Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

This had been on my backburner for a while and I can't seem to find the answer to this question on this forum (possible using wrong keywords) or on Google. So I hope this will log a discussion.

If Sentry mode is completely turned off with SSD drive still plugged-in and my alarm is trigger by vandalism or something like that, will Sentry mode then turn on and capture the incident? I am assuming the behavior of Sentry mode may act differently based on the software version. So I am including my current software "2023.2.12".

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

This had been on my backburner for a while and I can't seem to find the answer to this question on this forum (possible using wrong keywords) or on Google. So I hope this will log a discussion.

If Sentry mode is completely turned off with SSD drive still plugged-in and my alarm is trigger by vandalism or something like that, will Sentry mode then turn on and capture the incident? I am assuming the behavior of Sentry mode may act differently based on the software version. So I am including my current software "2023.2.12".

Thanks in advance.

Sentry mode does not record things. Sentry mode, if alerted, moves existing dashcam footage from the recent folder to the sentry folder.

If sentry is on, the car stays awake- which lets dashcam keep recording, providing footage to be moved to the sentry folder during an alert.

If you turn sentry off, the car will go to sleep. In this state the cameras aren't on, and nothing is being recorded, so there'd be nothing for sentry to move over when the alarm goes off.

The car (via the dashcam feature) will record once it wakes up from the alarm going off but AFAIK sentry mode won't turn on by itself- you have to always have told the car you want it on (either manually the one time, or with one of the settings that turns it on by default when parked)- so as long as you got to the car in less than 1 hour and they didn't steal the drive the footage starting with the car waking up would still be on the drive in the recent folder (you'd want to unplug it immediately to preserve it, since recent contents get overwritten after 1 hour)

In theory you should actually be able to test this pretty easily....as long as the alarm system work similar to other vehicles...

1. Enter car, NOT driver seat
2. Make car autolock/walk away lock...or could try locking remotely through app. Ensure phone bluetooth is turned off and no keyfob present
3. Attempt to open door from the inside.

Theoretically an individual inside the vehicle should still be able to press the door button to open the door, and as long as the alarm work similar to other vehicles, the alarm should go off.

Since now with Sentry Mode the headlights don't flash but instead they pulse (which is good but I'd still rather have an option so they don't come on at all), and there is a setting to turn off the horn honking if the alarm goes off, does this also prevent the music from playing, if someone broke into the car? And if it does then why would anyone want to turn this setting on? Because is seems like you'd want as much noise as possible to scare the criminal and get attention to the break-in.