Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I have a facelft loaner (late 2017 or 67 reg) for a few more days I thought I'd try out TeslaCam but I can't seem to get it to work. The car definitely has Sentry Mode but when I plug in a FAT32 USB drive nothing happen. I've tried two different drives.

Does the availability of Sentry Mode mean the car has TeslaCam? Both are supposed to be features only available in cars from August 2017 onwards.

Does the availability of Sentry Mode mean the car has TeslaCam? Both are supposed to be features only available in cars from August 2017 onwards.

No. AP2 cars have a version of Sentry Mode. You can activate it but it won’t record anything locally, that’s only on AP2.5 (and AP3 of course). This is probably why you’re not having any success with the USB.

Apparently there should be sticker on the body surrounding the driver's door frame showing the build year and month but although I see two stickers none seem to show this information (one is about tyre pressures and the other has the VIN number, and something to do with weights (towing?). 2017 08 is the magic start month for HW2.5 A 67 car might have been registered as early as August 2017 but may, of course, have been built several months earlier.

The software notes mention Sentry Mode but not TeslaCam so I guess it's not on the car but I don't give up easily! :D I will try a couple more USB sticks as I have a whole box of'em!

Would really like fw 2019.20 as will be doing 200 miles today...

Another unrelated question: is there a setting to record all dashcam footage until the USB drive is full, then auto delete the oldest files?

Currently, all my dashcam footage older than 1 hour is being deleted even though I have pretty of remain space on the USB drive.

On dashcam, if you have an 'incident', you need to press the camera icon. This will move the last 10 (?) minutes into saved clips.

On sentry, it just records, but at some point, does start deleting stale clips.

I've not got my head around it yet, but there is an overlap between dash and sentry, so you may find some sentry clips in saved, or drives in sentry - I think. Bit of an organisational mess, especially when it skips a few seconds at end of each minute clip so if you hut record/save too early, you miss the incident.

From what I've read so far, it looks as if using a Raspberry Pi Zero W, together with a robust µSD card and a suitable USB lead and case, gets around many of the potential limitations with the way the TeslaCam records footage.

I've just stuck a spare Raspberry Pi Zero W (cost ~£10) in a small case (cost ~£5), loaded a pre-formatted image to a µSD card (~£25) and should have a robust USB dongle that will record TeslaCam video, store music and both download all the stored video as soon as the car gets within range of our wifi and synchronise the music folder with the one on the house server.

I've yet to test it, but it looks to be a reasonably good way to store TeslaCam video.

I tried to get the Raspberry Pi Zero W solution to work but failed miserably - it never connected to the WiFi to dump its footage for some reason.

The more I drive the Model 3 the more I would like to see instant playback of Sentry events and that will be my next project.

No, but there are side sensors but not sure how much I trust them. Also summon with FSD - my comment about trust x 10 !

Just the rear view (in nrt).

That's a shame, the problem I've got is that on the left side in particular there is very little clearance from a buttress on the wall. I can fold the mirrors in but then you are blind. Oh well, I'll just have to take it slowly.