Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode doubling my energy consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I've been testing sentry mode on my MY SR and I've noticed huge power consumption.
My work commute is around 12k return and I normally charge around 2kWh per day.
But with sentry mode on while I'm at work this doubles to about 5kWh. That's an extra 3kWh per day (!?!).

That means that sentry mode increases my carbon footprint by 2kg of CO2 per day, or 500kg per year.
That seems crazy. I'm trying to lower my carbon footprint and sentry mode is just burning electricity. Is there something wrong or is this normal?
What can I do? Maybe I should wire in my own dashcams?

Unfortunately I don't have secure parking at work.

Unfortunately Sentry mode was an afterthought by Tesla so you have the full computer running the whole time to process and record.
Maybe with HW4 they might have a low-power mode or a separate sentry chip.

The simple question is do you really need sentry mode on at work.

The simple question is do you really need sentry mode on at work.
Yes I do. Hence this thread. :)
Unfortunately Sentry mode was an afterthought by Tesla so you have the full computer running the whole time to process and record.
Maybe with HW4 they might have a low-power mode or a separate sentry chip.
I'd buy that in 2019 when it was released, but that's three and a half years ago now.
Surely Tesla is capable of finding a solution that doesn't involve burning 250W?

Yes it's unfortunate with the amount of power that it can consume but if you feel that it's needed then just need to factor in the cost for your peace of mind whilst parked at work. It would be good if there was a 'fake' sentry mode that flashed the lights to act as a deterrent and not consume as much power. I almost never check the reported sentry events.

I rarely use sentry mode - pretty much only if I have to park somewhere sketchy. The car doesn't sleep when it's in use, and 99% of the time it just throws up hours of junk footage.

I think a lot of new owners go overboard using it everywhere outside home. The reality is that you've gone your whole motoring life without such a feature.

Also the new Model Y comes with the new AMD cpu which burns more power than the old Intel atom cpus, hence there was a decrease in range when they introduced the AMD cpus to the Model 3.

But yeah, sentry burns through the power, hence if you're going to park somewhere for a few days like the airport, make sure you're plugged in.

You are running all the cameras and ultrasonic sensors afterall.

I used sentry a bit in the first 6 months of ownership. It is, as you’ve found @positiv, a complete power-hog. It occasionally captured amusing footage of people checking out the car, but mostly false alarms.

After a while you become less precious about the car (first kerb rash helps a lot) and use sentry a lot less. I only use it now in places where I am genuinely concerned the car could be damaged. Which is not often.

I rarely use sentry mode - pretty much only if I have to park somewhere sketchy. The car doesn't sleep when it's in use, and 99% of the time it just throws up hours of junk footage.

I think a lot of new owners go overboard using it everywhere outside home. The reality is that you've gone your whole motoring life without such a feature.

I used sentry a bit in the first 6 months of ownership. It is, as you’ve found @positiv, a complete power-hog. It occasionally captured amusing footage of people checking out the car, but mostly false alarms.

After a while you become less precious about the car (first kerb rash helps a lot) and use sentry a lot less. I only use it now in places where I am genuinely concerned the car could be damaged. Which is not often.
I think Sentry Mode is more of a curious novelty than anything else. Dashcam on the other hand is quite nifty.