Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode False Alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it technically really related to noise level or more to different ultrasonic echo?
AFAIK the incar sensors are based on ultrasonic tech (like bats using to detect obstacles) so should react on different echos (like something being moved inside the car) not on noise level.

Note, there is a difference between sentry event being detected and the alarm being activated.

Sentry mode will activate just because someone loiters near your car. Alarm is only triggered from very loud noises.

Yes, hope people are clear on this. Alarm state sets off your headlights (flashing), horn (repeated beeping), loud music inside your car.

Alert is just an indication that someone or something such as a vehicle or animal is passing by (someone posted of a bear checking out their car while in a park). You probably want the car to show this as an alert as it could, as we've seen, be a person passing by but dragging a key along side your car scratching it. Could also be a person peering in your car looking for goodies without even touching the car.

@Accentcreate I did read your post. Some people sometimes confuse a regular sentry event with an alarm and I was just confirming this didn't apply here, which is why I was asking you to clarify. Many people will look at the first few video clips of their captured saved clips and think nothing triggered the event when the trigger shows up at the very last minute of the 10 minute recording. You can see your lights flash when sentry mode detects something.
"If I don't have a USB in I just get constant false alarms."
Yes, real, loud alarms and blaring music. Tesla tell me it's an issue they are looking into. No fix yet.

I just got a notification on my phone that “Sentry mode has triggered the alarm state” but my car was completely fine.

This is somewhat concerning because it dilutes the sense of security. Although I suppose false positives are better than false negatives.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I just experienced this as a the garbage removal service was dragging the bins through the parking lot. It’s quite a rumble! Only triggering four short beeps and a notification.