Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: Exclude Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
I've just set Sentry Mode to exclude my home location only. The phone app still says Sentry Mode is active though.

Is this normal or does my car not know it's at my home address?

I registered my exact address on Google Maps about 3 months ago and got an email confirmation confirming the location was updated. If it's not normal, perhaps I need to wait for the Tesla maps to update? My address was shown just a few doors down the street before though so not sure how large the home radius is?

If you haven't moved since setting home location only, then yes, its normal.

It probably (unless 'home' is not accurate) just thinks that you have intentionally enabled sentry and isn't going to fight you. I suspect it just checks when you drive into the home geofence and sets accordingly. If it doesn't work on next drive, then go checking the accuracy of 'home'.

If you haven't moved since setting home location only, then yes, its normal.

It probably (unless 'home' is not accurate) just thinks that you have intentionally enabled sentry and isn't going to fight you. I suspect it just checks when you drive into the home geofence and sets accordingly. If it doesn't work on next drive, then go checking the accuracy of 'home'.
Thanks, so just to confirm, you have Sentry off at home and the app shows Sentry Mode not enabled?

I'll take the car out tomorrow, it's already plugged in and chucking it down.

Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem. Address didn't exist on Google Maps, and until it did the car didn't know where it was either, so I couldn't stop Sentry from being on at home without disabling it entirely.

As said above, if this is a recent change and you haven't left and come back, then Sentry won't just suddenly turn off, you will need to leave the "Home" area and come back for it to realise you've entered the "Home" geofence.

Just to update with a resolution:

As @VanillaAir_UK suggested I needed to leave the geofenced 'home' area and return. Sentry mode now shows as off in the application when parked at home.

upload_2020-10-20_16-49-35.png

Car was still at home until about 11.30 so was online as sentry mode was active.
Short drive thereafter, car remained online between drives as was away from home and sentry active.
Car was online for a bit after returning home then went to sleep until just now when I woke it with the app.

Happy with that, should save me some consumption, just crossing my fingers that there's no ill effects on the ev.energy app now that the car isn't always online.

Reactions: Durzel
I collected an MY a couple of weeks ago to replace the M3LR that I have owned for nearly 3 years.
During the 3 years, to the best of my recollection Sentry mode has worked exactly as it should.
Ever since I got the MY I am unable to reliably get it to turn off when i am at home.
I have exclude home enabled but 90% of the time it remains on when I am at home.

I have tried a double button reboot.
I have tried removing home and re entering it
I have made my nextdoor neighbor my work address and enabled exclude work
I have made my opposite neighbour a favourite and enabled exclude favourites

but whatever I do almost always sentry remains on when I am at home.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully received.
If I can't sort it out I might raise a service request but since the GPS seems to be working fine and always shows my car exactly where it is supposed to be within inches there does not seem to be any sort of hardware issue.

I know I can turn it off manually but then I would not remember to turn it on when I am out
Since I am still on Octopus Go at 5p off peak this will only be costing me the equivalent of £65 a year. but would be over £400 probably if I was on the new price cap!

When you put in your home location, do you enter the address or save the current location? I had a problem where the car thought my address was y Acacia Avenue when I really live at X Acacia avenue. when I looked on Google Maps, the numbers in my street were all completely wrong. So perhaps your neighbours' address is not necessarily the next one up.

Mine will enable sentry mode if I move it a car length down the drive and not plugged in. If I put it back in it’s “home” location and plugged in it won’t activate sentry. I don’t mind that, would rather it was on when I didn’t need it than off when I did.

When you put in your home location, do you enter the address or save the current location? I had a problem where the car thought my address was y Acacia Avenue when I really live at X Acacia avenue. when I looked on Google Maps, the numbers in my street were all completely wrong. So perhaps your neighbours' address is not necessarily the next one up.
I entered it. Is there an option to save current location?
When i go on location in the app it gives the location as my address or occasionally as the neighbours so it knows where i am

Does anybody know how to stop Sentry Mode from flashing the headlights when triggered?

My neighbour opposite complained during stormy weather last Winter (quite rightly) so I turned it off...

But stopping it flashing would mean I could use it again.

Does anybody know how to stop Sentry Mode from flashing the headlights when triggered?

My neighbour opposite complained (quite rightly) so I turned it off...

But stopping it flashing would mean I could use it again.
I don’t think you can. Some sort of legal requirement to let people know they are being recorded if I remember rightly. That said, don’t think it’s a UK requirement as my ring camera doesn’t flash it beep….

I don’t think you can. Some sort of legal requirement to let people know they are being recorded if I remember rightly. That said, don’t think it’s a UK requirement as my ring camera doesn’t flash it beep….

That's a shame, my Sentry Mode car headlights flash straight onto my neighbours house bedroom. Wakes her up thinking it's lightning.

I found 75 Sentry Mode recordings in one night, which is when she complained. Her bedroom must've looked like a nightclub strobe all night...

On the recordings it appeared to be triggered by her House Alarm box, two blue alternating lights moving left to right.

Like a clash of Technology Wars. "You lookin at me..." kind of thing....

• Funny
Reactions: navt