Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: Exclude Home

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
I've just set Sentry Mode to exclude my home location only. The phone app still says Sentry Mode is active though.

Is this normal or does my car not know it's at my home address?

I registered my exact address on Google Maps about 3 months ago and got an email confirmation confirming the location was updated. If it's not normal, perhaps I need to wait for the Tesla maps to update? My address was shown just a few doors down the street before though so not sure how large the home radius is?

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
If you haven't moved since setting home location only, then yes, its normal.

It probably (unless 'home' is not accurate) just thinks that you have intentionally enabled sentry and isn't going to fight you. I suspect it just checks when you drive into the home geofence and sets accordingly. If it doesn't work on next drive, then go checking the accuracy of 'home'.

Medved_77

Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
If you haven't moved since setting home location only, then yes, its normal.

It probably (unless 'home' is not accurate) just thinks that you have intentionally enabled sentry and isn't going to fight you. I suspect it just checks when you drive into the home geofence and sets accordingly. If it doesn't work on next drive, then go checking the accuracy of 'home'.
Thanks, so just to confirm, you have Sentry off at home and the app shows Sentry Mode not enabled?

I'll take the car out tomorrow, it's already plugged in and chucking it down.

Thanks for your help.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Have you set your home location in the Cars Satnav? That is the "home" it refers to.
You did not actually mention that you have done that

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel

Medved_77

Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Have you set your home location in the Cars Satnav? That is the "home" it refers to.
You did not actually mention that you have done that
Yes, that's been done. Suspect I just need to leave the geofence and return. Will confirm later today.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
I had the same problem. Address didn't exist on Google Maps, and until it did the car didn't know where it was either, so I couldn't stop Sentry from being on at home without disabling it entirely.

As said above, if this is a recent change and you haven't left and come back, then Sentry won't just suddenly turn off, you will need to leave the "Home" area and come back for it to realise you've entered the "Home" geofence.

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77

Medved_77

Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Just to update with a resolution:

As @VanillaAir_UK suggested I needed to leave the geofenced 'home' area and return. Sentry mode now shows as off in the application when parked at home.

upload_2020-10-20_16-49-35.png

Car was still at home until about 11.30 so was online as sentry mode was active.
Short drive thereafter, car remained online between drives as was away from home and sentry active.
Car was online for a bit after returning home then went to sleep until just now when I woke it with the app.

Happy with that, should save me some consumption, just crossing my fingers that there's no ill effects on the ev.energy app now that the car isn't always online.

Reactions: Durzel

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC