Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

Super happy to see another fellow Tesla owner not having to pay for someone else’s bad driving thanks to our free TeslaCam/Sentry mode updates. Hopefully more people are using it and continue to do so. Good reminder to those who have it to make sure your videos are recording properly. Also glad to see the police going after the hit and run drivers.

Thanks for sharing the good news and sorry your baby needs to go in for repair. Glad this wasn’t thevresult of a bad accident. Was the damage just denting or paint as well?

SHE DIDNT EVEN TRY TO AVOID IT!!!!

She swung her door open and even had the dog chain in that left hand!!! OMG!!! Have I become so cynical or what because my gut tells me she swung it hard on purpose!!!! I NEVER just swung my door open like that when parked right next to someone!!!! AND......... OP says he parked in remote area of lot so WHY did she pull up RIGHT next to him!!!???? What is WRONG with people!!!!

WTF BUTTON NEED AGAIN!!!!!

This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

Can't get her on leaving the scene since she seemed completely oblivious to the ding.

• Disagree
Reactions: KenC
Was there really that much damage? I mean, if the car can't take a hit like that without scarring, that's pretty thin skin on the door panel. I've had things hit my car harder than that door with no damage. Still doesn't excuse the carelessness of the SUV driver. Do you have a pic of the damage?

Wouldn't the amount of damage depend on how heavy the SUV door was and how much force and velocity the SUV driver used to open the door?

I think many more manufactures are using very thin body panels to cut weight and increase MPG.

Reactions: Guy V and technoz
Was there really that much damage? I mean, if the car can't take a hit like that without scarring, that's pretty thin skin on the door panel. I've had things hit my car harder than that door with no damage. Still doesn't excuse the carelessness of the SUV driver. Do you have a pic of the damage?

You think this person just views his recordings every day for fun? I assume the reason why it was checked was due to damage being noticed