Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In most countries the state both decides what punishment is appropriate and executes it.

This prevents certain problems seen in weaker states, such as revenge killings and feuds.

See also
Monopoly on violence - Wikipedia
Public disclosure of criminal convictions is distinct from the concept of monopoly on violence. In the U.S. we have a system of both monopoly on violence and a strong presumption that records of misdeeds are public. Disclosure is not violence.

For those who wanted to see the damage, I've attached images. Luckily it's confined to the bumper edge. Some of the marks up high might buff out. But, the two lower marks are where the paint is gone.

I sent pics and a description to a local Tesla-certified body shop. They said the whole bumper would have to be re-sprayed. Estimate is $1300 to repair, almost entirely labor.

I have to wait a couple days before the police report is ready. Once I get it I should be able to file a claim with the woman's insurance.

IMG_0699.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg
IMG_0701.jpg

I’d noticed that my model 3 cameras are always recoding driving or parking without Sentry mode.

Once you stick in a memory stick, it auto records while you are driving & before you get out.
You can PAUSE the recordings by holding the cam icon for 2 seconds when it is in record mode.

Sentry mode recording works in 3 layers I believe: when some1 or something trespasses into the car's 'personal' space; when car gets bumped; & when unauthorized entry into the cabin is made.

I've made it a habit to activate Sentry Mode whenever I'm forced to park near other cars. It looks like it payed off today. I got back from lunch and noticed my passenger side rear bumper corner was scraped. Reviewed the video and clearly see a woman hitting my car. She knows she did it, but didn't make any attempt to leave me a note.

I've filed a complaint with local police and provided the video. Hopefully they can get me her insurance info so I can file a claim. I'd love to see the woman's face after she denies it and then they show her the video proof.

Sadly some of us will be SOL in this scenario... when his by vehicles with no front license plates... like here in Florida...

For me, the elephant in the room issue on this is that cars with front steering wheels (= all cars) are fairly incompatible with parking at a 90 degree angle. Look at the radius normal wheels describe and the low margin of error for this.

It is obvious that us Xpelled Ceramic coated almost 6 digit invested early adopter game changer planet saver mars flying perfectionists hit that too tight inside curb rash threatening parking spot perfectly every time. And of course none of us OCD over wheels, curb rash or needing self parking Teslas, right?

The young mother with a squawking toddler in the back seat may have different priorities in her life, and is probably thinking that she did no dent, but it seems to me is trying to do the right things in here life. Which cannot be said for all of the Tesla owner videos we see around the interwebs.

My take: the issue in this mainly lies in our stupid parking lot design, which is completely counterintuitive and outright wrong. Bad design makes people miserable. And architects should pay for building traps.

This is what happens when driving is considered by our career politicians as a "human right" so we give out licenses to anyone, including those not legally here and people like this broad, who clearly sucks at driving and is a danger to others.
Hold on to your generalization Jethro.
There are more people who are citizens here who do stupid things behind the wheel including DWI & DUI than your average immigrant.
So unless you got some data to back that up, I'd say you better keep your veiled anti immigrant slant & women are things desires to yourself.
& before you go lumping people into the same bucket with your ultra nationalist machismo & calling women 'broads' - how bout you get out from behind your fancy driver 's aid & show us if you can really drive?

I sent pics and a description to a local Tesla-certified body shop. They said the whole bumper would have to be re-sprayed. Estimate is $1300 to repair, almost entirely labor.

That would be perfect for the Tesla light damage repair shops, where it would be much faster, and probably cheaper. (They keep a stock of painted bumper covers in stock, so it would just be a quick swap.) But it doesn't look like there is one close to you yet.

Spoke to a sheriff in Carnation WA about a tailgating driver who went zipping around me across a double yellow when I was doing the speed limit. I hit “save”, so I figured I’d ask. Sherif was *very* interested to learn the capabilities of the camera system, but advised that they are required to identify the individual driving the car. They can’t issue tickets and such against the vehicle, only the driver.

Something to know if you find yourself in the OPs situation and you want to put your video to work.

If something egregious were to happen well, then the Sheriff can go knock on the owner's door and ask who was driving the car at that time. I very recently was passed by an idiot on a motorcycle who had to be doing about 90. Shortly thereafter the entire highway was closed after a car 'swerved for an as yet undisclosed reason', hit a disabled vehicle and killed the driver. The child in the back seat was life flighted out of there. Another person was killed rear ending a tractor trailer that had stopped. Now, I don't KNOW the motorcycle had anything to do with it and unfortunately I was too rattled to think to hit save on my dashcam (and was well over an hour away from home so it would have been recorded over by the time I thought of it). But, a dashcam with a license plate would have given the state troopers someone to question...hope it was caught on the VDOT cameras at least.

• Helpful
Reactions: FFR6288
The car is recording ALL the time, but to trigger the 10 min saved event, you need a human to be closed by on the sides or in the front. When it detects a human close by, it moved the current min and the previous 9 min from the RecentClip folder to a saved folder in the SavedClip folder.

So if she didn't park there, it would not have triggered the "save" so the clips will stay in the RecentClip folder and eventually get overwritten. However, if she moved to a different spot, another car could pull in and that driver would come out and triggered the "save". And that "saved" folder would contain the previous 10 min. So if another car pull into that parking spot within 10 min, OP will still have the clips of the event in a saved folder!
That's not correct. I have saved video from Sentry mode activated recordings of cars driving by that are from days ago. It doesn't need an impact or a person near to save. A car simply driving by will save the clips.

That's not correct. I have saved video from Sentry mode activated recordings of cars driving by that are from days ago. It doesn't need an impact or a person near to save. A car simply driving by will save the clips.

I have my sentry mode on everyday at work for 9+ hours since Sentry Mode first came out. I parked in the first spot and hundreds of cars drive right by me and in front of my car... so far when I reviewed all the clips... every single one of them was trigger by a person not by a car.

You did look at the 2nd set of 3 of the most recent files right? The newest 3 files (front/left/right) do not contain the trigger. They are usually less than 30MB in size. The 2nd newest 3 files would contain the trigger. So far every single event I got, I found a person entering or leaving the car parked next to me. Or a person walk in front of my car.

I have my sentry mode on everyday at work for 9+ hours since Sentry Mode first came out. I parked in the first spot and hundreds of cars drive right by me and in front of my car... so far when I reviewed all the clips... every single one of them was trigger by a person not by a car.

You did look at the 2nd set of 3 of the most recent files right? The newest 3 files (front/left/right) do not contain the trigger. They are usually less than 30MB in size. The 2nd newest 3 files would contain the trigger. So far every single event I got, I found a person entering or leaving the car parked next to me. Or a person walk in front of my car.
I'll have to triple check when I get home (car is currently at the airport until Friday), but the ones I looked at last week were triggered by cars driving by and parking behind me. I guess I can't say for sure someone didn't walk by my car after parking their car, so I will certainly look, as I'll have plenty of data to look through. If anyone else could confirm, would be great info to have.

For those who wanted to see the damage, I've attached images. Luckily it's confined to the bumper edge. Some of the marks up high might buff out. But, the two lower marks are where the paint is gone.

I have to wait a couple days before the police report is ready. Once I get it I should be able to file a claim with the woman's insurance.

View attachment 392517 View attachment 392518 View attachment 392519

That price is absurd. My quote from Trsla to replace an entire bumper was about $650 at the Tesla shop.

That price is absurd. My quote from Trsla to replace an entire bumper was about $650 at the Tesla shop.

Actually, I just had mine replaced at the Tesla body shop in San Jose a little over a week ago (also bumped in the parking lot which punctured the bumper cover, but no video so I had to pay deductible). It was $1300. Difference likely due to high cost of labor for my area. Called on Monday, they replaced it on Thursday. Had the part ready and waiting so I waited while they worked on it.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I don’t want to deal with putting it through my insurance company.

The local police were happy to get involved once I told them the video showed the license plate and driver’s face. They didn’t care that it was a private parking lot. I already provided the video to them and filed a report. I’m not exactly sure what they’re going to do, since I doubt this qualifies as hit-and-run. But, the officer did say there would be a report and I’d be able to get her insurance info. With that and the video I should be able to make a claim against her insurance.
That's good news! At the very least, once her insurance company see's her fault, she will notice an increase in her car insurance. That is a form of "justice"!