Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all.
I have an issue with the new sentry feature in my 2017 MX with AP 2.0.
Two updates ago I received the new feature. I formatted a USB drive and made the TeslaCam folder as specified.
The car reports that it is "recording" when sentry mode activated, but the drive has only 1KB files that do not open.
I borrowed a USB drive from friend with M3 (works fine in his vehicle) with the same effect, so clearly not the drive.
I have received an update two weeks ago, but no change in this issue.
Recommendations would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 163
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 135
Either I'm misunderstanding the OP or... My sentry mode records to my USB flash drive when it detects something. Had to pull the USB drive just the other day to have a look at some sentry related events.

OP has AP2, which has Sentry Mode Alert & Alarm modes but does NOT have video recording capabilities.

For reference:
AP1 Vehicles: No Sentry Mode at all
AP2 Vehicles: Sentry Mode Alert & Alarm modes, but NO video recording to USB option.
AP2.5+ Vehicles: Sentry Mode Alert & Alarm modes, with video recording to USB option.

OMG - this has been driving me nuts! First, got a 128GB high endurance card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), with adapter, then learned that I needed to format FAT32.... then kept having 1kb file sizes... then read a ton of pages... now I learned that I don't have AP 2.5 - I thought I did since I have a late 2016 Model X P100DL+ with FSD.... but I guess I just have AP2. Maybe I'll be in line for AP3 sooner than others? I hope so... and that's supposed to happen when? End of summer?

U can’t view files on AP2 only Tesla can now ;):oops:
even tesla cannot.

but I guess I just have AP2. Maybe I'll be in line for AP3 sooner than others? I hope so... and that's supposed to happen when? End of summer?
the problem is no ap2 per se, the problem is rccc cameras that could mostly only produce B&W pictures that Tesla does not want to show for purely optics reason I am sure.

Unless you think hw3 replacement will include all cameras replacement, hw3 will nto bring dashcam/sentry mode video recordign to you (unless they break down under customer complaints earlier and include B&W recording for hw2.0 cars, but sinc I don't see a big wave of complaints, I suspect they won't be doing it since nobody cares.)

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
even tesla cannot.

the problem is no ap2 per se, the problem is rccc cameras that could mostly only produce B&W pictures that Tesla does not want to show for purely optics reason I am sure.

Unless you think hw3 replacement will include all cameras replacement, hw3 will nto bring dashcam/sentry mode video recordign to you (unless they break down under customer complaints earlier and include B&W recording for hw2.0 cars, but sinc I don't see a big wave of complaints, I suspect they won't be doing it since nobody cares.)

I thought I’ve read from you before that the problem is a second core on AP2.5 that 2 does not have? Or am I misremembering that.

I thought I’ve read from you before that the problem is a second core on AP2.5 that 2 does not have? Or am I misremembering that.
well, it's up to Tesla.

Currently the ISP on the ap node a (the only node on hw2) is 90% busy with encoding all cameras footage into h265 with high bitrate for internal buffer for snapshots in case of crash/triggers. They used to encode forward cam into low bitrate h264 for forward only dashcam there even.

When they started to do 3 cams, they switched to low bitrate h265 and moved the encoding of those streams to node B (only on hw2.5) since the ISP on node A was fully taxed I guess (it was already 100% taxed even before dashcam if we look at the specs)

BUT there's nothing stopping them from stopping the high bitrate encoding of a couple of cameras (that's useless to Tesla owners) and encode low bitrate dashcam streams there instead (and perhaps even save this data in the buffer for crashes/snapshots too - better than nothing).

So this "hw2.0 gets no dashcam/sentry mode recording" is 100% deliberate decision by Tesla. Physical capabilities are 100% there to offer B&W encoding even if they don't want to go into the whole color interpolation thing.

Interesting on the cameras..... at least the good news is that the cost of the cameras has got to be incredibly, incredibly low.... even the teardown costs of the very best iphone and google pixel 3 xl cameras are just a few bucks, right? Does the wiring between the camera and the AP3 unit need to be replaced or can it carry a higher resolution signal? I'm guessing signal is signal for the most part. If they had to replace those cameras I just cannot see that part being a big deal? Again, I could be totally wrong of course, but time will tell and we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I use an Owl 4G LTE connected dash cam - it's always connected and uploading video to the cloud, like a Google Nest cam, so even if someone steals it I have video and audio of them stealing it. And it was only $299 when I bought it - if it includes two cameras, a light, screen, and all the 4G LTE components for $299 with profit built into that model, then I'm guessing Tesla could do better with the number of vehicles they have.

Again, time will tell and it'll be interesting to watch, I'll grab the popcorn, and appreciate everyone's input... I just wish that Tesla in the release notes would have said something before I wasted 10 hours of my time ordering things formatting drives, researching articles, etc... they really should have been more clear on this.

Thanks!
Ben

even tesla cannot.

Does the wiring between the camera and the AP3 unit need to be replaced or can it carry a higher resolution signal
signal is the same and even camera sensor is the same (and wiring). it's just color film on the camera that is different.

Tesla just tries to sweep $105k AP2 cars under the rug as not existing, that's why no changelog entries or explanations or such. That's why there's so much confusion around, misleading Elon Musk tweets and so on.

Reactions: Seattle Tom
Just curious - how much are you willing to pay for it? I don't really get the idea that people expect to get every feature going forward, even though they purchased an older product. What other company/product gives you free features in perpetuity even when your product is so old that it can't support the new features? Reading these postings and seeing how upset people get that they didn't get the same features for free as newer buyers - well, if i were Tesla, I would just quit offering updates for free because it upsets so many people (rather than customers viewing updates as a positive, they instead complain endlessly).

It's free! If it works, great. If not, oh well...

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
If recording on Sentry mode is the only limitation for AP 2.0 owners going forward, I'm okay with that. Keep in ming that AP2.0 owners got unlimited lifetime supercharging- New sales don't. For me the unlimited free supercharging is used all the time. The crippled Sentry Mode still gives good protection comparable to what other premium cars enjoy. Recording would be nice but it is not like we got nothing. I'm very thankful that AP 3.0 hardware will be available--NOT orphaned, but just not the favorite child.

Like many folks, I purchased FSD for my 2017 MX with AP2.0. Love the car. But with the new FSD computer Tesla should make us whole. As we were the early owners who took a risk in the company, they should make this right. The alternative is a major discount on a new MX.. which I may consider but the newer MX don’t have the same spec anymore.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
What other company/product gives you free features

Just about every other tech company. Do your phone and computer not get updates?

your product is so old that it can't support the new features

Except it's not so old, apparently it can be done but Tesla chose not to.

Like many folks, I purchased FSD for my 2017 MX with AP2.0. Love the car. But with the new FSD computer Tesla should make us whole. As we were the early owners who took a risk in the company, they should make this right. The alternative is a major discount on a new MX.. which I may consider but the newer MX don’t have the same spec anymore.

As much as I agree and wish Tesla would make us whole with the new FSD computer, I'm not sure their current finances support that dream. Time will tell, fingers crossed :eek: