Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode and TeslaFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I collected the car on Saturday and one of the first things I did was install an ssd and enable sentry mode. We had to pick some shopping up on the way home and sentry mode activated as we approached the car. It also worked on the Sunday morning.
On Sunday afternoon I set up TeslaFi, after that I noticed that sentry mode wasn't activating. I tried all sorts of tests such as switching Bluetooth off on my phone and even signing out of the app. Tried numerous times over the next couple of days to purposefully activate sentry mode and only managed it once.

I had tried to set up the sentry mode notifications in TeslaFi so wondered if that may have affected something. I disabled logging in TeslaFi and all of a sudden Sentry mode is now working again! I have read loads of threads on Sentry Mode not activating so putting this out there as a possible fix/workaround.

Nothing needs specifically setting in TeslaFi for sentry. If you changed the sentry settings in TeslaFi, they probably upset something. Never needed to use the TeslaFi settings - iirc they pre-date some of the newer sentry settings, like some of the location awareness options. They do all that I require.

These are the defaults if you need to revert. I think the option to receive activation emails is only if TeslaFi turns sentry on/off for tagged locations.
upload_2020-9-30_20-28-13.png

Sentry has different stages of activation - off top of my head I cannot recall them all or point you to a reference. Not all trigger any reaction from the car but you should still see it on replay of the sentry footage.

Just out of curiosity, are you certain that all your ultrasonic sensors are working? When activated they show in the car visualisation display. May be worth double checking, along with autopilot calibration having completed.

It says its on in the app. The problem is it is not being triggered, like if I was in an excluded location. I don't have excluded locations.

When I'm parked at an excluded location (work, home, favourites), sentry is shown as off, in the app. I don't think there's an 'on but not triggering' state.

My experience is that you've got to pretty much be able to touch the car, to have made sentry react. I'm working away and park in a carpark overnight. Sentry enables when I walk to the ticket machine and only flashes at me as I brush past the headlamp, to open the door and put the ticket on the dash.

Reviewing the footage now and again, it's only when people walk right past the bumper that they get flashed and I get a recording.

How close are you to the car when you test?