Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry missed M3 trunk vandalism event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbor got his truck keyed last year at the Louisville airport. He went to pick up his wife at night. Some people have no respect for others. Did you fill out a Police report? Most likely these people have done this to other cars not just Teslas.
Sorry to hear of your neighbor's truck damage. Crazy stuff. A Deputy Sheriff took a report, and mentioned that he's had other reports from Tesla owners where Sentry didn't trigger for rear end damage. Around here (Santa Clarita, CA), catalytic converter theft is a sizeable problem, so at least we don't have to worry about that one :).

Reactions: DocHolliday
Had a nasty experience at Barrel Springs Trail car park near Palmdale, CA - a warning that Tesla haters are active there in case others venture out for a hike.

Sorry it happened to you.
If you drive long enough, in any car, eventually you will run into a##holes who do these things. I had it happen twice in my lifetime, to cars other than a Tesla.

Somehow, someone was able to deeply key scratch our Model 3's trunk without Sentry creating an event. Sentry was working fine at the time, as other events were recorded (people walking by, for example). Just not this one critical event we really needed it to work for :(.
[...]Lesson learned: clear out your Sentry drive once it's approaching full - that might help with obtaining video via undelete if Sentry misses an important event.

I'm not sure why you are obsessing with, and wasting battery on, Sentry.
That video clip would be absolutely worthless even if it was recorded. No police department and no insurance company is going to waste its time investigating a minor vandalism event. This is far below the line of priority for investigations for either, even if there was a clear picture of the offender.

File an insurance claim (or not, depending on your deductible), and get the trunk lid re-sprayed at any reputable body shop (ask local car clubs for a recommendation, or pick a body shop that works on large automotive OEMs - Toyota, Honda, etc).
Should be a quick and relatively easy repair. Expect the bill to be <$500, unless you go to a Tesla authorized shop.

a

P.S.: Look on the bright side - if you had protective film, you will be paying to replace that film and respray the trunk at 2x the cost!

Last edited:
Reactions: one2many
People have gotten lucky, and been able to find a used trunk lid online in their color, and in great shape (no need to paint). I had that luck with my old Volvo that I sold when I got my Model 3. Had a crumpled fender, and was able to find one cleaply on eBay that I replaced myself in about 30 minutes. I’d definitely try that route, as there’d be no downtime, and possibly cheaper than repairing/painting.

You may have already done this, but put it all on your computer and go through the dashcam clips as well - and it's possible the vandalism was caught on a sentry clip at an earlier/later start than the car is showing - so I would scrub through the sentry clips from start to finish too. Sorry that happened, there are some really immature and shitty people out there.

The degradation of our American Society continues to increase....or maybe I'm just getting old....either way, how sad.
1935 on a farm in America, husband lucky enough to find a job two states away, wife home on farm with five kids, hobos on the road stop by all day long asking "Maam, do you have anything to spare?" Yes or no, they thanked and continued past the unlocked barn halfway to the road. They never had anything stolen, stealing was the lowest a human could go those days. This is from a granny in her 90ies whom I met before she passed on.

2024 assault rifle to head, "Gimme all you got" give or get capped.

Global corporate greed knows no limits, the generation of drug zombies roaming our cities is the result of their parents having to work all day long to make ends meet, as opposed to the 1970ies when one laborer could support a family, buy house, and two cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and CaptUAL
I was charging my MYP at work in the parking garage. When I noticed on the Tesla app. It had stopped charging. I looked at the side and rear camera. I saw the mobile connector plugged in to my Y. But not plugged in to the 110v outlet. It was laying on the ground. I walked to my Y. Thinking I could see the video from the Sentry mode. I had a orange Sticker on my window and a warning ticket on my windshield. No video of the incident at all. I have footage of a guy walking by. Hour’s before the event. Nothing of the event. I have emailed the parking garage. To inform them of there wrong doing. There wasn’t a sign posted or any info saying not to charge from a 110v outlet. They have 2 EV charging stations but they are always full. I’m wondering if my USB 128gb Tesla OEM drive was full and it didn’t record. Idk. So I ordered a Samsung T7 SSD today. I will try that out next week. I’m glad it wasn’t vandalism. Only a jerk at the parking garage.

Wow that is some deep damage. Sorry you're going through this. I think I averted a similar issue two days ago while I was sitting in my car parked eating my lunch. A random dude looked over, saw my Tesla, then started walking slowly over to it, just staring at it (he was wearing gloves on both hands), got close enough to see me sitting in it, paused and then walked away. I feel like it was a vandalism event averted because he was a worker with a work truck working on-site at the office building next to the parking lot. Super odd behavior none-the-less. Hope its not too expensive for you to get this addressed. Keep in mind that you should be able to make a comprehensive insurrance claim without the ding on your insurance or any insurance increase at all.