Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wish is for incidents like this to get more mainstream exposure because it protects all of us. Even if you forget to turn on Sentry Mode, maybe the random person who parks next to you will realize it's a Tesla and that there's a good chance they are being recorded. There will always be jerks, but perhaps one day be this will be enough of a deterrent to keep more people on better behavior.

Agreed. In my case I had to explain the whole system to 1 cop.. 4 insurance companies and then a ton of individuals and some media outlets. Maybe if people pay more attention, they won't just hit Teslas .. or other cars. If they do, at least they'll leave a note.

Agreed. In my case I had to explain the whole system to 1 cop.. 4 insurance companies and then a ton of individuals and some media outlets. Maybe if people pay more attention, they won't just hit Teslas .. or other cars. If they do, at least they'll leave a note.
I ( and probably a number of us) agree with you!
Pls elaborate on what happened to you and why 4 insurance companies were involved.
I would have thought the media would be more interested with increased coverage.
Appreciate your comments.

This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

You've done a great service to us all - thank you!
What city/ state did this take place?
How cooperative were the local PD or state PD?

Your comment was spot on: Finding the right one was like winning the lottery!
A lot of us are cheering for you.

As a number of folks have suggested, getting media exposure on how Teslas are protected helps all of us.
Has anyone approached Tesla on stepping up the PR around this?
There are times they could use some good PR.

from the model 3 owner's manual, page 63 says "Note: Dashcam only works when Model 3 is powered on (see Starting and Powering Off on page 44). Dashcam does not record video when your vehicle is powered off."

If that's the case, then how would the dashcam recorded the vehicle driving into that spot?

View attachment 399584
DashCam is different than Sentry Mode. When Sentry Mode is on and an event triggers, it records the event and the previous 10 min or so to a folder. So Sentry Mode is recording when the car isn’t on.

Reactions: avesraggiana
31D01EF4-238F-46A5-B863-22FDD568480F.png
Can you pls elaborate on how that would be done with the app?
Thanks!
Here you go.

The only time I was hit by a door I was there to see it. I had backed into the goodwill and was donating some stuff when a nice BMW pulled in next to me with about a foot of space. He opened his door into my car, and was like oh I just hit your car, can you check and make sure I didn't do any damage. I kind tripped out and was like why did you park so damn close to me. There was no damage and he probably barely tapped me. He moved his car to the other side of the parking lot, and I was left feeling bad for being such a dick. I wish I had apologized.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I think that is specific to DaschCam, not Sentry Mode. My experience was that when I filled the drive, Sentry stopped working.

ok mine just stopped working today and I have been turning on sentry mode a lot. I've noticed the creation date-time stamp and the modified date-time stamp on the recordings never match that actual time in my timezone. I deleted everything and then did a fresh download from my M3. look the creation and modification date-time stamp are 7 hours in the future. They must be using the UTC timezone.

Can anyone explain Tesla's file naming system? YYYY-MM-DD_ make sense but what about the "_20-23-" part? Is that just a unique file naming convention?

2019-04-22_20-38-06.jpg

"Disable on approach" seems like a bad idea. Say you park outside a supermarket, one of the worst places for getting the doors smashed, then you will often be within 200m of the car even inside the shop.

ok mine just stopped working today and I have been turning on sentry mode a lot. I've noticed the creation date-time stamp and the modified date-time stamp on the recordings never match that actual time in my timezone. I deleted everything and then did a fresh download from my M3. look the creation and modification date-time stamp are 7 hours in the future. They must be using the UTC timezone.

Can anyone explain Tesla's file naming system? YYYY-MM-DD_ make sense but what about the "_20-23-" part? Is that just a unique file naming convention?

View attachment 399698
Yes, it’s UTC.

The other part you asked about is hour and minute, military time I believe.

It’s casualness in how people don’t give one F that just irritates me. This person slammed their door into you car and just walked away like it’s a normal way to exit their car.
For real. Also, I had washed/waxed that morning so this person parks next to the shiniest car in the worst parking spot.
The fact that the driver of the Navigator picked that particular parking place in an area away from other cars, it almost looks like she did it on purpose. Maybe Teslaenvy?
Did your phone notify you that your car was hit? That hit didn't trigger the alarm?
No. I think only a very hard hit(like smashing a window) activates the alarm and notification at this point.

Hmmmm, I mentioned this to the wife just now as that sounds odd. She's processed thousands of claims from a lot of insurance companies over the decades. Her comment..... "What. Did the dog pee on it too?" That might be an act of nature :D This sounds like their insurance agent is making excuses not to process a "no fault" claim or help getting reimbursement. If a tree fell on it, then ok, but a person did this through either negligence or intent." So, did your agent tell you it was an act of nature? Maybe consider another company. ;)
I'm not sure...maybe it's state by state? In any case the other driver's insurance is covering it so all good:).