Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode false alarms from earthquakes.

flynsqrl

Mar 19, 2021
Japan
I want to use Sentry mode at home. I’d rather just use the recording feature of sentry mode and disable the blaring alarm if I could, but it doesn’t seem like that’s possible. So my questions are as follows. Now, in 2021, does sentry alarm still play the loud classical music when it’s triggered? Or does it just honk the horn like a normal car alarm? Also, I live in a very earthquake prone country. When we have earthquakes, I never generally never hear car alarms going off, but Tesla’s are so rare here, I’m not sure what it’s going to do. Does anyone have experience with the alarm going off due to an earthquake? To clarify, I’m not talking about when the lights flash and it starts recording videos, I mean the actual alarm with the honking or loud music.

Stanwood Steve

2018 Performance Model 3
Mar 30, 2019
Stanwood, WA
I've only had my alarm go off once - it was on the 4th of July when someone in the neighborhood set off one of the "illegal" explosive type devices (M80 type). Sentry Mode doesn't activate the loud music and flashing lights thing - just the alarm, as far as I know. I was able to clear the "alarm" from my phone when it did go off that once. Although I don't have any direct experience with the alarm being set during an earthquake, I wouldn't be surprised if a "significant" one activates the alarm since the explosive device and resultant shock wave, activated mine.

flynsqrl

Mar 19, 2021
Japan
@Stanwood Steve Thanks for that! I just want to keep the car protected, but don’t want to be the guy who wakes up all his neighbors at 2AM when the next earthquake happens. It sounds like it likely could trigger. Maybe if sentry mode is on in the daytime and we have an earthquake, I can see what happens then.

chewychiu

Jan 13, 2021
Long Island, NY
Not an earthquake but last week, I was out there detailing my car and I guess the rotatory polisher vibrated enough to set off the alarm. It was an actual honking alarm. I used to app and selected unlock door to stop it. Hope this helps.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
Sentry Mode doesn’t detect motion of the car, so I wouldn’t expect it to trigger for a tremor. If you have the optional tilt/intrusion security system, that does react to motion.

flynsqrl

Mar 19, 2021
Japan
Thanks for they replies. From what I can gather it sounds like the loud music probably doesn't play, just a standard honking type of alarm.

Last edited:

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
You might be better served posting your question in the Community section for Asia/Pacific. Here a link specifically for Japan. Might already be a thread or comments about it there.

We live in the earthquake active SF Bay area here in Calif and have felt quakes occasionally since owning our cars but nothing bigger than a 4M in the general vicinity. No alarms set off. Someone from the Ridgecrest area in California might be able to say if they see this. They’ve had much stronger ones the past year or so since Sentry Mode was introduced.

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC