TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode and TeslaCam

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by vitesse, Jun 14, 2019.

1. vitesse

vitesse Member

While I have a facelft loaner (late 2017 or 67 reg) for a few more days I thought I'd try out TeslaCam but I can't seem to get it to work. The car definitely has Sentry Mode but when I plug in a FAT32 USB drive nothing happen. I've tried two different drives.

Does the availability of Sentry Mode mean the car has TeslaCam? Both are supposed to be features only available in cars from August 2017 onwards.

2. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

No. AP2 cars have a version of Sentry Mode. You can activate it but it won’t record anything locally, that’s only on AP2.5 (and AP3 of course). This is probably why you’re not having any success with the USB.

• Informative x 2
  3. vitesse

vitesse Member

OK, thanks!

4. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

67 Reg should be 2.5 I would have thought? Mine is anyway (Feb 18). Did you remember to create a Tesla directory on the USB drive? Otherwise it won't work

5. ArunG

ArunG New Member

Yip, you need to have a folder called TeslaCam folder on the USB drive

6. ArunG

ArunG New Member

Sorry, folder should be called "TeslaCam"

7. vitesse

vitesse Member

Yes, TeslaCam folder. FAT32. What's the best way of verifying the car is HW2.5?

8. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

I have an Aug 17 with 2.5.

9. vitesse

vitesse Member

Apparently there should be sticker on the body surrounding the driver's door frame showing the build year and month but although I see two stickers none seem to show this information (one is about tyre pressures and the other has the VIN number, and something to do with weights (towing?). 2017 08 is the magic start month for HW2.5 A 67 car might have been registered as early as August 2017 but may, of course, have been built several months earlier.

The software notes mention Sentry Mode but not TeslaCam so I guess it's not on the car but I don't give up easily! :D I will try a couple more USB sticks as I have a whole box of'em!

Would really like fw 2019.20 as will be doing 200 miles today...

10. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

I’d stop wasting your time then ;). The release notes would include dashcam if it was an AP2.5 car.

Spend the time saved driving instead :D

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  11. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

You would soon switch dashcam off anyway if you use Spotify streaming as it causes it to skip annoyingly on every track. I only use it now for parking in Sentry mode.

12. vitesse

vitesse Member

Interesting, I have a dual dashcam in our car but felt a bit vulnerable without them in the loaner.

Am actually a bit sick of the car despite it being newer and quicker than our 70D!