TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry mode grey flashing recording/worthless.

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by WilliamG, Jul 13, 2019.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Member

So my dash cam works fine - all repeaters fine. However, Sentry mode recordings are all garbage. Picture fine for a few seconds, then turning grey for several seconds, fine for a few seconds, grey again. From all three cameras.

Is this a common issue?

On the 2019.20.4.4 with HW3.

2. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

What flash drive are you using?
    Does your recording was fine before or do you just install a new flash drive?
    If so, you might need a faster one?

3. JulienW

JulienW Member

Sounds like the Flash is wearing out. This can be a problem with the constant writes and over writes, especially on smaller and/or cheeper USB drives.

4. WilliamG

WilliamG Member

I’m using a Kingston 512GB SSD. Recordings were fine before. Been a few updates since I last checked though.

But the Tesla Dashcam files are just fine from all cameras. It’s just Sentry that is not fine.

5. JulienW

JulienW Member

This seems odd since don't think there is any difference in the files. Pretty sure they are the same files, just Sentry files are saved and Dashcam can be overwritten unless you "force" save them.

Also if using an SSD you won't likely have the "wearing out" problem you can get with a USB flash drive.

6. WilliamG

WilliamG Member

Right. So I’m chalking this up to a software bug. Means my Sentry files are pretty worthless right now, though.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

At 500gb he wouldn't have a wearing out issue on any type of media for decades...

There's lots of threads on sentry (but not dashcam) recordings having issues, but it's usually just one or both of the repeater cameras having them to various extents...and that does indeed appear to be a software issue.... if you're getting bad video on all 3, well, it might well still be a software issue (maybe related to HW3, of which there's relatively few cars on the road so far) but it's a "different" enough one I'd probably open a ticket with service via the app and see what they say.

8. WilliamG

WilliamG Member

I'll keep an eye on it through the next updates. I also had it not record an entire outing to a restaurant. The only thing it recorded was when my friend made it to the car first before me, and Sentry popped up on the screen as a warning. It recorded that, but NOTHING before it. Annoying...