Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode bug - 556 alerts!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't usually use sentry mode unless I'm in a public car park or something but as I had to park away from home yesterday next to a non-residential property, and I knew I was charging today regardless, I stuck it on overnight.

Came back to the car this morning and it said I have 556 alerts! A quick scroll through and a look at some and it looks like it's recorded almost every minute with nothing happening and no red dot to indicate where the action is.

Anyone had this? Temporary bug?

I don't usually use sentry mode unless I'm in a public car park or something but as I had to park away from home yesterday next to a non-residential property, and I knew I was charging today regardless, I stuck it on overnight.

Came back to the car this morning and it said I have 556 alerts! A quick scroll through and a look at some and it looks like it's recorded almost every minute with nothing happening and no red dot to indicate where the action is.

Anyone had this? Temporary bug?

It happened to me once when the car had my garage clock in sight. Every time the minute hand moved...

Mine is disabled at home as it sees air from my boiler vent a few metres ahead of the car on the driveway as movement against a streetlight 10m away (took a while to work out what was triggering it).

With it being so cold at the moment you can see the “smoke” (for lack of a better word) but it also did it in September where it wasn’t visible to eye - only worked out what it was when looking at camera I have watching the driveway on night mode where the “smoke” was visible!

I've found that point light sources in the distance combined with rain drops falling on the frontwards camera is enough to trigger sentry capture sometimes when light flaring transition occurs. Have also had it trigger and persist for hours overnight due to other car's flashing red alarm LEDs. Gradually I expect Tesla will improve the neural net to recognise these as false positives. Must have been something interestingly new to get over 500 events though.

I think it depends on the vehicle my personal vehicle logs hundreds of sentry events per night in my garage. it's a 2018 Model X, MCU1

I had two different loaner vehicles - both had MCU2 - and they had NO false alerts in my garage. I like to leave sentry ON at home 1. so that my pi with teslacam can upload after a trip, 2. if something were to happen like a break in thru the garage, my car would capture it.

I disabled the Sentry mode as the OP described, it is just too sensitive for most situations. Every day I go down to a farm where our horse lives. The parking yard is bounded by bushes/trees and in any sort of wind the moving branches trigger the alarm.
I only activate it in public car parks.

Many things can cause this. It has been like this for years. Some nights you get none and others you could get 100's (think I got 900 one night)
  • Heavy rain
  • Light rain
  • Wrong type of rain
  • Windy nights (trees blowing around)
  • Cat under car
  • Bugs, Little spiders in the car (temp I hope!) This can also cause the car alarm to go off.
  • Busy traffic (both foot and road)
  • Flashing street lights
Wouldn't worry to much it just a pain in the back side. Or you car is scared of the dark!

Reactions: Jason71
but what I find strange is the other two cars, same garage, no false alerts.

Maybe it's my cameras - my videos seem to flicker a bit - I wonder if that's what causes it to think there's movement.