Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope there is an option to set Sentry mode "ON" by default each time you park in the next update.
Elon already confirmed there will be, with options to set for sentry mode to:
1. always turn on
2. turn on only when away from certain locations (ie home)
3. always off

There are some other options I don't recall off the top of my head. Option 2 is what I'll be using.

Also, there are phone apps that can already do this. Android users can do it through Tasker w/ Tesla add-on. TeslaFi can as well.

That's amazing! It sure looks like she hit you. The most amazing thing is she continued to park next to you. I think Sentry mode should be automatically enabled when you park NOT at home and leave the car.Essentially, not at home and the car is locked.

Related question. The video automatically goes to Tesla, and you get an email or a notification via the smartphone app with link to the mp4 or whatever?

Those options are coming.

Just because you have a right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. In this case, there are laws related to this sort of thing, and you have proof of the infraction, so you can get redress. Publicizing it won't help you personally, and could hurt you. You can argue that publicizing it will create an environment in which people will think twice before repeating this woman's mistake, and there is validity to that argument; but that's really what the laws are for. People already know that they should leave a note in this sort of situation, but some people don't do it for whatever reason. Public shaming, particularly on a national level for minor local infractions, will create a risk of outsized harm to the perpetrator, and contributes to a social environment in which people are punished by society, if not the law, for relatively minor infractions.

It is the right thing to do. If people start to realize there's a good chance they are being videoed when damaging others' cars, they may think twice or three times before maliciously doing their nasty thing. Same goes for obnoxious if not dangerous driving out on the roads. Next time someone cuts you off, hit the record button and call it in.

The existing laws do no good unless you can prove what you say. Having immediate video of dangerous criminal behavior is going to make for some quick action and perhaps arrests. And since this is all new, it will go viral, which is exactly what we want. Why do video burglar alarm systems work? BC the bad guys realize those systems raise the odds of them getting caught. Same principle here: the more people know they can be caught on video doing the wrong thing, the less inclined they will be to do it.

Wow, that is scary... just think, that lady is out there driving around every day, with kids in the car. She can't even handle a simple parking job - imagine how bad she is on the roads! Sadly, there are just too many of these people now, which is why I would like to see self driving cars take over the world. What if we made driving tests really hard?? People like her should not be allowed to drive...

Reactions: FlyErik
Would you be okay if someone did it to your car? I would be livid if someone damaged my car and didn't even bother to leave a note. Fixing a fender bender costs a lot of money. I think public shaming is appropriate.
Hitting your car and then leaving is a hit and run. My point was the public shaming was appropriate because she left instead of taking responsibility.

I don’t want to deal with putting it through my insurance company.

The local police were happy to get involved once I told them the video showed the license plate and driver’s face. They didn’t care that it was a private parking lot. I already provided the video to them and filed a report. I’m not exactly sure what they’re going to do, since I doubt this qualifies as hit-and-run. But, the officer did say there would be a report and I’d be able to get her insurance info. With that and the video I should be able to make a claim against her insurance.
WOW. You're definitely NOT in Occupied Kalifornia ... They'd never even take action on this unless you were way out in a rural area. Hope you're able to nail this idiot. Sad that she's reproducing with zero ethics or consideration for others.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
OP, thanks for the post. I'm also interested to see how this turns out. I bet Stevie Wonder drives better than that !!! She seems really inexperienced and hardly knows how to open a back door, much less drive the car. She did look at the corner of your car, so seems to realize she may have scrapped it. She didn't look at the front of her bumper though. Maybe she doesn't care what happens to her car.
This is what happens when driving is considered by our career politicians as a "human right" so we give out licenses to anyone, including those not legally here and people like this broad, who clearly sucks at driving and is a danger to others.
Places like Germany don't play around with the privilege of driving, and therefore can have much safer roads with "suggested" speed limits on the Autobahn. We get what we elect, and if we want to stimulate public transit, people like this woman should lose that privilege and be riding the bus. Win-win for everyone!

I honestly think that the touch was light enough that she didn't know she hit the car only because she stayed parked there. Otherwise she would be incredibly stupid to stay parked there.

I have seen A LOT of cars hit another car... and drove to a different parking spot to park. I will leave a note on the car that got hit with other car's license plate number and make/model.

It's kind of hard to tell if she noticed it or not... at one point she did seem like she glance OP's rear bumper. Interesting thing is that if she would have backed out and park somewhere else, there would be no camera footage at all. The only reason it records was because she got out of the car next to OP's car. Sentry mode does not record a car pull in next to your car unless a person got in/out.

In Ca hitting a car and leaving is a misdemeanor and a felony if there is bodily harm. Happened to my wife’s car (parked, no one hurt), Good Samaritan got a plate number and using that I was able to have my insurance find out who’s car it was, and then made a claim on their insurance, who paid for the damages. We decided not to press charges, he was an old guy and we left it to karma, but we were made whole thru his insurance no problem. Only if you go thru your own insurance (I.e. have no idea who hit you) will there be a deductible, and it wouldn’t be through comprehensive, it would be collision. Comp is for vandalism and theft.

I don't remember. I didn't notice the damage until I got back to the office, so I didn't pay attention to who was parked around me when I left lunch.
I thought Sentry mode is supposed to notify you asap thru the app if there was an incident. If not, it should...maybe next update?
Also, my drive got full when sentry mode was on and it just stopped recording. I didn't notice until I was on the road after a few hours. So for the rest of the trip, I didn't have any recording. It's a good thing nothing major happened. The solution (until there is a better fix) is to have another flash drive in the car ready to be used.