TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Aieukl378, Apr 20, 2019.

1. avesraggiana

avesraggiana Member

What’s a “How’s u”?

• Funny x 1
  2. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Ultimately, this needs to be better organized by the car's recording system.

There are no alerts about recordings, I'm afraid. You have to just sort back through the hundreds of files and hope you can find what you want.

Have you ever filled it? If so, what happens? I've yet to year for sure, though I've heard the implication that it cannot record any more once the card is full.

3. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

Yes, I have filled it and recording shuts off.

4. Toysla

Toysla Member

#104 Toysla, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Beautiful! Also, please follow-up with how your insurance handles your renewal- let us know if they kept your rates in line, of if they significantly upped your rates (even though you were not at fault (20 years ago, I had an incident where I was involved in a pedestrian injury incident and was determined to be 100% NOT at-fault by our local police department report, was sued anyway, told by my insurance company I wasn’t at-fault, and settled with plaintiff out-of-court anyway. My renewal rates still increased significantly the following year, even though I had a zero-at-fault record, and zero points).

5. hill

hill Active Member

night time & frames per second resolution ... the Achilles heel of car cameras.

6. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Thank you for the confirmation. So no matter how big the memory chip, at some point we have to remember to pluck it from the car, plug it into a computer and delete all the recorded files.

7. AwlBidnz

AwlBidnz Old Guy to be driven around for yrs to come

I wonder if she enjoyed the Bach response? I had thought if someone causes a car to start shouting at then that they might want to act responsible & leave a note to protect their dignity and ego ;0- I do get in trouble for thinking ;0-

8. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

For now, yes. I expect Tesla will either delete old files, or give the user the option to delete. Hopefully sooner than later.

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

And you just know that this lady was super indignant about the whole thing.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. RedOctober

RedOctober Member

I started parking far away from everyone after several dings to my cars. One person did it while I was walking away from my car. Once confronted the culprits said “what do you expect in a parking lot”. Things occurred that his insurance ended up paying for the repairs. Many have zero respect for other people or property.

• Like x 3
  11. RCMeltzer

RCMeltzer Member

happened to me while i was sitting in my car!

12. Electric Chic

Electric Chic Member

If you had parked nose first, would Sentry mode have captured the plate info do you think?

• Like x 1
  13. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

I guess my reply would be "I expect you to pay for your damage to my car through carelessness" :D
    Gee, I must be the most lucky car owner these days. Three years, 30,000 miles, 5 cross country trips and not a single ding by a rock or a careless person. Ok, now that I said that, I guess the car will be totaled on my way to Home Depot :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. glgador007

glgador007 Member

Bravo! I’m glad the cops with the help of Sentry Mode caught the criminal. I had a visible small dent at the passenger side door because of someone like that stupid person. It happened before Sentry Mode. I hope Tesla will now include the backup camera in the Sentry Mode.

15. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

This was an issue for me. Night time and bad lighting only got a few of the letters on the plate.
    Of course he wore his candidate pin on his shirt.. so that helped.

• Informative x 1
  16. bedoig

bedoig Member

I just came across this earlier today. Seems like it's early stages but could be useful.

TeslaCam Viewer Windows Application

• Informative x 1
  17. TNTWYNN M3

TNTWYNN M3 Member

Bet she learned from that lesson 1..."you will pay if you trash other people's property :)!"

18. Vapourick

Vapourick Member

Are you sure the files you don't archive aren't deleted automatically?

According to the manual, it says only the archived recordings aren't overwritten.

2019-04-22_13-21-56.jpg

• Like x 1
  19. Vapourick

Vapourick Member

from the model 3 owner's manual, page 63 says "Note: Dashcam only works when Model 3 is powered on (see Starting and Powering Off on page 44). Dashcam does not record video when your vehicle is powered off."

If that's the case, then how would the dashcam recorded the vehicle driving into that spot?

2019-04-22_13-21-56.jpg

• Like x 1
  20. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

My wish is for incidents like this to get more mainstream exposure because it protects all of us. Even if you forget to turn on Sentry Mode, maybe the random person who parks next to you will realize it's a Tesla and that there's a good chance they are being recorded. There will always be jerks, but perhaps one day be this will be enough of a deterrent to keep more people on better behavior.

• Like x 2