TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sentry mode has turned off due to a sentry system error

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MIT_S60, Sep 30, 2019.

1. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

This error came up twice on my first day with V10. Is this a new regression?

sentry_failure.jpeg

2. CraDavis

CraDavis Member

Came here looking for this exact same issue...had it happen twice to me toady. Roughly 20-30 minutes after parking

3. FunSecured

FunSecured Member

I’ve had it happen once as well.

4. cybergates

cybergates Member

This happened to my S a while back. It happens when sentry mode is on too long and the car hasn’t been able to enter sleep mode. I had all sorts of weird behavior with the auto high beams not working and wipers too.

To Fix: Turn off sentry mode completely in the settings. Completely disable it. Then reboot the car by holding the two roller buttons down for 20 seconds. After a day or so re-enable sentry but this time turn on one of the settings : “disable sentry when at work or home". Apparently sentry being on 24/7 causes this issue. Sentry has to have time to turn off and the car can go into sleep mode. This will prevent issue in future. i Haven't had it since.

5. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

I got this Sentry system warning twice today on my 17 S90D MCU1 AP2 after installing V10 on Sunday. I already have Sentry set up to ignore home, work, favorites, so it is not on anywhere near 24/7 (more like 6-8 hours on weekdays) - yet the warnings are still happening, so it is not due to 24/7 usage...

• Informative x 1
  6. FunSecured

FunSecured Member

///FYI, in our case...this never happened (to our Model S) until the advent of V10 update. I leave Sentry commonly on, even when at home or work and never saw this error until V10 ///
    ———————————————————-

This happened to my S a while back. It happens when sentry mode is on too long and the car hasn’t been able to enter sleep mode. I had all sorts of weird behavior with the auto high beams not working and wipers too.

To Fix: Turn off sentry mode completely in the settings. Completely disable it. Then reboot the car by holding the two roller buttons down for 20 seconds. After a day or so re-enable sentry but this time turn on one of the settings : “disable sentry when at work or home". Apparently sentry being on 24/7 causes this issue. Sentry has to have time to turn off and the car can go into sleep mode. This will prevent issue in future. i Haven't had it since.[/QUOTE]

• Informative x 1
  7. SaveOurPlanet

SaveOurPlanet Member

This happened to my S 3 weeks ago when it was being charged at the hotel I was staying, it was before V10. I was having dinner so I just turned it on again with the phone app. Never happened again even I had it plugged in all night.

8. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Just happened to me. Car has been parked at work for the last 4 hours. I re-enabled it via app. Will see what happens.

9. conman

conman Active Member

All I can add is that it happened to me too after installing V10, but I'm on AP2 so mine doesn't record anyway. However I could just simply re-enable it in the app immediately and it seemed to restart.

10. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Aaaaaand it turned off again a few mins later. Didn’t bother enabling again as my AP2 doesn’t record and I have dual Blackvues

11. CraDavis

CraDavis Member

Interesting. I am on AP2 as well. Wonder if that is related to the root cause. Also for what it is worth I have mine disabled at work and home so I don't think it is a sleep problem. Also did not see it a single time until I got V10.

12. micpad

micpad Member

Happened to my P100X so it is not just the S and it seemed to start with V10

13. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009

Just happened for the first time ever on my wife's X today; she got V10 a few days ago.

14. emmz0r

emmz0r Senior Software Engineer

Sentry mode probably crashed for some reason. Maybe something to do with the new backing camera?

15. bayarea_joe

bayarea_joe Member

This has happened twice already to my MS after the V10 update. Will do the reboot later when I get home

16. conman

conman Active Member

#16 conman, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Is this only happening to people with AP2/MCU1? EM tweeted that proper sentry mode would eventually come to AP2 as well, so perhaps this is an early incarnation of the software required to do it, and it is overloading the hardware and crashing?

17. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

Maybe, but given that AP2.0 doesn’t record I don’t think they’re related.

18. Shateam

Shateam Member

Sorry to derail this thread for a moment, but I’m curious why the AP2 owners even bother to enable Sentry Mode since it doesn’t do much.

I have an AP2 Model S and never enable it due to the lack of recording.

Am I missing something?

19. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

It’s basically an over-glorified alarm system on AP2.0.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. tgvfan

tgvfan Member

Model S 75D with MCU 1 and AP 2 here. I, too, got this same alert today for the very first time. I installed v10 yesterday. When I got the alert this morning, I re-enabled sentry via the app, and then got the alert again about 3 hours later. I was at work and only have sentry enabled for about 9 hours a day, so definitely not on too much.