Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

Geez, that level of mindless idiocy makes me so mad just watching the video!!! I can tell I’m going to love using sentry when I get my RHD Model 3. So pleased it worked out well for you.

Was there really that much damage? I mean, if the car can't take a hit like that without scarring, that's pretty thin skin on the door panel. I've had things hit my car harder than that door with no damage. Still doesn't excuse the carelessness of the SUV driver. Do you have a pic of the damage?

Some are a part of the solution.

Some are part of the problem.

..Sigh

Honor, integrity, principles, truth and justice.

Any of it mean anything to you???!

I didn't want to show the license plate of the other car(privacy thing) but it was a bit pixelated and showed four of six numbers(which was enough)

Oh. That's what I was worried about. In this country a partial plate is useless. If you don't get all of it you are SOL.

Disappointing.

Almost irony. Had trade in to buy a Model 3 (and get me some Sentry mode) then this happened the day before my Model 3 test drive while at Home Depot. Looks like it was probably some type of truck since cars are lower and even SUV's have a neoprene bumper plus it looks sharp, like a commercial truck. Would LOVE to know and see (though it would be painful) what happened. Or better yet would love for it to have NOT happened.

IMG_0100.jpg

Reactions: Aieukl378
Was there really that much damage? I mean, if the car can't take a hit like that without scarring, that's pretty thin skin on the door panel. I've had things hit my car harder than that door with no damage. Still doesn't excuse the carelessness of the SUV driver. Do you have a pic of the damage?
The model 3 doors are made of aluminum, the truck door is probably steel, and since since steel is harder than aluminum they can easily damage the model 3 doors.

It does seem intentional if you were parked away from any other cars. It also looks a bit breezy. Perhaps the wind caught her door.

I heard sentry mode is available for AP2.0 cars now. Is this true?

Intentional or not, makes no difference when it comes to the restitution.

You park next to a car you take the consequences of potentially damaging the car next to you.