TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

Are you saying FSD wasn't in the discussion? What discussion are you talking about? The one Elon had with us when he announced AP2.0?

2. BlueRocket

BlueRocket S90D HW2.0 MCU1 2019.20.4.3

#42 BlueRocket, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    When I bought FSD in December 2016, Tesla said it had all the hardware necessary for full self driving. I'm holding them to that.

Edit: oh.. And by the way. I saw the video that proved my MS could navigate roads with traffic, pedestrians, stop signs and red lights. They didn't advertise sentry mode so I don't expect that....only FSD.

• Like x 2
  3. SO16

SO16 Active Member

I’m saying that sentry mode and dash cam wasn’t part of the initial discussion.

FSD/Autopilot was part of the initial discussion.

• Like x 1
  4. miken79

miken79 Member

I purchased over 2 years ago. So I have HW2.0. When Tesla said Sentry mode was available for HW2.0 I purchased the dreadful upgrade and had it installed only to do my research after to find out that nope. Sentry mode, while available, is just a pretty picture and a battery drain for my car. I would take the blame for not researching first but this is only the second burn I've had. Next time I get burned I'll take full responsibility for believing them without verifying.

• Like x 1
  5. SO16

SO16 Active Member

I purchased dash cams. They have better clarity than HW 2.5 anyway. Also, I don’t think you needed to purchase the autopilot in order to get sentry mode (real or fake).

6. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

Yeah sure. The whole discussion about whether AP2, when upgraded to HW3, will have Sentry/DashCam is completely moot. HW3 is the hardware that goes into current production cars. They have both.
    The only question is whether or not you mind the cameras are recording in RCCC or color. I'd rather have red/grey footage as evidence than none.

Personally, considering the cameras are the same minus a filter and they can fail, I don't see why they shouldn't be switched out.

• Like x 2
  7. SO16

SO16 Active Member

My understanding is that HW 2.0 cars will get the new processor but keep the same cameras/sensors (assuming they are sufficient for FSD).

I’d like Sentry mode to fully work in mine too. But I’m not upset that it doesn’t. Since Sentry mode wasn’t a “thing” at time of purchase, it’s just “cake”.

8. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

#48 ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    I was a tad upset that Elon led us to believe Sentry Mode was going to work with all AP2+ Teslas. Not that I had much faith in what he said before that, but it was kind of the last straw. I still believe in him and the mission, but Elon needs to quit messing with our heads.

• Like x 1
  9. SO16

SO16 Active Member

Isn’t AP2+, HW 2.5?

Or do you interpret that as AP 2 and above? I always interpreted it as 2.5.

I have learned to only buy what I know it has “at that time.” Elon does have a bad habit of being late but he delivers quite often albeit not 100%.

10. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

That would be AP2.5+ to me. Am I wrong?

• Like x 5
  11. SO16

SO16 Active Member

Probably I’m wrong.

12. SO16

SO16 Active Member

“The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.”

Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

August 2017 is when 2.5 came out. Mine was built in January 2017 and has 2.0.

2016 Model S - no sentry update

13. croman

croman Active Member

The reference was to Elon and his tweets (more than one) including one specifically responding to a self identified hw2 owner and he again said 2+ which definitely includes 2. >2 is what he meant

• Helpful x 2
  14. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I’m rather irritated by the shameless dishonesty - the release notes for AP2 cars include a blatant lie, stating that video clips are uploaded to the Tesla “cloud”, which they obviously aren’t. What happens when an AP2 sentry witnesses a serious crime and the evidence is nowhere to be found?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  15. SO16

SO16 Active Member

Buy a dash cam. Buy 4 in fact. They run a long time without affecting the battery much. Higher resolution and you have control of the data.

16. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I don’t actually personally care about recording every moment of my car’s existence like a first born child. But I do find it unacceptable and concerning that Tesla the company cares so little about the truth.

• Funny x 1
  17. SO16

SO16 Active Member

I guess I don’t consider it “case closed” with Sentry. It’s a work in progress to me.

18. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Release notes are easy to change once a feature actually works. Giving people false impressions about security functions is irresponsible and dangerous.

• Like x 4
  19. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Guys give it a break. Even if sentry mode for AP2.0 doesn’t actually send the image anywhere today, it is still a plus. It lets us blend in with AP2.5 cars (majority of cars with sentry mode) with real sentry mode and enjoy the same deterrent effect. Same reason people put dummy security cameras up. We didn’t expect or was promised this when we buy the car, so it is a bonus. I am not complaining with a AP2.0 MCU1 S100D

20. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

None of this excuses a blatant lie to customers. Spin it all you want.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1