Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode bust!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sure it wasn't a handicapped spot?
View attachment 640100

positive. It was in one of the numbered spots with the arrows.
6C9696D9-D7E9-4598-9C9B-DA21516E30CE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Aha, thanks! The sentry fish-eye side cameras make the parking lot look smaller.

Unless they repainted the parking lot, it looks like those "Drive Up" Chevrons are off to the side like you were in the regular spot next to the drive-up...
But then he would have had to have been parked in a spot that had shopping cart storage. Maybe they moved things around since the map photo, or the camera is further distorting exactly where you parked.

driveup.png

It would have made more sense to me if that "Drive Up" text was centered in your front camera photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonez
Aha, thanks! The sentry fish-eye side cameras make the parking lot look smaller.

Unless they repainted the parking lot, it looks like those "Drive Up" Chevrons are off to the side like you were in the regular spot next to the drive-up...
But then he would have had to have been parked in a spot that had shopping cart storage. Maybe they moved things around since the map photo, or the camera is further distorting exactly where you parked.

View attachment 640108

It would have made more sense to me if that "Drive Up" text was centered in your rear camera photo.

That could very well be. She insisted she was in a regular spot, but I assumed she was still in a drive up spot based on the front camera. Either way though, no reason to key a stranger's car.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
in cases like this, isnt it typically you go through your insurance company, let them handle, and they have the hassle of suing the guy to get their money back? Or are you getting restitution just for your deductible?

Seems like this would fall more under filing a separate civil suit for emotional distress, time off of work to deal with insurance/body shops, therapy for your wife (dont laugh, this is america), etc

That could very well be. She insisted she was in a regular spot, but I assumed she was still in a drive up spot based on the front camera. Either way though, no reason to key a stranger's car.

If anything it looks like she may have parked a bit into the drive up lane to give him more room to get back in his truck since he was parked over the line on his lane.
Anyways, it looks like both vehicles were probably not well centered in their lane, but that is no excuse for anyone to "key" anyone else.

By the way, are those "Drive Up" lanes something new for COVID?

Those same spots were handicapped in some previous years based on the old "street-view" sites I was looking through.

in cases like this, isnt it typically you go through your insurance company, let them handle, and they have the hassle of suing the guy to get their money back? Or are you getting restitution just for your deductible?

Seems like this would fall more under filing a separate civil suit for emotional distress, time off of work to deal with insurance/body shops, therapy for your wife (dont laugh, this is america), etc

Going for restitution via the court because I want to include devaluation of the car since it needs a paint job and that will show on the car fax.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Target "drive-up" lanes:
Target Drive Up
"Drive up & wait safely in your car
Park in the designated spot & let us know you’re here so we can load up your car. No personal contact required"

So maybe he was like "That car is unattended in the drive-up lane... So I will teach them a lesson" or some asinine rationalization like that.
Maybe he is part of the vigilante parking police going around keying any cars they think might be poorly parked.

I can't tell for sure (from the sentry cam video) if your car was in a Drive-up spot or not.
I think we are wondering if this line is one of the chevrons they put on the drive-up lanes:
park4.jpg

I suspect the overhead view found on Google maps might already be out of date.
How many rows of drive up lanes are there? I saw 2 before, but maybe they turned the third row into yet another drive-up lane more recently, and removed the shopping cart storage from lane 4.
Your front camera looks like it might show a drive-up lane Chevron as well.
park5.jpg

It seems like they only put the words "Drive Up" on one of the drive-up lanes, leaving it to people to interpret and decide for themselves if the neighboring lanes are also drive-ups or not.

Also, what appear to be chevrons in your lane are blurry and offset. Seems like a sloppy marking job.

Last edited:
Whether she was parked perfectly in a spot, or taking up 3 spots, one of which was handicapped, while hanging half-way off a curb is all irrelevant. I think we all agree, so let’s not add unnecessary guilt on a victim and stop analyzing the parking lot.

I think we're just trying to rationalize a totally non-rational thing to do. In no shape or form does it put any blame on the victim nor does it excuse the actions of the pickup driver.

It appears as if all those efforts to find rationality in it have failed so far.

It wasn't a handicap spot
It wasn't taking up multiple spots
It wasn't parked all that close to him

The worst it could be is parking in a pickup spot, but who retaliates for that?

It's a bit unnerving when someone does something like this purely out of hate, but that's what it appears to be.

It's also really disturbing that his kid was with him. I don't have a kid, but isn't a kid supposed to lead to a more fulfilled life with purpose other than key'ing cars?

It's just baffling. Its like "I got you a cool present, but lets mess with this Tesla before we leave".

Yeah, I am just trying to narrow down all those other options to leave us with the original thought that he might be a Tesla hater...

In my experience, people driving "the official vehicle" in a company town tend to have it out for competitor cars.
Maybe the guy even works for Dodge?

If someone in Auburn Hills area wants to share a current photo of what all the "Drive-up" lanes look like in that Target parking lot it would help satisfy my curiosity.
I got fairly far along doing amateur image sleuthing from bread-crumbs, but the online map & "street-view" sites are out of date, so I still don't have a totally clear picture of things. (Target has been moving things around in that lot. )
Also, I am ready to "move on" from this nearly pointless exercise.

If someone in Auburn Hills area wants to share a current photo of what all the "Drive-up" lanes look like in that Target parking lot it would help satisfy my curiosity.
I got fairly far along doing amateur image sleuthing from bread-crumbs, but the online map & "street-view" sites are out of date, so I still don't have a totally clear picture of things. (Target has been moving things around in that lot. )

I’ll check next time I’m over that way doing a Costco run in the next week or two.

Ended up there today. Found the exact spot too, and get this, THE TRUCK was parked in a no parking spot (red lines). Those lines mark off spots on either side of the pickup lanes for Target employees to walk along and load.

Attachments

• 9E6829A6-C59F-4A93-90C7-51AD7E5AAB2E.jpeg
    9E6829A6-C59F-4A93-90C7-51AD7E5AAB2E.jpeg
    877.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 5391E0A5-9CC3-46D1-A0A3-1D5FDB2896B2.jpeg
    5391E0A5-9CC3-46D1-A0A3-1D5FDB2896B2.jpeg
    642.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 636EFD93-DC1C-4030-8CC4-54EE322B482B.jpeg
    636EFD93-DC1C-4030-8CC4-54EE322B482B.jpeg
    868.2 KB · Views: 60
Ended up there today. Found the exact spot too, and get this, THE TRUCK was parked in a no parking spot (red lines). Those lines mark off spots on either side of the pickup lanes for Target employees to walk along and load.

Thanks! Yeah, they did repaint them and expanded them and got rid of the shopping cart storage lane. These are clearly marked now from the repaint.

Maybe the guy felt righteous and felt like keying any cars in the drive-up lane with nobody inside waiting, or maybe he hates Teslas, or maybe he just likes keying cars in general.

Thank goodness for sentry mode !

(By the way, there was someone busted in a city near me recently who had just gone on a keying spree and had keyed bunches of cars... )
...On Wednesday, 2/24/21, at about 5:20 pm, the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety (DPS) received a 9-1-1 call of a vandalism in progress near the corner of Hyde Park Drive and Russet Drive. A citizen reported witnessing a subject walking near vehicles and “keying” them as he walked past. DPS patrol units arrived on scene and safely detained the suspect.

The suspect, identified as 39-year-old Sunnyvale resident, [redacted], was arrested for felony vandalism. [redacted] was also on searchable probation out of Santa Clara County for an unrelated offense. Through the course of the investigation, [redacted] was linked to approximately 33 total felony vandalism incidents in the City of Sunnyvale, beginning in mid-January of this year...
Some people just like to damage other people's property for no real reason.

Last edited: