Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that is scary... just think, that lady is out there driving around every day, with kids in the car. She can't even handle a simple parking job - imagine how bad she is on the roads! Sadly, there are just too many of these people now, which is why I would like to see self driving cars take over the world. What if we made driving tests really hard?? People like her should not be allowed to drive...
Here's an article on how hard it is to get a license in Germany, where roads are infinitely safer than here in the U.S.:
How Getting a German Drivers' License Almost Broke Me

Reactions: SunCharged
I've made it a habit to activate Sentry Mode whenever I'm forced to park near other cars. It looks like it payed off today. I got back from lunch and noticed my passenger side rear bumper corner was scraped. Reviewed the video and clearly see a woman hitting my car. She knows she did it, but didn't make any attempt to leave me a note.

I've filed a complaint with local police and provided the video. Hopefully they can get me her insurance info so I can file a claim. I'd love to see the woman's face after she denies it and then they show her the video proof.

Great job getting this video out, hopefully ppl will think twice, before getting near any Tesla and not take a chance parking or driving near by them.....you need to post this on YouTube also, get the word across

I've made it a habit to activate Sentry Mode whenever I'm forced to park near other cars. It looks like it payed off today. I got back from lunch and noticed my passenger side rear bumper corner was scraped. Reviewed the video and clearly see a woman hitting my car. She knows she did it, but didn't make any attempt to leave me a note.

I've filed a complaint with local police and provided the video. Hopefully they can get me her insurance info so I can file a claim. I'd love to see the woman's face after she denies it and then they show her the video proof.

It is just so annoying how careless and inconsiderate people are. She had to know she hit the car. I’m sure it made some sort of impact or sound. And if this driver couldn’t tell that they hit a vehicle, couldn’t perceive the hit, they should not be operating a vehicle.

Reactions: FlyErik

THAT'S SO AWESOME!

Would you be okay if someone did it to your car? I would be livid if someone damaged my car and didn't even bother to leave a note. Fixing a fender bender costs a lot of money. I think public shaming is appropriate.

In most countries the state both decides what punishment is appropriate and executes it.

This prevents certain problems seen in weaker states, such as revenge killings and feuds.

See also
Monopoly on violence - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
That's amazing! It sure looks like she hit you. The most amazing thing is she continued to park next to you. I think Sentry mode should be automatically enabled when you park NOT at home and leave the car.Essentially, not at home and the car is locked.

Related question. The video automatically goes to Tesla, and you get an email or a notification via the smartphone app with link to the mp4 or whatever?
You can see the paint damage on HER bumper

This is why I am in favor of mandatory & enforcing front plates.
Has nothing to do with aesthetics. Has to do with my fellow humans being douche bags & can't be trusted in incidences such as this.

Oh but it is. Everyone who doesn't put one on say, 'It ruins (pick one: the lines, looks, aerodynamics).' I say, it's the law, I put one one. It's like speeding... when people say they've never been caught. Doesn't make it legal and boo hoo when you get a ticket for it.

Reactions: VQTRVA
This is why I am in favor of mandatory & enforcing front plates.
Has nothing to do with aesthetics. Has to do with my fellow humans being douche bags & can't be trusted in incidences such as this.
They are mandatory in CT. Rather than the Tesla supplied plastic thingie with dbl sided tape, easy to pull off, I bought "The Law" from Evenex, which secures far better and mechanically.

I, actually, thought they are mandatory in most states, certainly Mass, RI, CT, VA, DE, OH (I recollect serves).

Last edited:
Just because you have a right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. In this case, there are laws related to this sort of thing, and you have proof of the infraction, so you can get redress. Publicizing it won't help you personally, and could hurt you. You can argue that publicizing it will create an environment in which people will think twice before repeating this woman's mistake, and there is validity to that argument; but that's really what the laws are for. People already know that they should leave a note in this sort of situation, but some people don't do it for whatever reason. Public shaming, particularly on a national level for minor local infractions, will create a risk of outsized harm to the perpetrator, and contributes to a social environment in which people are punished by society, if not the law, for relatively minor infractions.
I do not see the value of the 'perp' the thing, as most people don't follow this forum. I view the value being "see!, it actually creates actionable video". Frankly, I thought the quality of the images from those cameras being really third rate. I thought that was quite good video.

Elon responded to a tweet about the video showing someone keying a Tesla...

What I wonder is will people having, and using, Sentry mode end up in a decrease in insurance rates for Teslas? (Since there should be fewer cases of having to cover hit-and-run parking lot and vandalism incidents.)
I cannot speak for west coast insurance rates but they are hideously expensive on the east coast. Anything that would lower them is a very good thing.

I have seen A LOT of cars hit another car... and drove to a different parking spot to park. I will leave a note on the car that got hit with other car's license plate number and make/model.

It's kind of hard to tell if she noticed it or not... at one point she did seem like she glance OP's rear bumper. Interesting thing is that if she would have backed out and park somewhere else, there would be no camera footage at all. The only reason it records was because she got out of the car next to OP's car. Sentry mode does not record a car pull in next to your car unless a person got in/out.
No, that’s not correct, the system starts recording from either cars driving by or people and started recording before her car was even in view

• Informative
Reactions: Shaggy and whatthe2
You can see the paint damage on HER bumper
Yes, Thanks, I noticed that too. That doesn't necessarily mean anything other than really bad depth perception. I just cant get beyond just ignoring it. I bet the baby in the back was screaming their little lungs out. There's a part of me that sympathizes with these moms that have to drag a toddler or baby around with them where ever they go. That's a downside to women who chose to have a child san the father. But that's for another forum.

It is just so annoying how careless and inconsiderate people are. She had to know she hit the car. I’m sure it made some sort of impact or sound. And if this driver couldn’t tell that they hit a vehicle, couldn’t perceive the hit, they should not be operating a vehicle.
She obviously knows she hit it because she stopped pulling forward and backed up a bit
She obviously knows she hit it because she stopped pulling forward and backed up and then she was looking directly at the damage for a long time

5A075E6C-9D71-4F6D-AD6E-A2FCCBA04FC5.jpeg

Please be sure to update this thread as the situation plays out. I have to leave my Model S in the airport employee lot for days at a time. I’m so glad to FINALLY have Sentry Mode!

View attachment 392482

Please be sure to update this thread as the situation plays out. I have to leave my Model S in the airport employee lot for days at a time. I’m so glad to FINALLY have Sentry Mode!
Do remember it keeps the car from sleeping. Not a big deal if the airport is close, the trip isn’t too long, or there is a supercharger nearby. But something to consider.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
No, that’s not correct, the system starts recording from either cars driving by or people and started recording before her car was even in view

The car is recording ALL the time, but to trigger the 10 min saved event, you need a human to be closed by on the sides or in the front. When it detects a human close by, it moved the current min and the previous 9 min from the RecentClip folder to a saved folder in the SavedClip folder.

So if she didn't park there, it would not have triggered the "save" so the clips will stay in the RecentClip folder and eventually get overwritten. However, if she moved to a different spot, another car could pull in and that driver would come out and triggered the "save". And that "saved" folder would contain the previous 10 min. So if another car pull into that parking spot within 10 min, OP will still have the clips of the event in a saved folder!