Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode bust!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to hear more details on how he was tracked down. License plate? Facial rec?
Once you have a conviction, please post his name for public consumption. Or, post his name now and say "this is the guy that allegedly keyed my car".
I would also like to hear what the outcome of this goes for you.

I posted it to a local Facebook group that has about 80k members. People shared it from there and eventually 5-6 people reached out with his name, including his coworkers. Once I had his name I filed a police report and said I want to press charges. One of the people that outed him said they would ID him for police. Still no idea why he keyed the car. Never saw or heard of the guy beforehand.

My guess is that he was upset about how close your car was next to his. He seemed irritated that he could not open his door as widely as he would like. Not that you parked too close, rather, he just did not like it.

As far as his kid goes, I do not believe he saw it. At least, i hope not. It looks like he was trying to be discreet.

Agreed that it is a parenting fail for sure, and glad you caught him with Sentry Mode. Before our Model S I used dashcams both front and rear on my Lexus. Just too many bad actors nowadays and people that don’t want to take any accountability for their actions. You have to catch people on camera so they can’t deny the truth. My dashcam helped an acquaintance find the person that backed into his car and then fled. Glad others stepped up to identify the guy. Are you filing an insurance claim? Insurance should be able to go after him for repairs and deductible with the available evidence. Hope this teaches the guy an expensive lesson.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
My guess is that he was upset about how close your car was next to his. He seemed irritated that he could not open his door as widely as he would like. Not that you parked too close, rather, he just did not like it.

As far as his kid goes, I do not believe he saw it. At least, i hope not. It looks like he was trying to be discreet.

Reminds of a time there was this guy in his big ole truck, backed into a spot. He was talking on the phone when I pulled into the spot next to him. He rolls down his window and starts cussing me out. It is not my fault you chose to drive a big truck and sit in it talking on the phone instead of exiting your vehicle sooner. Eventually someone else would have taken the spot and I certainly didn’t have trouble getting out of my car. I used to drive a full-size Tundra Double Cab and you learn to deal with your vehicle of choice. What, people are not allowed to park next to truck drivers?? You just shake your head at some people and their juvenile behavior (not that it’s okay to key a car at any age).