Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode battery usage 7% per day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reference, 300W will power 5 laptops or 40 iPads. Does the onboard computer really consume that much?

I believe the problem with Sentry mode is that it uses too much power for the 12V battery to handle, and therefore the HV battery is used. However, that means that thermal management must be engaged also, which is itself a power drain.

It has nothing to do with the 12V battery or thermal management. Sentry Mode runs directly off the main 400V battery; that's why the car never "sleeps", as the main HV relay has to be closed. The FSD computer (which has 2 chips on the board) is thirsty. For comparison, 200-300W is nothing for a modern computer graphics card. A Nvidia GTX 3080 Ti consumes 350W average on load, and probably a bit more at peak.

It has nothing to do with the 12V battery or thermal management. Sentry Mode runs directly off the main 400V battery; that's why the car never "sleeps", as the main HV relay has to be closed. The FSD computer (which has 2 chips on the board) is thirsty. For comparison, 200-300W is nothing for a modern computer graphics card. A Nvidia GTX 3080 Ti consumes 350W average on load, and probably a bit more at peak.

The Tesla onboard computer is powerful, but I've no idea the actual wattage. Do you have the specs? I've never seen this published.

You seem to be suggesting that the HV battery can be discharged without any thermal management. That seems like a risky proposition, although again I must admit I don't have data to show if/when any thermal management is engaged.

All of the electronics run off low voltage busses. I don’t know where you are getting your information.

The part where he's right is that the car doesn't sleep when using Sentry mode, thus the HV contactor stays on. Pretty sure you are correct @GlmnAlyAirCar that all the electronics run off the 12V though, but the HV battery charges the 12V. Assuming it is the main (FSD) computer that processes Sentry makes sense though. In any case, when the car is awake it consumes in the ballpark of 250w.

The part where he's right is that the car doesn't sleep when using Sentry mode, thus the HV contactor stays on. Pretty sure you are correct @GlmnAlyAirCar that all the electronics run off the 12V though, but the HV battery charges the 12V. Assuming it is the main (FSD) computer that processes Sentry makes sense though. In any case, when the car is awake it consumes in the ballpark of 250w.
Just because the car isn't sleeping it doesn't mean the contactors are closed. Contactors generally only close when then 12v battery requires charging.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Sophisticated thieves/vandals have become wary of Teslas since sentry mode. Unsophisticated thieves/vandals are not deterred by an unknown camera system.

The chance that having Sentry mode on will save you money is about zero. Saving money by using the system requires that the thief/vandal be identified, caught and forced to reimburse the car owner for damages.

Sentry mode saved me quite a few bucks last month. My neighbour ran into my car while backing up in the street, his tow hitch hit my front bumper. Lets put it this way: they aren't the most honest folks and choose their own wallet over others. Told me it wasn't them who hit the car (unaware that they were being recorded). Luckily when I showed them the video they asked me to come in to fill in the paperwork for the insurance (still claiming they didn't notice, yeah right, the entire car moved from impact, even theirs). Damage wasn't mild, about $2000,- for a new bumper/paint, installation and recalibrating autopilot sensors for safety.

In short: Sentry isn't only useful for thieves/vandals, also for accidents/insurance proof.

Sentry mode saved me quite a few bucks last month. My neighbour ran into my car while backing up in the street, his tow hitch hit my front bumper. Lets put it this way: they aren't the most honest folks and choose their own wallet over others. Told me it wasn't them who hit the car (unaware that they were being recorded). Luckily when I showed them the video they asked me to come in to fill in the paperwork for the insurance (still claiming they didn't notice, yeah right, the entire car moved from impact, even theirs). Damage wasn't mild, about $2000,- for a new bumper/paint, installation and recalibrating autopilot sensors for safety.

In short: Sentry isn't only useful for thieves/vandals, also for accidents/insurance proof.

When I'm moving to our new home with a driveway (finally!) I'll invest in some Nest camera's though so I can turn Sentry off at home, that will save quite a lot of money on electricity / battery drain from the car year round.

Yeah, that's the conundrum. An aftermarket dashcam solution could potentially work, but it comes with its own hassles:

1) Need at least 4 cams: 2 front/rear, 1 for each side. Thieves generally break-in via side windows. I have a 2021, so they can't break the front 2 windows (laminated), so need coverage of the rear window area as well. But the side cameras also need to look outwards to catch anyone keying the car. The side cams also need to be mounted correctly so it doesnt interfere with side windows operation, perhaps clip into the headliner?
2) Need to figure out a way to hardwire the 4 cams properly. Teslas don't have a traditional fusebox.
3) The cams need smart software. Each cam (or the system) would need bluetooth and an app that automatically connects with my phone when I get in, and notifies me of any recent suspicious activity. I don't want to have to poll each camera individually and look through the footage every time I get in. I especially don't want to constantly remove the SD cards and manually inspect the footage on a PC. (I don't do a 360 walk of the vehicle each time I get in, so if there's keying or dings on the passenger side, I won't notice it until the next carwash. Maybe this is something I need to start doing regardless of Sentry Mode.)

Phew! Now that $14/week Sentry Mode investment is sounding mighty good right now. :)
You forgot the fact that the thieves will just steal your camera. You just bought them a nice little camera to steal.

Wham Bam Tesla cam has several instances of vandals and door dingers being caught by sentry cam with restitution taking place. Tesla should have an on screen warning similar to the "Charging your battery beyond the daily limit..." They could easily identify people who were leaving sentry cam on at their home and have the message, "Are you sure you want to have sentry cam on while at home, you will lose around 20 miles a day of range. Saving energy is our goal"

Reactions: SDRick
Wham Bam Tesla cam has several instances of vandals and door dingers being caught by sentry cam with restitution taking place. Tesla should have an on screen warning similar to the "Charging your battery beyond the daily limit..." They could easily identify people who were leaving sentry cam on at their home and have the message, "Are you sure you want to have sentry cam on while at home, you will lose around 20 miles a day of range. Saving energy is our goal"

Location-based Settings​

You can customize Sentry Mode to disable at specific locations where you park your vehicle:

Sentry mode is almost all of that. There is nothing you can do, other than not run sentry mode or live with it. 10-15 miles a day with sentry mode on is quite good, at least for a model 3, no idea how that lines up for a model S.

TL ; DR, if you run sentry mode, your drain is Not considered "vampire drain" as that term is used to describe drain when you dont know where its coming from (a vampire comes in the night and sucks out energy). Yours is known, and understood drain of sentry mode, thus not vampire drain.
I suspect it also depends on how frequently sentry is triggered. We’ve just stayed with my folks over Xmas. Couldn’t figure out what was draining the car so much overnight compared to when at home. Then realised it was my folks golden retrievers walking past repeatedly during the night. Lots of pointless videos recorded! No doubt a big drain on the battery.

No, the current understanding is that each sentry recording does not affect consumption, at least not significantly. It is the sentry mode itself that burns all that energy because it must keep the computers running, cameras, everything. That prevents the car from sleeping, which means the coolant pump also runs continuously. That is believed to consume 200-250w. Thus 4-5h = 1kWh.

I suspect it also depends on how frequently sentry is triggered. We’ve just stayed with my folks over Xmas. Couldn’t figure out what was draining the car so much overnight compared to when at home. Then realised it was my folks golden retrievers walking past repeatedly during the night. Lots of pointless videos recorded! No doubt a big drain on the battery.
I think there is some truth in this. When I looked in to it I found my car used about 4% per day with sentry mode active when there were little or no events occurring.. Whereas about the aforementioned 7% per day when constantly sensing events in a busy location with people constantly walking past the car.

Wireless security cams, like those from Blink and Nest, can operate for months on a couple of AA batteries. I'm hoping HW4 will include the ability to run Sentry Mode with a fraction of the power, which will make it far more useful.
Unlikely due to a very different technology. Passive Infrared on the Blink and Nest which does not require cameras to be on continuously to sense motion.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Unlikely due to a very different technology. Passive Infrared on the Blink and Nest which does not require cameras to be on continuously to sense motion.
I'm not suggesting a Tesla can run on an AA battery lol, but certainly we can do better than 300W. The current hardware was not designed for Sentry, so improvements are possible.