Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing will ever change if we can’t share pics/videos of people committing crimes in public. Destruction of property is a crime, and this woman did it in a public place. I’m not sharing her name or any private details about her. I’m just sharing what anyone else in that public place would have seen. I feel that’s reasonable and within my rights.
I agree. You might as well give up replying. There is always someone out there that wants to tell you what to do, and they will keep on nagging you until you see it their way.:rolleyes:

What I wonder is will people having, and using, Sentry mode end up in a decrease in insurance rates for Teslas? (Since there should be fewer cases of having to cover hit-and-run parking lot and vandalism incidents.)
Mike, the wife doesn't think things like this will ever decrease insurance rates. It is just her one person opinion, but she has been doing claims for 25-30 years. Saying the majority of the cost in claims is not little things like this, it is major car damage, medical payments, and big bills to attorneys.

Mike, the wife doesn't think things like this will ever decrease insurance rates. It is just her one person opinion, but she has been doing claims for 25-30 years. Saying the majority of the cost in claims is not little things like this, it is major car damage, medical payments, and big bills to attorneys.
Does she have an opinion on the increasing number of dashcams in use while driving? Seams it could reduce the lawyer costs. But nothing really decreases lawyer costs.

Does she have an opinion on the increasing number of dashcams in use while driving? Seams it could reduce the lawyer costs. But nothing really decreases lawyer costs.
yup amen on that one...… nothing will decrease attorney costs. ;) The dashcam thought is an interesting one. I would think it has no effect on lawyer costs. Maybe I am missing something. What is the line of thinking that it could reduce lawyer costs? We are a bit puzzled.

yup amen on that one...… nothing will decrease attorney costs. ;) The dashcam thought is an interesting one. I would think it has no effect on lawyer costs. Maybe I am missing something. What is the line of thinking that it could reduce lawyer costs? We are a bit puzzled.
More concrete evidence. Less he said she said. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: RScottyL
I share your wife's opinion and reasoning but I suppose we could wonder if aggressive driving might go down if drivers expect to be on video.

We are heading (real fast) to being a surveillance state, and insurance companies would love it since they could improve their risk stratifications.

I've made it a habit to activate Sentry Mode whenever I'm forced to park near other cars. It looks like it payed off today. I got back from lunch and noticed my passenger side rear bumper corner was scraped. Reviewed the video and clearly see a woman hitting my car. She knows she did it, but didn't make any attempt to leave me a note.

I've filed a complaint with local police and provided the video. Hopefully they can get me her insurance info so I can file a claim. I'd love to see the woman's face after she denies it and then they show her the video proof.
Wish I had this when someone slammed their door into my drivers side door and left a huge dent. That was an expensive repair and the person didn't leave me a note.

I've made it a habit to activate Sentry Mode whenever I'm forced to park near other cars. It looks like it payed off today. I got back from lunch and noticed my passenger side rear bumper corner was scraped. Reviewed the video and clearly see a woman hitting my car. She knows she did it, but didn't make any attempt to leave me a note.

I've filed a complaint with local police and provided the video. Hopefully they can get me her insurance info so I can file a claim. I'd love to see the woman's face after she denies it and then they show her the video proof.

What an idiotic way to park, was it that difficult to drive back once she saw how close she was? Whatever payment you can get from her or her insurance is warranted, this was no accident, this was pure stupidity and laziness.

Reactions: FlyErik
Spoke to a sheriff in Carnation WA about a tailgating driver who went zipping around me across a double yellow when I was doing the speed limit. I hit “save”, so I figured I’d ask. Sherif was *very* interested to learn the capabilities of the camera system, but advised that they are required to identify the individual driving the car. They can’t issue tickets and such against the vehicle, only the driver.

Something to know if you find yourself in the OPs situation and you want to put your video to work.

Spoke to a sheriff in Carnation WA about a tailgating driver who went zipping around me across a double yellow when I was doing the speed limit. I hit “save”, so I figured I’d ask. Sherif was *very* interested to learn the capabilities of the camera system, but advised that they are required to identify the individual driving the car. They can’t issue tickets and such against the vehicle, only the driver.

Something to know if you find yourself in the OPs situation and you want to put your video to work.

Traffic violation must be given to the driver. Insurance, however, applies to the car not the driver so in the OP's case identifying the car is sufficient.

What an idiotic way to park, was it that difficult to drive back once she saw how close she was? Whatever payment you can get from her or her insurance is warranted, this was no accident, this was pure stupidity and laziness.
I can make it, I can make it, oops.

What I can't understand is what is going through her mind when she stayed parked next to the car she damaged?

That's amazing! It sure looks like she hit you. The most amazing thing is she continued to park next to you. I think Sentry mode should be automatically enabled when you park NOT at home and leave the car.Essentially, not at home and the car is locked.

Related question. The video automatically goes to Tesla, and you get an email or a notification via the smartphone app with link to the mp4 or whatever?

Reactions: b team