Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode false alarms from earthquakes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to use Sentry mode at home. I’d rather just use the recording feature of sentry mode and disable the blaring alarm if I could, but it doesn’t seem like that’s possible. So my questions are as follows. Now, in 2021, does sentry alarm still play the loud classical music when it’s triggered? Or does it just honk the horn like a normal car alarm? Also, I live in a very earthquake prone country. When we have earthquakes, I never generally never hear car alarms going off, but Tesla’s are so rare here, I’m not sure what it’s going to do. Does anyone have experience with the alarm going off due to an earthquake? To clarify, I’m not talking about when the lights flash and it starts recording videos, I mean the actual alarm with the honking or loud music.

I've only had my alarm go off once - it was on the 4th of July when someone in the neighborhood set off one of the "illegal" explosive type devices (M80 type). Sentry Mode doesn't activate the loud music and flashing lights thing - just the alarm, as far as I know. I was able to clear the "alarm" from my phone when it did go off that once. Although I don't have any direct experience with the alarm being set during an earthquake, I wouldn't be surprised if a "significant" one activates the alarm since the explosive device and resultant shock wave, activated mine.

@Stanwood Steve Thanks for that! I just want to keep the car protected, but don’t want to be the guy who wakes up all his neighbors at 2AM when the next earthquake happens. It sounds like it likely could trigger. Maybe if sentry mode is on in the daytime and we have an earthquake, I can see what happens then.

You might be better served posting your question in the Community section for Asia/Pacific. Here a link specifically for Japan. Might already be a thread or comments about it there.

We live in the earthquake active SF Bay area here in Calif and have felt quakes occasionally since owning our cars but nothing bigger than a 4M in the general vicinity. No alarms set off. Someone from the Ridgecrest area in California might be able to say if they see this. They’ve had much stronger ones the past year or so since Sentry Mode was introduced.

Last edited:
I want to use Sentry mode at home. I’d rather just use the recording feature of sentry mode and disable the blaring alarm if I could, but it doesn’t seem like that’s possible. So my questions are as follows. Now, in 2021, does sentry alarm still play the loud classical music when it’s triggered? Or does it just honk the horn like a normal car alarm? Also, I live in a very earthquake prone country. When we have earthquakes, I never generally never hear car alarms going off, but Tesla’s are so rare here, I’m not sure what it’s going to do. Does anyone have experience with the alarm going off due to an earthquake? To clarify, I’m not talking about when the lights flash and it starts recording videos, I mean the actual alarm with the honking or loud music.

Sentry Mode doesn’t detect motion of the car, so I wouldn’t expect it to trigger for a tremor. If you have the optional tilt/intrusion security system, that does react to motion.

Interesting topic (for those of us in earthquake areas--I live in California). Some observations:
  • As far as I know, there is no way to use Sentry Mode without also having the Security Alarm setting turned on.
  • As you probably know, Sentry Mode does four things: (1) monitors the surroundings with the car's sensors and cameras (Stage 1); (2) issues warnings using the car's headlights and turn signals (Stage 2); (3) sets off the alarm (Stage 3); and (4) messages the owner/driver of a security problem via the Tesla App (also Stage 3).
  • EVRider-FL makes a good point: The basic security system (that comes on North American cars) sounds the alarm when an otherwise locked door/lift-gate is opened and the key/fob is not present, but not due solely to motion of the car. So an alarm of a Tesla car with just the basic security system should not be triggered in an earthquake, if I understand things correctly.
  • In order to have that feature (motion detection) North American drivers must purchase the optional Enhanced Anti-Theft System ($350) from Tesla ("Shop" webpage). HOWEVER...
  • Tesla vehicles in some markets (Europe, for example) automatically come with both standard and enhanced security systems. Is Japan one of those markets? I don't know.
  • flvnsqrl, to see if your car has the enhanced (motion-detection) security system, look for the "Tilt / Intrusion" on-off control slider setting on the Safety & Security screen of your car's central touchscreen.
  • Like the Security Alarm setting, the Tilt / Intrusion setting is automatically turned on (and cannot be turned off) if Sentry Mode is active. However, Security Alarm and Tilt / Intrusion settings are not turned off automatically if Sentry Mode is shut off.
Conclusions: I believe that if you want to use Sentry Mode you must have the Security Alarm turned on. However, if your car is not outfitted with motion detection ("Tilt / Intrusion" setting), the alarm should not go off due to earthquake or any other motion,

But if your car does have motion detection, then the alarm probably will go off (for ~30 seconds) if you have Sentry Mode turned on and there is a significant earthquake. Remember that even if you manually turn Sentry Mode off, you must also be sure to turn Tilt / Intrusion off, as well.

For more on the somewhat bewildering interplay among the three primary Tesla security systems/mechanisms--basic security, Enhanced Anti-Theft System, and Sentry Mode--see Post #4 of Enhanced Anti-Theft System Control Settings.

Interesting topic (for those of us in earthquake areas--I live in California). Some observations:
  • As far as I know, there is no way to use Sentry Mode without also having the Security Alarm setting turned on.
  • As you probably know, Sentry Mode does four things: (1) monitors the surroundings with the car's sensors and cameras (Stage 1); (2) issues warnings using the car's headlights and turn signals (Stage 2); (3) sets off the alarm (Stage 3); and (4) messages the owner/driver of a security problem via the Tesla App (also Stage 3).
  • EVRider-FL makes a good point: The basic security system (that comes on North American cars) sounds the alarm when an otherwise locked door/lift-gate is opened and the key/fob is not present, but not due solely to motion of the car. So an alarm of a Tesla car with just the basic security system should not be triggered in an earthquake, if I understand things correctly.
  • In order to have that feature (motion detection) North American drivers must purchase the optional Enhanced Anti-Theft System ($350) from Tesla ("Shop" webpage). HOWEVER...
  • Tesla vehicles in some markets (Europe, for example) automatically come with both standard and enhanced security systems. Is Japan one of those markets? I don't know.
  • flvnsqrl, to see if your car has the enhanced (motion-detection) security system, look for the "Tilt / Intrusion" on-off control slider setting on the Safety & Security screen of your car's central touchscreen.
  • Like the Security Alarm setting, the Tilt / Intrusion setting is automatically turned on (and cannot be turned off) if Sentry Mode is active. However, Security Alarm and Tilt / Intrusion settings are not turned off automatically if Sentry Mode is shut off.
Conclusions: I believe that if you want to use Sentry Mode you must have the Security Alarm turned on. However, if your car is not outfitted with motion detection ("Tilt / Intrusion" setting), the alarm should not go off due to earthquake or any other motion,

But if your car does have motion detection, then the alarm probably will go off (for ~30 seconds) if you have Sentry Mode turned on and there is a significant earthquake. Remember that even if you manually turn Sentry Mode off, you must also be sure to turn Tilt / Intrusion off, as well.

For more on the somewhat bewildering interplay among the three primary Tesla security systems/mechanisms--basic security, Enhanced Anti-Theft System, and Sentry Mode--see Post #4 of Enhanced Anti-Theft System Control Settings.

The thread you linked to is in the model S forum. Is all this information you linked to (including buying tilt detection from the tesla shop) applicable to the model 3? On the tesla shop, I see that for model X and S but not model 3, so I dont think anything you typed about "enhanced tilt detection" is applicable to model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352

I just noticed that you probably have a Model 3. What I have written here and in other posts on the subject applies specifically to Models S and X, for which the Enhanced Anti-Theft System can be purchased (in North America) or comes standard (in Europe). I do not know about the security systems of Models 3 and Y. I assume that Model 3 does not come standard with motion detection. And I do not see optional security upgrades available for Models 3 and Y on the Tesla Shop pages. However, that is for the North America market. Whereas you are in Japan. You should check in your car (look for the Tilt / Intrusion setting) just to make sure.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The thread you linked to is in the model S forum. Is all this information you linked to (including buying tilt detection from the tesla shop) applicable to the model 3? On the tesla shop, I see that for model X and S but not model 3, so I dont think anything you typed about "enhanced tilt detection" is applicable to model 3.

Right. I eventually noticed that myself. However, various worldwide markets may differ. Do Models 3 and Y ever come with motion detection standard or as an option anywhere? Probably not, but it is not impossible.

Nonetheless, you are probably right that it is likely that Model 3 drivers never have to worry about car alarms going off due to earthquakes (unless one were so severe that a locked car door was somehow forced open, in which case the alarm sounding would be the least of your problems).

Right. I eventually noticed that myself. However, various worldwide markets may differ. Do Models 3 and Y ever come with motion detection standard or as an option anywhere? Probably not, but it is not impossible.

Nonetheless, you are probably right that it is likely that Model 3 drivers never have to worry about car alarms going off due to earthquakes (unless one were so severe that a locked car door was somehow forced open, in which case the alarm sounding would be the least of your problems).

I dont know if they do, internationally. In the US they dont come with tilt intrusion. I am not as familiar with international markets and their default configurations. I found your post extremely informative, I just dont think we have the same options that are available on model S/X in the model 3. They could have it internationally though, like you say.

I dont know if they do, internationally. In the US they dont come with tilt intrusion. I am not as familiar with international markets and their default configurations. I found your post extremely informative, I just dont think we have the same options that are available on model S/X in the model 3. They could have it internationally though, like you say.

Right. Sorry about that. I came to this Thread directly via a search, and I did not at first notice that it was specifically under the Model 3 heading.

Yes, I have already noticed some minor differences among markets. For example, as already noted, European Models S and X come with the ("Enhanced") motion-detection security system as a standard feature. Also, Tesla cars (which models?) in some markets (Hong Kong or even different states in the USA?) may be required to come with the Tesla Roadside Safety Kit as a standard feature (whereas it has to be purchased as an option in most of North America). These differences may in part be due to local or country-wide regulatory requirements.

From maintaining an original, stock 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 ("Jeep" style) and purchasing parts internationally for many years, I grew accustomed to the fact that Toyota (and all worldwide manufacturers) had to maintain a HUGE number of different model variations to meet international requirements. I am sure Tesla is faced with this also.

Thanks for your helpful input.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin