Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find anything specific on this.

I'm expecting delivery of a Model Y within the next 30 days. I have driveway, no garage, no carport, semi-busy street, and lots of people who walk past my house on a daily basis even later at night. There are some rougher neighborhoods in the vicinity that we have had some incidents in my area from time to time but nothing specific around my house.

I have 2 outdoor cameras that would catch mostly one side of the car but I'm debating whether or not to keep Sentry Mode on all the time, even when parked at home. I understand it drains the battery and doesn't allow the car to fully sleep. My concern is that if I leave it off at home, I'll miss something that I wish would have been caught that my cameras couldn't see. Again, this is all speculation and we haven't had any problems up to this point, but I'm just being overly cautious, especially with a new Tesla sitting in the driveway. Knowing my luck something will happen as soon as I don't have Sentry Mode running.

Any opinions? Is it truly bad to leave Sentry Mode on 100% of the time and not allow the car to sleep? Thanks in advance.

I don't think it's bad for the car, but it can be bad for the wallet. :)

I don't think it's bad for the car, but it can be bad for the wallet. :)
Ha, yeah that's my other concern. I'm trying to minimize the controllable costs.

Thanks for this link, it was pretty helpful. I suppose I'll try both at some point but leaning towards mostly leaving it off at home and praying that my house cameras pick up anything if needed. In the end, I'd rather do what's needed to extend the life of the car as much as possible.

Couldn't find anything specific on this.

I'm expecting delivery of a Model Y within the next 30 days. I have driveway, no garage, no carport, semi-busy street, and lots of people who walk past my house on a daily basis even later at night. There are some rougher neighborhoods in the vicinity that we have had some incidents in my area from time to time but nothing specific around my house.

I have 2 outdoor cameras that would catch mostly one side of the car but I'm debating whether or not to keep Sentry Mode on all the time, even when parked at home. I understand it drains the battery and doesn't allow the car to fully sleep. My concern is that if I leave it off at home, I'll miss something that I wish would have been caught that my cameras couldn't see. Again, this is all speculation and we haven't had any problems up to this point, but I'm just being overly cautious, especially with a new Tesla sitting in the driveway. Knowing my luck something will happen as soon as I don't have Sentry Mode running.

Any opinions? Is it truly bad to leave Sentry Mode on 100% of the time and not allow the car to sleep? Thanks in advance.
It does a number on the battery overnight. I lose at least 5% a day, probable more, with Sentry turned on.

Apart from the previous comments on consumption, you might have slightly more problems with the car. IF the car doesn't sleep, many subsystems never get to reset. As an example, I've had issues with my TPMS only when I did a road trip / 2 week vacation and didn't let the car sleep at night in the hotel parkings and my condo parking. Those are not dramatic, you can probably just reboot the car when things like this happen, but just so you know.

Apart from the previous comments on consumption, you might have slightly more problems with the car. IF the car doesn't sleep, many subsystems never get to reset. As an example, I've had issues with my TPMS only when I did a road trip / 2 week vacation and didn't let the car sleep at night in the hotel parkings and my condo parking. Those are not dramatic, you can probably just reboot the car when things like this happen, but just so you know.
Good to know. And obviously there is a big difference between not sleeping for a week or 2 because of a trip, and never sleeping when just sitting at home.

I appreciate the feedback.

Just a thought... Turn Sentry on at night and let car sleep during a day? It's more likely someone may try to steal a car when it's dark and no people around. Unfortunately, you will have to turn Sentry mode on and off manually since I don't see schedule options for this.

Reactions: Alan903
Just a thought... Turn Sentry on at night and let car sleep during a day? It's more likely someone may try to steal a car when it's dark and no people around. Unfortunately, you will have to turn Sentry mode on and off manually since I don't see schedule options for this.
Good thought but I would want it on at my work parking lot as well during the day. I'll have to weight the options.