TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Aieukl378, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

Doesn't effect me whatsoever as other driver's insurance is paying.

2. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

Shout out to Dennis, MA PD! When I showed the officer on duty the vid ha echoed many of the comments posted here and seemed pretty pissed himself.

• Like x 1
  3. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

My company.. his, then the rental, then the one that the rental offloads their claims to.
    In the end it is being handled. It got some minor coverage in local media, but it was reprinted in tons of blogs and sites internationally.
    His story was always a mix of lies and plausible deniability and they seem to be falling for it.

4. Exscite

Exscite Member

Hotlobstah:
    Please post the video portion which shows the license plate that allowed the police to identify the culprit.

I appreciate the ding/Sentry report. I'll certainly get my Sentry going from now on!

5. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Yea, I generally agree except that there is sometimes as much risk backing into a spot as there is backing out later. There are some places out here where it is not allowed to back into a parking spot.

6. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

Someone probably gave a more detailed answer but Sentry does the 'while parked' recordings. I presume, since Sentry recorded the car pulling in next to OP, (it recorded front plate) that it is constantly recording and detecting an incursion, broken glass or something else that jars car, does it start saving. A nexus between TeslaCam and Setry would be if activating Sentry keeps car 'on' therefor clearing the Dashcam rule about car being on.

• Helpful x 1
  7. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

For it to save the previous 10 mins makes it sound like, effectively, it IS dashcam but rather than operator action triggering the saving of that 10 mins, it is a movement of the car, like breaking glass, banging door, etc. Question: How is the driver, upon returning, notified there is recorded footage. Dashcam, for instance, the op knows as they initiate the saving of the last 10 mins worth of recording.

8. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

Yes, it would be good to see that portion of the recording. If the OP backed into the space such that the front camera picked up the license plate wouldn't the picture of the actual door ding be in reverse? I would hope Sentry/DashCam records from all cameras as not everybody backs into a parking spot and to catch the arrival you'd need to have available footage from both front and back cameras. It would seem to me one could discern as the dashcam is chest to chin height whereas the backup camera is knee height.

Update: where the poster said it was the left repeater (is that the B pillar or turn signal cam?) the car was on the left hand side nose to tail. Does anyone know if the backup camera is saved?

9. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Currently they aren't unless the incident was severe enough to trigger an alarm (which you'll be notified of on your phone). But in firmware 2019.12 a notification pops up on the car's screen if something happened that put Sentry in alert mode. Of course what we need next is a way to view the recordings on the screen. I'm sure that's on their todo list.

• Informative x 1
  10. hill

hill Active Member

#150 hill, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Even after backup cameras became envogue, people backed up over & killed their own toddlers. Believe it or not - being oblivious doesn't exculpate one from their consequences. My better ½, still suffering from lingering chemotherapy fog - thought she was capable of driving, despite my insistence to the contrary. She, backing out of the garage, ground both of our 2 cars together & then drove off. I pointed out when she returned hours later that I could hear the grinding, since the garage door was left open, from ½ way up the stairs. Pointing out that her consequences were small, considering it could have been a child - she stop driving for a few more months until we both agreed she was ready. She wouldn't have even heard the noise from a child, which would have been less noisy than two cars grinding together.

11. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

On the issue of whether this was deliberate or not, I would suspect not but...
    For those that follow the Model 3 Owners Club (now Global Tesla Owners Club) YouTube vids, Eric Camarco recently said in going to movies he always sits way away from everybody yet, inexplicably, people will always chose to sit next to or in close proximity to him. Ever park at the far end of the parking lot where nobody else is? When you return at least one person has parked right next to or behind you? I don't think it's ill intent, rather "HEY! great idea, I'll park away from the others as well".

• Like x 1
  12. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

thanks Deb!

13. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

Either "it's me" or there is a lot of mystery to Sentry mode. I get the smashed window but so far we've seen a near hit incursion (front bumper grazing parked rear bumper) and a door ding. On the bumper hit, I'd guess the hit was a mere kiss of the two bumper, otherwise in the video you'd see see the picture shake with the impact. Ditto on the door ding. In neither case was there a "disruption in the force". Yes, breaking a window is more violent than a door ding...or is that a perception thing? From the perspective of the car, it's not clear if breaking a glass is more violent than bumpers kissing or a door ding. So I think it's a really good question, just how much force does it take to trigger the saving of a Sentry vid. I'm not willing to take a hammer to the car to find out. I'll have to go someplace without the phone key and bump against the car to see...or better yet, some else can and report back. ;)

14. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Sentry Mode will save 10 minutes of video whenever it detects someone close to the car (entering "Alert" state). Breaking a window will cause it to go to "Alarm" state which triggers a notification to your phone and loud music playing.

Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

15. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

At this point, you only know by pulling the drive and looking through the files.

16. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

We don't know exactly what sensors the system currently uses to detect break-ins. Perhaps it just reacts to the sound of breaking glass detected by the interior microphone. The car has motion sensors (IMU), but it's not clear if they are sensitive enough to detect something like a door ding, or if they are used at all for Sentry Mode (has anyone tested if shaking the car triggers an alarm?).
    As previously mentioned, motion detected by the cameras triggers the saving of a video ("alert mode"). It just doesn't trigger an alarm.

17. Vapourick

Vapourick Member

from the recordings on my car, sentry mode appears to currently only utilize the following cameras:
    1. front
    2. left repeater
    3. right repeater
    2019-04-23_11-12-34.jpg

hopefully we'll see a future update the also utilizes the rear and other cameras.

here's a good real word test of sentry mode

• Informative x 1
  18. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

There appears to be some confusion about how Sentry mode operates. It's like this:

1. In the current firmware version, when Sentry mode is enabled, all 3 currently-enabled cameras (front, left rear-facing repeater, and right rear-facing repeater) are recording ALWAYS. They constantly save their footage to the USB flash drive until the car is unlocked. There is no time limit and no overwrite -- the recordings will continue until the car is unlocked or the drive is full.

2. If Sentry mode detects a minor bump, it triggers an "Alert" which causes the center screen to show the message that cameras are recording.

3. If Sentry mode detects a major bump, glass break, or door open, it triggers the "Alarm" which is loudly played from the speakers. The user is notified via the app if an Alarm sounds.

In the current firmware, the user gets no notification about Alerts. The only way to see if an Alert occurred is to scrub through the footage manually. In firmware version 2019.12, the center screen will notify you the next time you start the car if any Alerts occurred during the last Sentry mode operation.

I believe Tesla intends to augment Sentry's behavior with regards to the drive space issue in future firmware versions (i.e. auto-deletes old footage as new footage replaces it, permanently saves footage from alerts and alarms automatically including up to 10 minutes prior to the alert or alarm). But this functionality is not yet implemented.

I also believe Tesla intends to add the other cameras into Sentry's recording, but that's not implemented yet either.

Dashcam functionality is different, it runs when the car is on and driving.

1. Records constantly from front, left rear-facing repeater, and right rear-facing repeater. Footage up to 1 hour old is saved, after that new footage overwrites it.

2. Hitting the dashcam button on the screen saves the last 10 minutes of footage permanently to the SavedClips folder. This footage will not be overwritten. Some people have reported that the most-recent 1 minute of footage is corrupted when saved. It may be worth waiting 60 seconds before you hit the dashcam button if you want to save footage so that the important event is not contained within the last file.

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  19. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

I'm really not sure how the proximity sensors work on this early release but it was catching vehicles that were entering the parking lot(about 150 ft away) and driving toward/past me. It captured the guilty vehicle entering the parking lot then approaching my car. When it made the turn into the adjacent space it was close enough to read part of the lic plate. Interestingly it did not record the other vehicle leaving the space which kinda doesn't make sense to me.

20. Hock1

Hock1 Member

Thanks.