Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Coming Soon For Tesla Cars With Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about having a way to record the surroundings of your Tesla to catch culprits?

Due to Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot and its multiple cameras, the automaker can provide many upcoming over-the-air updates. Not too long ago, the promised TeslaCam (standard integrated dashcam) feature came online. Now, CEO Elon Musk says a Sentry Mode is in the works.

What is Sentry mode exactly? Well the definition of sentry is a solider that stands guard. So, the feature will use Tesla Autopilot cameras to give owners a 360-degree look at their car while they’re away. In addition, they’ll be able to record footage for use later. Musk tweeted:

Tesla Sentry Mode coming soon for all cars with Enhanced Autopilot https://t.co/x2buQWiABX

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 22, 2019

In the midst of one of Musk’s earlier tweet storms, he asked owners to share ideas for upcoming improvements/updates:

All cameras record in the event of an alarm incident. Publicize this feature so that prospective vandals/thieves know they will be recorded if they mess with Teslas

— Seth Weintraub (@llsethj) November 9, 2018

Generally, despite people’s doubts about many of Musk’s tweeted promises, he has a track record for making these features a reality. However, he didn’t elaborate on details or a timelines related to the upcoming Sentry Mode update.

It’s important to note that, much like the TeslaCam feature, this will only become available on newer Tesla vehicles with Enhanced Autopilot and the automaker’s version 9.0 software update in place. This means that vehicles manufactured prior to August 2017 are ineligible.

Since it’s part of safety & security, all cars with AP2+ hardware will get it

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 22, 2019

Owners can choose to save 10-minute clips, along with the ability to pause and restart recording. However, it seems that if you’re not watching and ready to hit record, the footage will eventually be deleted.

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the idea....No matter how far out of the way I park there is always someone who feels compelled to park as close as possible, even tho there are plenty of other empty spots, RIGHT? Got my first door ding even tho I try hard to be in the north 40. Thanks, Mr. Musk.

I've wondered when they would implement this. They should make it where you can do a continuous recording, motion, or motion/alarm to a USB drive. Continuous recording can be low bit rate until motion is detected then go to high to save space or CPU cycles as needed. Love it.

Coming soon eh? You mean right after the other 100 things Elon said are coming soon? 3 months probably. 6 months definitely? Come on, it's Elon, soon could be tomorrow or never. Anyone got the SDK coming soon since 6 years ago?

All that said, not much use in the Bay Area, where apparently a video of who smashed your window isn't really usable for much other than showing your friends at work. How is Elon doing on the stuff he actually took money for?

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Love the idea....No matter how far out of the way I park there is always someone who feels compelled to park as close as possible, even tho there are plenty of other empty spots, RIGHT? Got my first door ding even tho I try hard to be in the north 40. Thanks, Mr. Musk.
Amen to that!!! Last time i went to dentist, I parked at end of parking lot away from other cars. When I came out, there was a Toyota land cruiser parked as close as possible to me!

I've wondered when they would implement this. They should make it where you can do a continuous recording, motion, or motion/alarm to a USB drive. Continuous recording can be low bit rate until motion is detected then go to high to save space or CPU cycles as needed. Love it.

USB drive is the problem. First thing criminal does is pluck the drive out of the socket.

The data would have to be airlifted out of the car. Maybe as a constant stream or on a per-event basis (something triggering a detector). Probably safest as a constant stream.

Tesla could make a new chargeable feature for the extra upload bandwidth to a cloud drive service, linked to your myTesla account so you can manage your own videos. A lot of people would subscribe to that I bet.

USB drive is the problem. First thing criminal does is pluck the drive out of the socket.

The data would have to be airlifted out of the car. Maybe as a constant stream or on a per-event basis (something triggering a detector). Probably safest as a constant stream.

Tesla could make a new chargeable feature for the extra upload bandwidth to a cloud drive service, linked to your myTesla account so you can manage your own videos. A lot of people would subscribe to that I bet.

or - disconnect the cable from the socket/ put a dummy socket in and hide the usb stick. cloud idea good tho' but my guess less likely to happen until Tesla start offering a premium connectivity package with better speeds as you suggest.