022 - In a train for cars, the guy in front forgot the breaks, came backwards and hit it my car very seriously. I was in the car, with all systems on. USB card inside and with space available. Sentry mode on (although you can argue maybe it was not on with the driver inside). And yes, I even honked.

Accident 2: January 2023 (a few days ago), someone hit my car in the parking garage. I was not there. Again, USB card inside and with space available. Sentry mode on.

In both cases, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING got recorded but I got a notification in the app that the car alarm has been triggered.

The Tesla Service people keep asking if I have an original USB stick from Tesla, if it is formatted properly and to apply the latest updates. I applied a ton of updates since Accident 1 which happened a year ago.

My car didn't come with any original USB stick so I have bought a high performance Sandisk (Extreme PRO Sold State Flash Drive USB 3.1 256 GB), formatted properly and on it the car records a ton of footage, every time when someone passed by it.

But when there is an impact, nothing gets recorded! I find this an unacceptable flaw.

-Codrin

Sentry mode should record the video to a properly formatted USB drive with available space if triggered. It saves it in the Sentry folder/menu.

Honking only saves a video if in Drive (to my knowledge), and even then if you have that option in the settings enabled (I believe). At any time, you can tap the dashcam button and save a dashcam clip.

Sentry mode is not active when driving.

There was a software version a while ago that had a glitch and would cause the USB drive to not load/work. It's since been resolved, but if you have not updated your car's software in a while you could be using that faulty software.

Additionally, if you are noticing this more than once then it's probably a faulty USB drive. Regardless of which you buy, they do not always have the longest build quality or life. I've had one die on me as well, but of course it doesn't tell you.

You could also make sure you do not have the option to disable sentry at home enabled, and the location where you were accidentally labeled as your home. However, it appears that is not the issue because sentry mode alerted you.

I am not aware of any way to recover the video for the scenario you described.

If sentry mode is not on, does it still notify via the app that an event has occurred?
A couple of things.

1. First, was Sentry actually on? Sometimes when a software update occurs you have to re-enable it, so check if you see that little red dot in the corner of the camera icon and if you see the red Sentry symbol next to it when parked.
  2. You may have the footage. Open the DashCam as you would to view recordings and see if there is anything to “download.” If there is that may be the incident. Make sure you have the memory card inserted first.
Good luck!