Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious - how much are you willing to pay for it? I don't really get the idea that people expect to get every feature going forward, even though they purchased an older product. What other company/product gives you free features in perpetuity even when your product is so old that it can't support the new features? Reading these postings and seeing how upset people get that they didn't get the same features for free as newer buyers - well, if i were Tesla, I would just quit offering updates for free because it upsets so many people (rather than customers viewing updates as a positive, they instead complain endlessly).

It's free! If it works, great. If not, oh well...

In general I agree that some Tesla owners feel extra entitled to upgrades that cross into hardware territory. If one gets the car/features s/he paid for, then they are 'square' with Tesla as far as I'm concerned. FSD and even Enhanced AutoPilot functionality vs much-repeated and much-missed timelines seems to me one of the few legitimate complaints where owners may not have gotten what they paid for/were promised. And a few other things like some of the horsepower claims of early Ludicrous cars. A handful of things.

But for the most part, people did get what they paid for...and then some. All the new features via OTA are gravy.

However, I could make a case for no dash cam/sentry mode for AP2 being a legitimate complaint as well. Why? Well, I remember a tweet from Elon where he said it would be available for "AP2+" cars. In the tech world (from which Elon definitely comes), this absolutely means "two point anything and higher" and would cover 2.0 and 2.5 cars. The second thing is what @verygreen pointed out: except for having B&W video, there doesn't seem to be any hardware limitations of actually providing dash cam/sentry mode recording. So I think people are unhappy (myself included) that they aren't getting a feature they perceive is possible just because Tesla decided to not include them because they had older cameras that couldn't do attractive color recording.

I would definitely pay to upgrade the cameras to the newer color ones if Tesla provided an upgrade path. While possible, I think the fact that they are working heads-down to reduce service center visits, I can't really see them wanting a bunch of AP2 people to come into service center to get some cheap camera upgrades.

Perhaps when it is time to roll out the FSD computer, and they do that with mobile service like they are predicting, maybe (maybe!) the ranger will have the option to also update the cameras. Either as part of the upgrade to FSD or perhaps as an optional (additional $) paid update if the owner wants them. Or maybe they will never offer such camera upgrades. I guess we will see.

In the meantime, I think "faux sentry mode" is still useful for "fleet immunity" and I certainly try to use it often to help with that.

Mmm yeah.... gotta love people without skin in the game opining as to how those of us who have been repeatedly screwed should feel and act.

As the owner of an AP2.0 car who was lied to from the start (see late 2016 video, statements made thereafter, and the bait and switch associated with 90D/100D cars in the Spring of 2017), I very much find the decision to limit Sentry Mode to be unacceptable.

It would be nice to have the functionality at some point before another year passes, which is about how long Tesla has told me it will be before a v3 board retrofit is available for my car. Yes, I made the poor decision to invest in FSD now almost 2.5 years ago.

I also recall when ordering the first Model S (late 2014) the statement from Elon that stop sign reaction was coming.

Then, as with the misleading statements associated with Sentry Mode, no clarification was made that you’d essentially have to buy a new car to get the features. In fact, quite the converse was stated repeatedly - that the cars had all the hardware they’d need (except for the v3 board) and that software updates would be Our Salvation.

So..... Tesla has ground to make up to make existing owners whole. Unfortunately, the pattern to date is not encouraging.

I’ve put plans to purchase a 3rd Model S on hold, and regret purchasing the 2nd one.

Happily, in about 3 years, all of this nonsense should be resolved. Plus we’ll finally have the category-killer heavy duty pickup truck that should send fear into the hearts of Ford stealership owners everywhere.

My advice to anyone in the meantime is to spend as little as possible to get into the Tesla game. Unless of course you actually believe that cars are appreciating assets.

In which case I hope you brought enough for everybody.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
In general I agree that some Tesla owners feel extra entitled to upgrades that cross into hardware territory. If one gets the car/features s/he paid for, then they are 'square' with Tesla as far as I'm concerned. FSD and even Enhanced AutoPilot functionality vs much-repeated and much-missed timelines seems to me one of the few legitimate complaints where owners may not have gotten what they paid for/were promised. And a few other things like some of the horsepower claims of early Ludicrous cars. A handful of things.

But for the most part, people did get what they paid for...and then some. All the new features via OTA are gravy.

However, I could make a case for no dash cam/sentry mode for AP2 being a legitimate complaint as well. Why? Well, I remember a tweet from Elon where he said it would be available for "AP2+" cars. In the tech world (from which Elon definitely comes), this absolutely means "two point anything and higher" and would cover 2.0 and 2.5 cars. The second thing is what @verygreen pointed out: except for having B&W video, there doesn't seem to be any hardware limitations of actually providing dash cam/sentry mode recording. So I think people are unhappy (myself included) that they aren't getting a feature they perceive is possible just because Tesla decided to not include them because they had older cameras that couldn't do attractive color recording.

I would definitely pay to upgrade the cameras to the newer color ones if Tesla provided an upgrade path. While possible, I think the fact that they are working heads-down to reduce service center visits, I can't really see them wanting a bunch of AP2 people to come into service center to get some cheap camera upgrades.

Perhaps when it is time to roll out the FSD computer, and they do that with mobile service like they are predicting, maybe (maybe!) the ranger will have the option to also update the cameras. Either as part of the upgrade to FSD or perhaps as an optional (additional $) paid update if the owner wants them. Or maybe they will never offer such camera upgrades. I guess we will see.

In the meantime, I think "faux sentry mode" is still useful for "fleet immunity" and I certainly try to use it often to help with that.
When it's because of hardware I could understand like color cameras and so on BUT OTA is not GRAVY it was a HUGE selling point...

Mmm yeah.... gotta love people without skin in the game opining as to how those of us who have been repeatedly screwed should feel and act.

As the owner of an AP2.0 car who was lied to from the start (see late 2016 video, statements made thereafter, and the bait and switch associated with 90D/100D cars in the Spring of 2017), I very much find the decision to limit Sentry Mode to be unacceptable.

It would be nice to have the functionality at some point before another year passes, which is about how long Tesla has told me it will be before a v3 board retrofit is available for my car. Yes, I made the poor decision to invest in FSD now almost 2.5 years ago.

I also recall when ordering the first Model S (late 2014) the statement from Elon that stop sign reaction was coming.

Then, as with the misleading statements associated with Sentry Mode, no clarification was made that you’d essentially have to buy a new car to get the features. In fact, quite the converse was stated repeatedly - that the cars had all the hardware they’d need (except for the v3 board) and that software updates would be Our Salvation.

So..... Tesla has ground to make up to make existing owners whole. Unfortunately, the pattern to date is not encouraging.

I’ve put plans to purchase a 3rd Model S on hold, and regret purchasing the 2nd one.

Happily, in about 3 years, all of this nonsense should be resolved. Plus we’ll finally have the category-killer heavy duty pickup truck that should send fear into the hearts of Ford stealership owners everywhere.

My advice to anyone in the meantime is to spend as little as possible to get into the Tesla game. Unless of course you actually believe that cars are appreciating assets.

In which case I hope you brought enough for everybody.
For now Tesla is still playing in his own ballpark BUT the German carmakers are coming with EV and many will switch SC network or not

For now Tesla is still playing in his own ballpark BUT the German carmakers are coming with EV and many will switch SC network or not

The longer they wait, the deeper their hole from which to dig out. See link for how the Model 3 stacks up to German engineering at present:

Tesla Model 3 Blows Away German Competition — CarBuzz

As an aside, the new BMW CEO doesn’t seem to be a whole lot better than the last one when it comes to getting the EV message, practically speaking.

Plus, without any sort of reasonable or scalable charging infrastructure and none likely for years yet at least in North America, every manufacturer not named Tesla is merely squabbling over 2nd place.

Reactions: jboy210
Like any first mover with new technology - Tesla has an advantage because their products were on the market first - and Tesla has done a pretty good job in taking advantage of that to quickly expand sales with the Model 3.

But there's a limited window of opportunity for Tesla. Tesla has been selling long range EVs for over 10 years. While the initial long range EVs from the other manufacturers (Bolt, Leaf) may not be competitive now, it won't take the other manufacturers 10 years to catch up - they will eventually figure out how to produce EVs with comparable features and pricing - and they'll have the advantage of learning from Tesla's successes and failure.

One interesting area where the other manufacturers may have difficulty competing is with their use of dealers vs. Tesla's direct sales/service approach. While Tesla is struggling now in the transition to a more efficient customer sales/service/support model - the other manufacturers are stuck with their dealerships - which will always be more expensive.

Like any first mover with new technology - Tesla has an advantage because their products were on the market first - and Tesla has done a pretty good job in taking advantage of that to quickly expand sales with the Model 3.

But there's a limited window of opportunity for Tesla. Tesla has been selling long range EVs for over 10 years. While the initial long range EVs from the other manufacturers (Bolt, Leaf) may not be competitive now, it won't take the other manufacturers 10 years to catch up - they will eventually figure out how to produce EVs with comparable features and pricing - and they'll have the advantage of learning from Tesla's successes and failure.

One interesting area where the other manufacturers may have difficulty competing is with their use of dealers vs. Tesla's direct sales/service approach. While Tesla is struggling now in the transition to a more efficient customer sales/service/support model - the other manufacturers are stuck with their dealerships - which will always be more expensive.

It think the dealership model for non-Tesla companies is much more of a flaw than being expensive. In fact, can the dealership model even survive in the era of low maintenance EVs?

Dealerships make most of their profit from repair and maintenance work. If EVs take away that income stream, how do dealerships survive? And without a service department how is a BMW, Mercrdes, Ford, or Chevy dealership different than CarMax or Carvana, or even Joe's used cars.

And without dealerships how will car manufactures get their cars to consumers. And how will these changes effect the manufacture's numbers since today they count as a sale a car shipped to a dealer.

For both my x and 3 I have issues with the USB drive getting corrupted every 3-4 weeks. I've tried a few different devices, anyone have any recs? I get the grey x icon and have to go back and erase the drive and reformat to FAT32.

I'm using mac to do that procedure through disk utility. Could that be the source of the issue? My current drive is a 64gb Samsung, the prior ones I tried were sandisks.

It doesn't depend on that. Either your AP hardware supports recording with MCU1 or it doesn't support recording with MCU2. However, the MCU upgrade has also been reported to come with AP hardware upgrades, in which case the upgrade would enable camera reporting, but it's the new AP hardware that enables it, not the new MCU.
and that's why I was asking the build month, to determine what AP version they had. :rolleyes:

and that's why I was asking the build month, to determine what AP version they had. :rolleyes:
If the build month is July, the vehicle may or may not have HW2.5, so knowing the month wouldn't guarantee the AP version.
If a vehicle has HW2.5, cameras already record to USB; MCU2 upgrade won't change that.
If a vehicle has HW2.0, cameras don't already record to USB, and whether the MCU2 upgrade will change that is not dependent on the build month, but instead on whether or not AP HW is also going to be upgraded.
If a 2017 MX won't currently record to USB, and the question is wether an MCU upgrade will enable that, the build month is implicitly July or earlier, but we already know the vehicle has HW2.0 because it won't record to USB (otherwise this wouldn't need to be "enabled" to begin with).
If upgrading MCU2 requires upgrading HW2.0, then build month isn't relevant, because it is the HW2.5/HW3.0 installation that makes the cameras record to USB, and that is part of the MCU2 upgrade, so the answer is yes, it will be "enabled."
If upgrading MCU2 does NOT require upgrading HW2.0, then build month isn't relevant because the answer is cameras recording to USB will only work after upgrade if cameras recording to USB worked before upgrade.
The only scenario I can come up with where the build month could become relevant is a scenario where the MX can already record to USB and the owner just doesn't know it, but the question implies that the owner already knows it can't.

If the build month is July, the vehicle may or may not have HW2.5, so knowing the month wouldn't guarantee the AP version.
If a vehicle has HW2.5, cameras already record to USB; MCU2 upgrade won't change that.
If a vehicle has HW2.0, cameras don't already record to USB, and whether the MCU2 upgrade will change that is not dependent on the build month, but instead on whether or not AP HW is also going to be upgraded.
If a 2017 MX won't currently record to USB, and the question is wether an MCU upgrade will enable that, the build month is implicitly July or earlier, but we already know the vehicle has HW2.0 because it won't record to USB (otherwise this wouldn't need to be "enabled" to begin with).
If upgrading MCU2 requires upgrading HW2.0, then build month isn't relevant, because it is the HW2.5/HW3.0 installation that makes the cameras record to USB, and that is part of the MCU2 upgrade, so the answer is yes, it will be "enabled."
If upgrading MCU2 does NOT require upgrading HW2.0, then build month isn't relevant because the answer is cameras recording to USB will only work after upgrade if cameras recording to USB worked before upgrade.
The only scenario I can come up with where the build month could become relevant is a scenario where the MX can already record to USB and the owner just doesn't know it, but the question implies that the owner already knows it can't.
I appreciate your answer, but you're spending WAY too much time on arguing the validity of my question ... I was just trying to help @driverx123. ;)

I appreciate your answer, but you're spending WAY too much time on arguing the validity of my question ... I was just trying to help @driverx123. ;)
I think we both were, and I think we just went about it differently. You asked a question that didn't seem relevant to me because my answer would have been a wall of text. Probably two completely different schools of thought on "support." Like you're taking the "is it plugged in?" route and I'm taking the "read this excerpt from the manual" route.

Reactions: ARMARM