Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is good stuff. However, realistically I put your chances of getting 'paid' for this at 5%.
The OP already posted that the police have reached out to the offending driver, a report is generated and then the insurance companies of both involved will hash it out. The OP's insurance company will recoup the costs from the others insurance. Unfortunately, the OP may be out of his deductible(?) I have been in fender benders where I am not a fault and my insurance company goes after ALL costs, to include my deductible. After all, "why" would I be punished for another's misdeeds??

Why not? If you can identify the at fault driver your deductible does not apply.
Your dectuctable may be waived if the at-fault driver is identified, but the tell-tale sign is to see if your next year renewal premium happens to increase at a level never seen before..... Insurance companies, like lawyer’s fees, are ALWAYS paid by someone...
Good luck & keep us posted on the outcome!

Isn't that a local regulation thing? For instance, in TX I have to have front license plates so I have them on my Tesla Model 3. It was very easy to add the bracket (stick-on supplied by Tesla) that allows plate to be added to front.

For those who wanted to see the damage, I've attached images. Luckily it's confined to the bumper edge. Some of the marks up high might buff out. But, the two lower marks are where the paint is gone.

I sent pics and a description to a local Tesla-certified body shop. They said the whole bumper would have to be re-sprayed. Estimate is $1300 to repair, almost entirely labor.

I have to wait a couple days before the police report is ready. Once I get it I should be able to file a claim with the woman's insurance.

View attachment 392517 View attachment 392518 View attachment 392519

Actually, I just had mine replaced at the Tesla body shop in San Jose a little over a week ago (also bumped in the parking lot which punctured the bumper cover, but no video so I had to pay deductible). It was $1300. Difference likely due to high cost of labor for my area. Called on Monday, they replaced it on Thursday. Had the part ready and waiting so I waited while they worked on it.

That's life in CT. Everything is expensive... and then the taxes make it even more expensive.

Those really are some price differences. I just pulled up my quote from Tesla and the bumper replacement with a pre-painted bumper is $432. Happy to share the paperwork if anyone is interested. The higher number from my local place was because they re-applied the ceramic coating and some PPF.

Labor totaled $338.80.
Parts are $5.00 (not a typo.)
Paint is $87.00

Also, since the above seems odd, here is the email text. The estimate was attached in a PDF but I don't have the skills to block out the personal information.

"Hello,

I am sorry to see you were in an accident I hope you are doing okay. I have reviewed the photos and attached an estimate to fix the damages, it is really straight forward you will be needing some repair on the bumper. Our Marietta shop does not have paint capabilities yet so what we would do is get a bumper from the Tesla plant in California and have it painted. After paint the bumper will be shipped to the body shop at which point they will contact you to schedule a time for you to come in. This process can take 2-4 weeks depending on how available parts are, I know this sounds like a long wait but this will drastically cut down on the time that you are without your Tesla.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions once we have your approval we will get parts ordered.

Thanks"

Edit:
Down and dirty picture of my computer screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: T-Will
Most Tesla owners have front plates. Only a few states in the US allow that bizarre state of affairs and there is a whole world out there that requires them too.

I know "a few" is relative but 19 (38%) of US states don't require front license plates. I'll concede that other than a few places in Canada and some 3rd world countries where having any plate at all is optional every other country requires two plates.

But, they should both be lighted if they are both so darn important.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have time stamp issues with their drives/Sentry Mode?

I am recording fine, looks great in the saved clips and recent clips folder but when I look at the time they are all way off and like 9pm instead of all throughout the day.

Is it a drive thing? An internal Tesla cam time thing? It is frustrating when trying to find certain hours of the day.

Does anyone else have time stamp issues with their drives/Sentry Mode?

I am recording fine, looks great in the saved clips and recent clips folder but when I look at the time they are all way off and like 9pm instead of all throughout the day.

Is it a drive thing? An internal Tesla cam time thing? It is frustrating when trying to find certain hours of the day.

timestamps of the files are in GMT. The local time is embedded in the file names.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
I sent pics and a description to a local Tesla-certified body shop. They said the whole bumper would have to be re-sprayed. Estimate is $1300 to repair, almost entirely labor.

Get another estimate. Or two or three. And take the car in person. I was rear-ended just over a year ago while driving a Chevy Volt. The damage looked at least as bad as what you've shown, and the cost to repair it was on the order of $500 at a body shop that's technically in Massachusetts (by about 10 feet).

Granted, that was a repair to a Chevy Volt, not a Tesla; and there are several other important variables, so maybe it really will cost $1300 to get it repaired. Then too, maybe not. Repair estimates often vary widely, and the most expensive places don't always do the best work, either.

From what I understand, this is basically a hit-and-run which is a Federal offense, (leaving the scene of an accident).

Do you have a reference for a hit-and-run being a Federal offense? Most traffic laws are state-level in the US, and my Googling on the subject found lots of references to a hit-and-run being a state-level offense, and none that I found mentioned Federal law; for instance, here's what Wikipedia says about it:

Wikipedia said:
The penalties (and the definition) of hit-and-run vary from state to state in the United States. For example, in Virginia, the crime is a felony if the crash causes death, injury, or damage to attended property in excess of a certain dollar amount; otherwise, it is a misdemeanor. In California the crime can be an infraction, a misdemeanor, or a felony depending on whether there is property damage or bodily injury.

The article provides more examples after that.

I say post it on Twitter and thank elonmusk and tesla in hopes that he replies or retweets to his 23M followers. While having the evidence is fantastic, the real win here is the potential for avoidance when the word gets out to the general public and everyone is just a little bit more cautious around Tesla's!

YES!! I want this info out there so people know to stay away. Seriously this was my number two worry with a Tesla (one was running out of ‘gas’). Jealousy can be so strong

Is there no way to change that?

Probably - but you don't want to. It's the only way to accurately time stamp an event. Otherwise, variables such as driving across time zones, changing daylight savings time, etc - would just confuse things. You may think that those things rarely matter, but consider living on the border of two states in different time zones - while working in one - home is in the other ( shopping, entertainment, superchargers, etc).

Reactions: Need