Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Sentry Mode Annoying to use

I have a new 2021 M3P. So I tried sentry mode out for the first time a few days ago, and when I returned to me car from work, I had 5 recordings. So I watched them, and wasted a bunch of time watching people get into their car while parked next to mine, or to watch some dude on a bike ride past the front of my car. The next day, I had another 4 recordings, watched one of them (again someone getting into their car while parked next to mine) and then I didn't even watch the rest of them.

Is sentry mode really that annoying? I've use it for 2 days, and already ignored several messages and downright just turned it off. What am I missing here?

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I have a new 2021 M3P. So I tried sentry mode out for the first time a few days ago, and when I returned to me car from work, I had 5 recordings. So I watched them, and wasted a bunch of time watching people get into their car while parked next to mine, or to watch some dude on a bike ride past the front of my car. The next day, I had another 4 recordings, watched one of them (again someone getting into their car while parked next to mine) and then I didn't even watch the rest of them.

Is sentry mode really that annoying? I've use it for 2 days, and already ignored several messages and downright just turned it off. What am I missing here?

Nothing.

Sentry mode was a bolt on software feature because teslas were getting broken into at a high rate in san francisco. Its a video type alarm, but keeps the car awake (so uses a lot more energy) and since it senses motion, you will have a lot of recordings if people pass your car or do innocent things around it.

Not sure why that would be surprising though (motion sensing cameras capturing motion, whether its nefarious or not).

Reactions: Gasaraki and Phlier

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle

What you're missing is not returning to your car with a window smashed or a big dent in the body panels. THEN you will realize the value of Sentry Mode. In the meantime, it's better to have videos you DONT need, than to not have the one video you DO need.

Relevant cross post
1618350767831.png

No doubt about it, Sentry Mode is annoying and overly sensitive. I live in a rural area so I have little use for it, but out of curiosity, I tried it once. I parallel parked in the center of my town for about 20 minutes to do some shopping. When I got back to the car, there were 5 alerts. Each one was triggered by someone walking by on the sidewalk, perhaps 3 to 4 feet from the front of my car. I haven't used it since. Will I ever use it again? Maybe

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
No doubt about it, Sentry Mode is annoying and overly sensitive. I live in a rural area so I have little use for it, but out of curiosity, I tried it once. I parallel parked in the center of my town for about 20 minutes to do some shopping. When I got back to the car, there were 5 alerts. Each one was triggered by someone walking by on the sidewalk, perhaps 3 to 4 feet from the front of my car. I haven't used it since. Will I ever use it again? Maybe
You will wish you had used it right after your car is vandalized. Which is more annoying? Have it trigger a few times when people harmlessly walk by, or not have it trigger when someone dents your car or smashes a window?

You will wish you had used it right after your car is vandalized. Which is more annoying? Have it trigger a few times when people harmlessly walk by, or not have it trigger when someone dents your car or smashes a window?
What you don't realize is that I live in a small town of less than 2,000 people. Everybody knows everybody. No need for sentry mode here. Now if I were to drive to Boston, NYC, or even Seattle and park on the streets I would probably use it. I think that's called "situational awareness".

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
How many Sentry Mode users have actually tracked down someone who keyed their car? I also think it’s a waste of power.

Er, so dont use it? Meantime, watch the various YouTube videos where its caught people trying to break in, or keying Teslas etc, including those occasions where police have been able to use the footage to track down those responsible.

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
This is one of those situations (similar to the auto windshield wipers) that, no matter how Tesla tunes it, not every person is going to be happy with it.

Now that they have placed a red dot at the time stamp in the built in video viewer of when the trigger event occurred, I find it's a lot less of a hassle than it used to be.

But as other posters have said, if there's no damage to the vehicle, why bother to watch the videos?

You don't need a seat belt for 99.9999% of the time, but when you need it, you need it *bad*. So most of us grit our teeth and wear one. Same thing pretty much applies to Sentry Mode... don't need it often, but when you need it, you really DO need it. Kinda makes it worth the hassle, really.

Just get used to the fact that there are going to be a lot of videos that you can delete/ignore, and you'll be set.

Or you can just turn it off... ;)

Would be nice for them to add impact sensing - assume they can detect that, so they can categorise events as motion/impact etc. Letting you see if someone bumps your car.

This. Not sure why everyone is getting on the OP when Tesla has proven they can do more with what they have. It is annoying, and there is definitely something Tesla can do about it to make it more useful. Impact sensing is one, but they can also use better video processing to determine whether someone or something actually made contact with your car (similar to how they sense lines and immiment impact for FSD). It is definitely not outside the realm of possibility for Tesla to come up with better algorithms and even provide sensitivity settings for sentry mode to only alert you for the level of severity you want.

Interesting that the community gives grief to Tesla about so many other things, but something like this that can easily be improved in software is being treated as "what you see is what you get".

Reactions: Shelburne

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
This. Not sure why everyone is getting on the OP when Tesla has proven they can do more with what they have. It is annoying, and there is definitely something Tesla can do about it to make it more useful. Impact sensing is one, but they can also use better video processing to determine whether someone or something actually made contact with your car (similar to how they sense lines and immiment impact for FSD). It is definitely not outside the realm of possibility for Tesla to come up with better algorithms and even provide sensitivity settings for sentry mode to only alert you for the level of severity you want.

Interesting that the community gives grief to Tesla about so many other things, but something like this that can easily be improved in software is being treated as "what you see is what you get".

How would you "easily" improve it? Detecting lane lines or a car on an intercept course is quite different to (say) trying to figure out if someone just keyed your car vs brushed past it, which requires far more subtle distinctions.

How would you "easily" improve it? Detecting lane lines or a car on an intercept course is quite different to (say) trying to figure out if someone just keyed your car vs brushed past it, which requires far more subtle distinctions.

I would expect to be alerted for both someone brushing up against my car and keying the car because both made contact. The issue with sentry mode is that it alerts you when anyone is within 2 feet of the car...why does anyone need to know that? Allowing the user to have the option to adjust the alert "distance" threshold should not be difficult.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC