Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode bust!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting caught doesn't typically teach an adult a lesson either, except to be more careful next time and cover ones face.

Perhaps a kid if their parent also steps in will learn something... but not an adult.

Of course, my opinion only...

Yes. When people get caught and say “I’m sorry”....my response is “no, you’re sorry you got caught.”

So, I am making a wild guess here, but did it happen here? :
ah-target2.jpg

If so... It looks like the parking lot marking were really worn down there. Maybe it is hard to tell (particularly at night) if you are actually parked in a designated spot?
A bit of "wild west" parking going on?

(By the way, note Tesla superchargers on the right.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Y
Punitive damages often are not allowed in Small Claims. I am sure it is state driven though.

Yes, good point.

In Michigan, punitive damages are not permitted to punish defendants, but exemplary damages are awarded to the plaintiff for especially despicable behavior on the part of the defendant.

Punitive, exemplary, Hmm, seems like a distinction without a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and IdaX
I love that we’ve devolved to speculating on whether or not the victim’s car was “improperly parked” instead of just accepting that this honky chode is exactly the sort of honky chode we all know he is.

Exactly.

I once had a pickup truck park over the line into the space of my car, so close to the front bumper, I don't think I could have fit a credit card between the two. Clearly, he had backed his extra long truck into the space and was WAY over the line. You know what I did?

Backed the car up, checked for damage. Finding none, I left. That's it. If he hit me, and he probably did, it wasn't hard enough to leave any damage. I didn't key his truck. I took pictures of the situation and the plate in case I saw damage the next morning, and when I didn't, I moved on.

Years ago I was driving a small ICE car into a movie theater parking lot. The only space I could find was next to a Model S that was too wide for the compact spaces and was over the line into the one free parking space.
Since my car was extra narrow I managed to squeeze into the remaining space available and went and saw my movie. When I got back I found the back of my car had been keyed extensively and the Model S was gone.
No cameras on that classic old ICE car, so I can't say for sure who did it, but my assumption was they felt "entitled" to take 2 spaces and keyed me because they felt I made it too hard for them to get back into their car.

Anyways, this can happen in any direction. One grumpy pissed off parker keys another car... Could be a Tesla owner keys an ICE car for blocking them, parking in a charging spot, etc.

Maybe the situation in this thread is similar. When the Tesla parked, was the wide truck already there over the line? The truck owner could be like "none of the spaces in this parking lot are wide enough for my truck, so I get to use 2". And then gets annoyed when a Tesla squeezes into his "other space." Again, doesn't justify the keying... We are just trying to second guess why he decided to do that egregious action. He might not be a Tesla hater, but got caught up in some frustration of having a wide vehicle in a sea of compact parking spaces. Some kind of "parking lot rage" akin to "road rage".

Lesson from all this:
Don't risk parking a nice car next to a wide vehicle that is parked over the line. You may feel entitled to use the space, but they may be a jerk who will "get you back" for taking their "extra" space. Maybe even sort of a "I dare you to try it" scenario.

Lesson from all this:
Don't risk parking a nice car next to a wide vehicle that is parked over the line. You may feel entitled to use the space, but they may be a jerk who will "get you back" for taking their "extra" space. Maybe even sort of a "I dare you to try it" scenario.
Whenever I suspect another car may be too close I take a picture of their parking job and plates. I also just try to avoid that scenario entirely by parking somewhere else, if possible.
In this case, there was PLENTY of room. He could easily open his door without any difficulty. Whether the OP parked correctly or not is irrelevant to how the perp acted. If the OP parked much much closer, I could understand him being upset, but even then, never to the point of keying his car.

Another note: I think this guy has done this before. He had the look of experience. He calmly took his key and discreetly hit the car in several locations and moved on.

Reactions: mrau
Whenever I suspect another car may be too close I take a picture of their parking job and plates. I also just try to avoid that scenario entirely by parking somewhere else, if possible.
In this case, there was PLENTY of room. He could easily open his door without any difficulty. Whether the OP parked correctly or not is irrelevant to how the perp acted. If the OP parked much much closer, I could understand him being upset, but even then, never to the point of keying his car.

In my own case I mentioned before, there wasn't much room left for the Model S owner to open his door, so I can understand that they could get upset, but I didn't predict they would key my car in response.
I did indeed take a picture of their well over the line parking job (including their plate) before I parked, but without any real proof that they keyed me what good does that do me?
I could post those photos to online shame them for their parking job but still no proof that they keyed my car.
At the end of the day, I might get called out for "boxing them in" even though I was no where near the parking lines.
In hindsight I should have looked for another place to park. It was the last open space in the lot, so I might have just been better off missing my movie and going back home in defeat instead of getting my paint ruined.

I love that we’ve devolved to speculating on whether or not the victim’s car was “improperly parked” instead of just accepting that this honky chode is exactly the sort of honky chode we all know he is.

For me it's simply a curiosity as the truck driver seems angry at the Tesla so I'm wondering where that anger came from.

Now obviously one should never allow anger to emotionally compromise a persons principals. So I'm not excusing the pickup driver regardless of why he key'd the Tesla, but I am curious about what set him off. It doesn't appear to be that much of a squeeze, and I doubt I would have even thought much of it.

For me it's simply a curiosity as the truck driver seems angry at the Tesla so I'm wondering where that anger came from.

Now obviously one should never allow anger to emotionally compromise a persons principals. So I'm not excusing the pickup driver regardless of why he key'd the Tesla, but I am curious about what set him off. It doesn't appear to be that much of a squeeze, and I doubt I would have even thought much of it.
It would be nice to hear from the OP again.

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
So, I am making a wild guess here, but did it happen here? :
View attachment 639725

If so... It looks like the parking lot marking were really worn down there. Maybe it is hard to tell (particularly at night) if you are actually parked in a designated spot?
A bit of "wild west" parking going on?

(By the way, note Tesla superchargers on the right.)
It was in spots closer to the bottom of your picture. But yes, correct parking lot!

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
It would be nice to hear from the OP again.

been busy week!
So the guy turned himself in and was arraigned. I’m getting an estimate on repairs and also need an estimate on devaluation. Aside from that, still no idea why the guy did it. Waiting on a court date to be set so that I can ask the judge for restitution. This *sugar* blew up locally though, everyone at his work saw the post on fb and the area in general saw it. The video I posted in the fb post has something like 47k views!

You may be right. It looks like the truck was right on his parking line, but it also looks like OP may have been parked in a no parking zone. The plot thickens....

my wife had the car that night. She had a target pick up later in the evening and that was one of the pickup spots. They left something off her order accidentally so she ran in and didn’t move the car because every pickup spot was empty. She probably should have moved it but still...

Looks like he needs 3 panels repainted, so certainly over $200, and maybe even over $1,000. Three times the value is what I said. Of course, the Judge has discretion. Also, this is criminal. The owner has the option of filing a civil complaint, right?

oh it’s gonna be a pretty penny. Especially since Cauley Ferrari is the only “Tesla certified” body shop on the area lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EnergyMax