Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode/Dashcam recording USB for AP3/MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly are most people using for a USB these days? Are there certain manufacturers that tend to work better? I'm not looking for an SSD for the moment - just a larger USB stick if possible. What throughput threshold should I be looking at? I've recently been upgraded to AP3 but still using MCU1. Also, where do I source what needs to be done to setup the drive in preparation for use? Thanks!

I just got the AP 3 upgrade recently in my Model X and is using MCU 1. I tried the portable Samsung SSD T5 hard drive but did not work. Formatted to FAT32 and would not recognize the hard drive. I believe it may be due to me having an MCU 1. Will need to try with thumb drive instead.

I just got the AP 3 upgrade recently in my Model X and is using MCU 1. I tried the portable Samsung SSD T5 hard drive but did not work. Formatted to FAT32 and would not recognize the hard drive. I believe it may be due to me having an MCU 1. Will need to try with thumb drive instead.

I went with a 256GB SanDisk Endurance and card reader. Installed fine, works, but can't view the footage. Will try again - I noticed on the video that the block size was set to 64K instead of 32K. I don't know if that made a difference.

Reactions: Shaz
I went with a 256GB SanDisk Endurance and card reader. Installed fine, works, but can't view the footage. Will try again - I noticed on the video that the block size was set to 64K instead of 32K. I don't know if that made a difference.
Thanks Trev, yeah I tried both 64K and 32K no luck. I think it's a limitation in MCU1...maybe anything more than 256 GB. I'll try something else for now.

I'm a new 2017 90D owner....had the same issue. The dashcam option is hardware limited by cars built before August 2017 or so. MCU1 is the culprit. With the MCU2 upgrade available this allows for DashCam and Sentry video and also to view it in the car versus popping out the flash drive and viewing the TeslaCam folder....

The dashcam option is hardware limited [...] MCU1 is the culprit.

Nope... it's actually Autopilot hardware that limits DashCam and Sentry recordings. There are plenty of MCU1 vehicles (with Autopilot 2.5 & 3/FSD) that have DashCam and Sentry recordings, only without the rear view camera feed.

With the MCU2 upgrade available this allows for DashCam and Sentry video and also to view it in the car versus popping out the flash drive and viewing the TeslaCam folder....

This is true. Due to the lackluster hardware inside every MCU1, only MCU2's have the ability to display the in-car Sentry Viewer.

Last edited:
it's actually Autopilot hardware that limits DashCam and Sentry recordings. There are plenty of MCU1 vehicles (with Autopilot 2.5 & 3/FSD) that have DashCam and Sentry recordings, only without the rear view camera feed.

you will find that Dashcam footage on a MCU/1/HW3 is a poor quality. I'm not talking about color or lack there of, but the fact that MCU/1 is so taxed, that you will find major artifacts in the video itself. It's like the MCU/1 can't keep up and frames are dropped, and huge pixelated artifacts are shown. Very common for MCU/1 and HW3 owners.

I have both MCU2/HW3 on my 2017 Model S, and MCU1/HW3 on my 2016 Model X... The artifacts and pixelated video are very apparent, and I'm not the only one who has seen this...

NOT: Writing to the USB is driven off the MCU.

For those of you who are under the MCU1/HW3 combo - what are you using to view the dashcam footage? Is there something you did with specifivally did in formatting your USB drive? Thus far I know it's getting written, but I cannot seem to find a decent viewer that I can use on a Windows machine.

Just use the builtin format tool. View on Windows using Open with > Windows Media Player. Works great.

for those with FSD computer on mcu1, is there an option on the mcu to format your USB media or is that a mcu2 exclusive feature?

Format the same as with MCU2

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
you will find that Dashcam footage on a MCU/1/HW3 is a poor quality. I'm not talking about color or lack there of, but the fact that MCU/1 is so taxed, that you will find major artifacts in the video itself. It's like the MCU/1 can't keep up and frames are dropped, and huge pixelated artifacts are shown. Very common for MCU/1 and HW3 owners.

I have both MCU2/HW3 on my 2017 Model S, and MCU1/HW3 on my 2016 Model X... The artifacts and pixelated video are very apparent, and I'm not the only one who has seen this...

NOT: Writing to the USB is driven off the MCU.
Hi
Could you help me please. I just got HW3 installed, still have MCU1 though (mCU2 is not available yet). How do I view the video.

You wont be able to view any clips recorded on the MCU at all. Any clips stored/recorded on the drive are only viewable externally on a pc or mac. The files are stored of course in the Tesla Folder you created when formatting, Tesla does its thing and deposits the clips according to its folder tree.

For me, MCU1 plus HW3 upgrade started taxing the MCU. Some lag, loading errors, etc. Extra "drain" on the MCU's processing/memory.

Once I enabled Sentry/Dashcam with a USB (Cant recall which one, but it was a USB listed on Tesla's recommended list), the additional load of the USB made the MCU1 almost unusable. Tried rebooting multiple times, no improvement. Ended up disabling dashcam/sentry and removing the USB. Will go MCU2 later this year perhaps

For me, MCU1 plus HW3 upgrade started taxing the MCU. Some lag, loading errors, etc. Extra "drain" on the MCU's processing/memory.

Once I enabled Sentry/Dashcam with a USB (Cant recall which one, but it was a USB listed on Tesla's recommended list), the additional load of the USB made the MCU1 almost unusable. Tried rebooting multiple times, no improvement. Ended up disabling dashcam/sentry and removing the USB. Will go MCU2 later this year perhaps