TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Aieukl378, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

Agreed. In my case I had to explain the whole system to 1 cop.. 4 insurance companies and then a ton of individuals and some media outlets. Maybe if people pay more attention, they won't just hit Teslas .. or other cars. If they do, at least they'll leave a note.

• Like x 2
  2. BayAreaBob

BayAreaBob Member

Can you pls elaborate on how that would be done with the app?
    Thanks!

3. BayAreaBob

BayAreaBob Member

I ( and probably a number of us) agree with you!
    Pls elaborate on what happened to you and why 4 insurance companies were involved.
    I would have thought the media would be more interested with increased coverage.
    Appreciate your comments.

4. BayAreaBob

BayAreaBob Member

Any idea why the back camera doesn't record?
    I'm not seeing the logic around that.
    Thanks

5. BayAreaBob

BayAreaBob Member

You've done a great service to us all - thank you!
    What city/ state did this take place?
    How cooperative were the local PD or state PD?

Your comment was spot on: Finding the right one was like winning the lottery!
    A lot of us are cheering for you.

As a number of folks have suggested, getting media exposure on how Teslas are protected helps all of us.
    Has anyone approached Tesla on stepping up the PR around this?
    There are times they could use some good PR.

6. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

Not sure. I thought I read it was a technical limitation, but I could be remembering incorrectly. It could also be that they wanted to get Sentry Mode out and with limited functionality and they will add it later. I hope I remembered wrong and it’s the latter.

7. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Active Member

And also why they don't use the wide angle front camera, only the narrow one.

8. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

I think that is specific to DaschCam, not Sentry Mode. My experience was that when I filled the drive, Sentry stopped working.

9. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

DashCam is different than Sentry Mode. When Sentry Mode is on and an event triggers, it records the event and the previous 10 min or so to a folder. So Sentry Mode is recording when the car isn’t on.

• Like x 1
  10. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

31D01EF4-238F-46A5-B863-22FDD568480F.png
    Here you go.

11. AOK1

AOK1 Member

You should back in anyway because it is safer to back in than to back out (because you cannot see what you are backing out into).

• Like x 2
  12. Jae001

Jae001 Member

I didn't even know that was illegal??? You know how many door dings I have gotten on all my cars through the years. I wish I had this tech a long time ago. I hate door dings!!

13. Amp Dup

Amp Dup Member

Is sentry mode only on Model 3? I want some!

14. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

The only time I was hit by a door I was there to see it. I had backed into the goodwill and was donating some stuff when a nice BMW pulled in next to me with about a foot of space. He opened his door into my car, and was like oh I just hit your car, can you check and make sure I didn't do any damage. I kind tripped out and was like why did you park so damn close to me. There was no damage and he probably barely tapped me. He moved his car to the other side of the parking lot, and I was left feeling bad for being such a dick. I wish I had apologized.

• Like x 1
  15. Vapourick

Vapourick Member

ok mine just stopped working today and I have been turning on sentry mode a lot. I've noticed the creation date-time stamp and the modified date-time stamp on the recordings never match that actual time in my timezone. I deleted everything and then did a fresh download from my M3. look the creation and modification date-time stamp are 7 hours in the future. They must be using the UTC timezone.

Can anyone explain Tesla's file naming system? YYYY-MM-DD_ make sense but what about the "_20-23-" part? Is that just a unique file naming convention?

2019-04-22_20-38-06.jpg

16. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Active Member

"Disable on approach" seems like a bad idea. Say you park outside a supermarket, one of the worst places for getting the doors smashed, then you will often be within 200m of the car even inside the shop.

17. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

Yes, it’s UTC.

The other part you asked about is hour and minute, military time I believe.

18. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

For real. Also, I had washed/waxed that morning so this person parks next to the shiniest car in the worst parking spot.
    No. I think only a very hard hit(like smashing a window) activates the alarm and notification at this point.

19. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

Yes.

20. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

I'm not sure...maybe it's state by state? In any case the other driver's insurance is covering it so all good:).

• Informative x 3