Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me know if you find a program that will make viewing all these sub folders and videos much easier. We need a TeslaCam friendly viewer for our computers. Anyone? I'd provide a donation!
Ultimately, this needs to be better organized by the car's recording system.

Hey ! how do you get alert videos ? would it be send to your TESLA app automatically ?
There are no alerts about recordings, I'm afraid. You have to just sort back through the hundreds of files and hope you can find what you want.

I use a 256GB micro SD card. I have very few recording problems or corrupt files and it will hold several weeks worth of data, even when parked at a busy spot like the airport.
Have you ever filled it? If so, what happens? I've yet to year for sure, though I've heard the implication that it cannot record any more once the card is full.

Ultimately, this needs to be better organized by the car's recording system.

There are no alerts about recordings, I'm afraid. You have to just sort back through the hundreds of files and hope you can find what you want.

Have you ever filled it? If so, what happens? I've yet to year for sure, though I've heard the implication that it cannot record any more once the card is full.

Yes, I have filled it and recording shuts off.

This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

Beautiful! Also, please follow-up with how your insurance handles your renewal- let us know if they kept your rates in line, of if they significantly upped your rates (even though you were not at fault (20 years ago, I had an incident where I was involved in a pedestrian injury incident and was determined to be 100% NOT at-fault by our local police department report, was sued anyway, told by my insurance company I wasn’t at-fault, and settled with plaintiff out-of-court anyway. My renewal rates still increased significantly the following year, even though I had a zero-at-fault record, and zero points).

Last edited:
This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

I wonder if she enjoyed the Bach response? I had thought if someone causes a car to start shouting at then that they might want to act responsible & leave a note to protect their dignity and ego ;0- I do get in trouble for thinking ;0-

happened to me while i was sitting in my car!

If you had parked nose first, would Sentry mode have captured the plate info do you think?

Reactions: BayAreaBob
Once confronted the culprits said “what do you expect in a parking lot”.
I guess my reply would be "I expect you to pay for your damage to my car through carelessness" :D
Gee, I must be the most lucky car owner these days. Three years, 30,000 miles, 5 cross country trips and not a single ding by a rock or a careless person. Ok, now that I said that, I guess the car will be totaled on my way to Home Depot :rolleyes:

Bravo! I’m glad the cops with the help of Sentry Mode caught the criminal. I had a visible small dent at the passenger side door because of someone like that stupid person. It happened before Sentry Mode. I hope Tesla will now include the backup camera in the Sentry Mode.

Bet she learned from that lesson 1..."you will pay if you trash other people's property :)!"

For now, yes. I expect Tesla will either delete old files, or give the user the option to delete. Hopefully sooner than later.

Are you sure the files you don't archive aren't deleted automatically?

According to the manual, it says only the archived recordings aren't overwritten.

2019-04-22_13-21-56.jpg

night time & frames per second resolution ... the Achilles heel of car cameras.
from the model 3 owner's manual, page 63 says "Note: Dashcam only works when Model 3 is powered on (see Starting and Powering Off on page 44). Dashcam does not record video when your vehicle is powered off."

If that's the case, then how would the dashcam recorded the vehicle driving into that spot?

2019-04-22_13-21-56.jpg

My wish is for incidents like this to get more mainstream exposure because it protects all of us. Even if you forget to turn on Sentry Mode, maybe the random person who parks next to you will realize it's a Tesla and that there's a good chance they are being recorded. There will always be jerks, but perhaps one day be this will be enough of a deterrent to keep more people on better behavior.