Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode behaviour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Sentry mode"

Sentry mode for me seems to just mean the cameras are on. I've seen videos of the car making noises or flashing lights when people approach but my car just sits in silence. Maybe there are some options I need to enable but just wanted to see how sentry performs for others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have not disabled home/work/favourite location check-box in settings (car not app). Flashing headlights should be obvious indication but the red 'Portal turret' pulsing screen is also an indication that Sentry is on.

Anyone else noticed sentry mode only triggered by front cam there lots issues with sentry on here just wondered if every one got same issue . If you approach from side no detection yet walk up to bonnet n it works ?

Anyone else noticed sentry mode only triggered by front cam there lots issues with sentry on here just wondered if every one got same issue . If you approach from side no detection yet walk up to bonnet n it works ?
I haven't been able to get mine to trigger at all yet. Even if I lean on the bonnet or try and open the frunk, rock the car from side to side, or try and open the doors with no key present.

Nothing. Showing as working in both the app and in-car. So I assume it's just for bigger impacts?

Anyone got a foolproof way of triggering it so I can test it?

I haven't been able to get mine to trigger at all yet. Even if I lean on the bonnet or try and open the frunk, rock the car from side to side, or try and open the doors with no key present.

Nothing. Showing as working in both the app and in-car. So I assume it's just for bigger impacts?

Anyone got a foolproof way of triggering it so I can test it?

No it's not for bigger impacts. It should be triggered even if someone just walks past close to the car with no contact whatsoever. Sounds like it's just not working for whatever reason. Is your USB storage set up correctly?

Reactions: Nick77
But then again I just went back out to the car and it had two sentry alerts for a woman crossing the road across the front of my car. Weird that me leaning on the frunk/bonnet registered nothing at all. Maybe it's becasue it recognised my phone/key in my pocket even though it was still all locked.

I didn't get any app notification on my phone of them happening though either. They just appeared on screen in the car when I got in.

No it's not for bigger impacts. It should be triggered even if someone just walks past close to the car with no contact whatsoever. Sounds like it's just not working for whatever reason. Is your USB storage set up correctly?
Yeah see above. All working correctly by the looks of it. Probably just recognised it was me nearby from the phone and not someone else.

But then again I just went back out to the car and it had two sentry alerts for a woman crossing the road across the front of my car. Weird that me leaning on the frunk/bonnet registered nothing at all. Maybe it's becasue it recognised my phone/key in my pocket even though it was still all locked.

I didn't get any app notification on my phone of them happening though either. They just appeared on screen in the car when I got in.

Sentry is very sensitive so gives lots of triggers if working properly. This means that it is not appropriate to send you a notification on your phone.

Reactions: Nick77