TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Aieukl378, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

• Like x 53
    • Love x 35
    • Helpful x 4
  2. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Super happy to see another fellow Tesla owner not having to pay for someone else’s bad driving thanks to our free TeslaCam/Sentry mode updates. Hopefully more people are using it and continue to do so. Good reminder to those who have it to make sure your videos are recording properly. Also glad to see the police going after the hit and run drivers.

Thanks for sharing the good news and sorry your baby needs to go in for repair. Glad this wasn’t thevresult of a bad accident. Was the damage just denting or paint as well?

• Like x 6
  3. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

SHE DIDNT EVEN TRY TO AVOID IT!!!!

She swung her door open and even had the dog chain in that left hand!!! OMG!!! Have I become so cynical or what because my gut tells me she swung it hard on purpose!!!! I NEVER just swung my door open like that when parked right next to someone!!!! AND......... OP says he parked in remote area of lot so WHY did she pull up RIGHT next to him!!!???? What is WRONG with people!!!!

WTF BUTTON NEED AGAIN!!!!!

• Like x 38
    • Love x 1
  4. DIYDanCars

DIYDanCars Member

Wow! She didn't even get a f**K! Was the parking lot jammed or was she hunting for a nice car to screw up?

• Like x 5
  5. Hank42

Hank42 Member

Was there really that much damage? I mean, if the car can't take a hit like that without scarring, that's pretty thin skin on the door panel. I've had things hit my car harder than that door with no damage. Still doesn't excuse the carelessness of the SUV driver. Do you have a pic of the damage?

• Disagree x 41
    • Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  6. Rogue one

Rogue one Member

Wow the complete disregard for other people’s property continues to amaze me. Happy you got it on film and I hope her insurance goes soars as a result. Someone that careless should be borderline uninsurable...

• Like x 5
  7. a1machinista1

a1machinista1 Member

What the **** is wrong with people?

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  8. a1machinista1

a1machinista1 Member

Great another website censoring speech!!!

• Disagree x 8
    • Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
  9. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

Glad she is paying for it! People have no respect for others property.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  10. UltralightBeam

How did police “Agree” to track her down? Was it just for her info for the police report which then gets submitted to insurance?

11. antoinearnau

antoinearnau Member

The best thing is to spread the word about the sentry mode. This way people will pay more attention since they know they can't get away with it and also, if they hit your car, they are more likely to leave a note.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. ALSETJC

ALSETJC Member

The door bounced off your car, that isn't a light hit. Also doors dings are concentrated on a corner of the door which makes the impact quite strong.

• Like x 5
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Can't get her on leaving the scene since she seemed completely oblivious to the ding.

• Disagree x 1
  14. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

I call BS!!!! She ACTED completely oblivious!!! She had to protect herself from the door that bounced RIGHT BACK TOWARDS HER!

Ignorance doesn't get you off the hook!!!

• Like x 8
  15. Malbers

Malbers Member

Wouldn't the amount of damage depend on how heavy the SUV door was and how much force and velocity the SUV driver used to open the door?

I think many more manufactures are using very thin body panels to cut weight and increase MPG.

• Like x 2
  16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Where was the clip saved? Recent or Saved folder?
    With an impact I hop the car saves the video and doesn’t delete it.

• Like x 1
  17. Leeclanual

Leeclanual Member

How’s u get the license plate number?

• Like x 2
  18. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Given the view of her front end of her car from the side repeater, the car was backed into the space so had a good chance of seeing the plate.

• Like x 3
  19. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

OP said front camera.

20. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

You think this person just views his recordings every day for fun? I assume the reason why it was checked was due to damage being noticed

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1