Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode Exclude Home....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I did quite a lot of research here before posting... here is the issue with my wife's Raven 2019 MX LR:
- I always followed the following rule: never have anything in the car that has your home address info... including always storing your home address in Nav as the closest large intersection or an address that is a few blocks away. This is for a simple reason that if my car gets stolen, a person will not be able to open my garage by just pulling onto my driveway.
- lately I noticed that MX battery drains a lot more than usual and realized that Sentry mode have been activating on it own
- the issue I am having, is how to exclude the location inside the garage and not to have Sentry Mode activated there... while not having my immediate home address saved in Nav?
- also, is that possible to differentiate location inside the garage from the one just outside the garage on my driveway? That is if I leave the car outside and want to have Sentry mode On...
- this was not an issue before a few weeks ago so something may be caused by the latest software update.

Thank you

That is good security practice... I don't think Sentry is very good this way. You seem to need to turn it on and off manually in this case. Which kind of makes sense, unless the car knows the locations to enable/disable, you will have to manually override the sentry, for both the unknown home location and for the in/out of garage case.

You could set your home address as "work" and then "Exclude Work" from the Sentry menu. I know you are still storing your home address in there but you may outsmart the dumb criminal who sees an empty address for home and doesn't think that your work address is worth driving to.

You could also set up a bunch of favorites if you haven't already and exclude those from Sentry. You could set a ton of addresses here that you are not likely to visit and also fool the criminal. No way for them to easily identify your house vs other random person. This approach wouldn't work though if you have legit favorites already set that you want to use Sentry at.

Reactions: NanaimoMY and Ronbo
Hi all,
I did quite a lot of research here before posting... here is the issue with my wife's Raven 2019 MX LR:
- I always followed the following rule: never have anything in the car that has your home address info... including always storing your home address in Nav as the closest large intersection or an address that is a few blocks away. This is for a simple reason that if my car gets stolen, a person will not be able to open my garage by just pulling onto my driveway.
- lately I noticed that MX battery drains a lot more than usual and realized that Sentry mode have been activating on it own
- the issue I am having, is how to exclude the location inside the garage and not to have Sentry Mode activated there... while not having my immediate home address saved in Nav?
- also, is that possible to differentiate location inside the garage from the one just outside the garage on my driveway? That is if I leave the car outside and want to have Sentry mode On...
- this was not an issue before a few weeks ago so something may be caused by the latest software update.

Thank you
Where do you keep your vehicle registration card? Most (if not all) states require it kept in the car, and most (if not all) states will print your address on that registration.

Another thing to consider, Teslas are much harder to steal than most other cars. Obviously, there are plenty of examples of people stealing them, but the actual risk is something to weight in here compared to the benefits. Especially with Sentry Mode now storing backup copies of videos in the MCU, it makes a Tesla far less interesting to steal.

There, fixed that for you. ;) Smartest thing would be to carry it with you, instead of leaving it. But it's certainly easier to leave it in the car!
LOL, to each his own, I guess... For a car already hard to steal, I'm really not worried about this scenario.

Other than the cars (which are locked) I don't keep expensive things in my garage. I'd be far more annoyed by the insurance deductible (and the loss of my car) than the additional loss of the lawn mower.

Also, while garage break-ins are common, the scenario described here is really an edge case. Rather, the (by leaps and bounds) most common garage break-in method is by jimmying the emergency release from outside. Number 2, is crooks using a remote from a car parked in the driveway/street.

Where do you keep your vehicle registration card? Most (if not all) states require it kept in the car, and most (if not all) states will print your address on that registration.

Another thing to consider, Teslas are much harder to steal than most other cars. Obviously, there are plenty of examples of people stealing them, but the actual risk is something to weight in here compared to the benefits. Especially with Sentry Mode now storing backup copies of videos in the MCU, it makes a Tesla far less interesting to steal.
Colorado gives you two registration cards. One has your address and one doesn’t. The second is for your car.

Reactions: Tezzie
All, just trying to see if there is any changes in Tesla software in reference to the issue I brought up in my original post.
Anyone has any suggestions on how to exclude home location from sentry mode without storing home location in the Nav.
Thanks
No. No change. But there are ways to accomplish what you want, if you are willing to put in some effort:

The home automation program HomeAssistant can interface with a Tesla and turn Sentry mode on and off based on any number of factors, including whether you are at home, or any other location, for that matter. HomeAssistant is free software and can run on a cheap Raspberry Pi computer. There is, of course, a bit of learning curve, but it will do much, much more than just control Sentry mode.

It might be possible to use Tasker on an Andriod phone to interface with the Tesla app and control sentry mode based on your location. I haven't tried that so cannot say for sure. But it would be simpler than setting up HomeAssistant, perhaps. Maybe there's something similar for iPhone.

If you understand computer programming, you could write a simple program that uses the Tesla API to control Sentry mode directly based on whatever criteria you wish.

Tesla has patched the known exploits and you can always use “Pin to drive” which makes it virtually impossible to steal the car.

Also: ”Even if a thief can get around that, the owner can track the car through the Tesla app. They could disable tracking in settings, but Tesla pushed an update last year to require entering your Tesla account password in order to disable tracking, making it a lot tougher to steal a Tesla vehicle”

And of course if they tow it you can track it.

Tesla has patched the known exploits and you can always use “Pin to drive” which makes it virtually impossible to steal the car.

Also: ”Even if a thief can get around that, the owner can track the car through the Tesla app. They could disable tracking in settings, but Tesla pushed an update last year to require entering your Tesla account password in order to disable tracking, making it a lot tougher to steal a Tesla vehicle”

And of course if they tow it you can track it.
The batteries can be easily disconnected, which makes location tracking a little tricky.

People who break windows on cars to gain entry would hardly be dissuaded by the frunk latch.
True, no perfect solution. But both will setoff the car alarm and the app will notify you. If the PIN was used they will still have to tow the car - with the brakes locked. It just depends on each person's level of paranoia, which of course is impacted by where you park. o_O

True, no perfect solution. But both will setoff the car alarm and the app will notify you. If the PIN was used they will still have to tow the car - with the brakes locked. It just depends on each person's level of paranoia, which of course is impacted by where you park. o_O
Thank u all for replies… I decided to just keep one key in the garage to prevent auto locking ant sentry mode turning on.
I am pretty sure it will reduce transponder’s battery life but I am willing to change it more often

Somehow in my M3 I did this.
I have a house near the community entrance as Home. But my house is more than .5 miles from there. Its a big community. And I successfully have Sentry excluded in my garage as is WAL, at home. I did it in 2018. Still works today.

But for the life of me, I cannot duplicate this in my 2022 MX.