TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode - Cost in miles per night

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Chalks99, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Chalks99

Chalks99 Member

#1 Chalks99, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    In an attempt to stem boredom over Christmas and the New Year I’ve conducted a very basic experiment with Sentry Mode and it’s associated battery consumption.
    Mine is averaging a 13 mile consumption (on at 21.00, off at 08.00) per night and this average seems to be irrespective of number of alerts. (Mainly, thank God, caused by heavy rain)
    Does this seem about right ?
    So, based on this, would it be safe to assume that a daily consumption for Sentry Mode would be near 20 miles per day ?
    Reason for asking is I’m planning a trip away soon which will involve parking the car up for 10 nights so just trying to plan how much charge I need in battery before I park up so that I can make the drive home (Heathrow to Birmingham) without having to have a late night stop to re-juice.
    I’ve been using the car during the day so haven’t been able to do a full 24 hour test.

2. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

#2 NorfolkMustard, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Yeah, that's about right. When sentry mode is active, the car as a whole uses ~250-300w, assuming 250wh/mile that's roughly a mile an hour.

When inactive, the car still uses ~100-150w

• Informative x 2
  3. ZiPRA

ZiPRA Member

Hello, I find this thread very interesting as I have thought of it but never did take the time to do the math.

while being still a bit lame in terms of consumptions in wh/mile or km maybe you guys can help me out in the translation.

I live in Portugal and have an average cost of 0,14 cents (of euro) per kw (hopefully I am not thinking wrong here :)). This means how much euros per 10 hours of active sentry ?

another thing that came across my mind is if I am away for 1 or 2 weeks will the car battery go away ? Any special precautions ?

4. NorfolkMustard

10 hours = ~2.5kWh, roughly 35c

5. vitesse

vitesse Active Member

Wow - in my -re-Sentry Mode car I have a USB-powered dual dashcam installed which runs 24/7 and I lose about 2.5% a day, which for my MS70D is about 230W/h - in total. The car sleeps about 60% of the day (according to Teslafi) if not used (which I think is a bit low tbh). So my setup uses less than 100W. Of course that's 2 cameras vs 8 - and I'd rather have the 8!

6. poolmeds

poolmeds Member

Great thread

anyone had a dash cam installed instead?
    I had one in my Audi rs3 and that records all night on an Sd card, imagine it uses vastly less battery?
    (I’m new to the Tesla’s)

7. tess19

tess19 Member

I thought the usage depends on how often it is activated. It would be different if there is 3 activations at home compared to 300 activations if parked in sainsbury carpark. It flashes light, turn on screen and starts recording etc

8. NorfolkMustard

I think I'd still prefer Sentry Mode though - currently records on 4 cameras with option for 2 more in the future.

• Like x 2