Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode active with no usb?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed the usb and drove to work. When I check the app an hour later it says sentry mode active but I have not reinstalled the drive? Is it possible that they are streaming to the cloud???
Sentry Mode will still alert without a drive. Tesla has said they are storing clips for a couple days (for learning purposes), but it doesn't appear there is a way for the customer to access them at this time.

When I approached the car and pulled the handle (without my phone) I still got the big red "eye" saying you are being recorded... I don't remember the system working like this before.

It did.

It always worked that way.

Sentry mode doesn't record anything (despite the wording on the screen)

Dashcam records.

All Sentry does is the display/alert/alarm stuff, and when it goes to alert mode it copies the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage to the separate saved folder.

Any deterrent is good. Most people just want to take a look at the interior (especially if it's a white one :D)

Maybe having it enable will allow for notifications if something did happen but it just doesn't record (or maybe clouds the minutes before and after the incident from RAM?). That'd be a great sell for premium connectivity.

The only Sentry footage saved in the car’s memory is from an Sentry alarm event, not regular Sentry events.

The comment about Sentry not recording anything isn’t quite right. The dashcam only records while parked if Sentry Mode is enabled. When a Sentry event occur, the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage is moved (not copied) to the SentryClips folder.

If you weren’t using the dashcam when someone hit your car, you’re out of luck.

The only Sentry footage saved in the car’s memory is from an Sentry alarm event, not regular Sentry events.

The comment about Sentry not recording anything isn’t quite right.

Yes, it is.

The dashcam only records while parked if Sentry Mode is enabled.

Nope.

If the car is awake, dashcam is recording (assuming recording media is attached) no matter if you're in park, drive, reverse, etc...

Sentry being on or off has no impact on this, other than being on keeps the car awake after you lock it and walk away.

My dashcam doesn’t continue to record once I’ve left the car (unless Sentry Mode is enabled), but the car doesn’t go to sleep immediately. I’ve looked at the footage and there’s nothing being recorded in my garage after I leave the car.

Then somethings wrong with the car.

See all the tons of threads of folks confused about why their USB drive has tons of footage of sitting parked in their garage :)

Also see page 74 of the owners manual- it's pretty clear dashcam will begin recording automatically when you insert USB storage, and will do so as long as the car is powered on. (barring you manually telling it to stop, or when the viewer is open)

Only thing sentry does in this regard is KEEP it powered when it would otherwise sleep.

EDIT- when are you looking? I vaguely recall folks mentioning that it'll reset the recent clips if it's been asleep more than an hour-as intent is to only ever have the most recent 60 minutes in there- in which case you wouldn't see anything if was asleep that long- never checked this myself)

I'd argue that my car is working correctly, and it's the others that aren't. :)

I just reviewed the latest dashcam footage from my Model S (in RecentClips), which is from my last drive 2 days ago. That footage ends after arriving home, about 25 seconds after we got out of the car. According to TeslaFi, the car didn't sleep until 43 minutes later. I have build 2021.4.12.

Maybe some of the people with footage from their garage have Sentry Mode enabled and don't realize it. Maybe it's something else. I don't often look at the dashcam footage, but when I do, I've never had lots of footage from inside my garage.

I'd argue that my car is working correctly, and it's the others that aren't. :)

I just reviewed the latest dashcam footage from my Model S (in RecentClips), which is from my last drive 2 days ago. That footage ends after arriving home, about 25 seconds after we got out of the car. According to TeslaFi, the car didn't sleep until 43 minutes later. I have build 2021.4.12.

FWIW any car running 3rd party software that talks to the car isn't going to be a valid measure of when the car sleeps.

Maybe some of the people with footage from their garage have Sentry Mode enabled and don't realize it. Maybe it's something else. I don't often look at the dashcam footage, but when I do, I've never had lots of footage from inside my garage.

Again, page 74 of the manual.

If the car is awake, dashcam is supposed to be on and recording if there's valid recording media attached unless you manually turn it off or have the viewer open.

Sentry doesn't enter into this at all, other than keeping the car awake longer.

I can only tell you what my car does. Does your car record while it's parked without Sentry enabled? Does it record while it's charging? What build are you using?

You say that 3rd party software is not a reliable way of determining that your car is sleeping. What is a reliable way? You can't tell by looking.