Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode has turned off due to a sentry system error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This error came up twice on my first day with V10. Is this a new regression?

sentry_failure.jpeg

This happened to my S a while back. It happens when sentry mode is on too long and the car hasn’t been able to enter sleep mode. I had all sorts of weird behavior with the auto high beams not working and wipers too.

To Fix: Turn off sentry mode completely in the settings. Completely disable it. Then reboot the car by holding the two roller buttons down for 20 seconds. After a day or so re-enable sentry but this time turn on one of the settings : “disable sentry when at work or home". Apparently sentry being on 24/7 causes this issue. Sentry has to have time to turn off and the car can go into sleep mode. This will prevent issue in future. i Haven't had it since.

I got this Sentry system warning twice today on my 17 S90D MCU1 AP2 after installing V10 on Sunday. I already have Sentry set up to ignore home, work, favorites, so it is not on anywhere near 24/7 (more like 6-8 hours on weekdays) - yet the warnings are still happening, so it is not due to 24/7 usage...

• Informative
Reactions: cybergates
///FYI, in our case...this never happened (to our Model S) until the advent of V10 update. I leave Sentry commonly on, even when at home or work and never saw this error until V10 ///
———————————————————-

This happened to my S a while back. It happens when sentry mode is on too long and the car hasn’t been able to enter sleep mode. I had all sorts of weird behavior with the auto high beams not working and wipers too.

To Fix: Turn off sentry mode completely in the settings. Completely disable it. Then reboot the car by holding the two roller buttons down for 20 seconds. After a day or so re-enable sentry but this time turn on one of the settings : “disable sentry when at work or home". Apparently sentry being on 24/7 causes this issue. Sentry has to have time to turn off and the car can go into sleep mode. This will prevent issue in future. i Haven't had it since.[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: cybergates
Interesting. I am on AP2 as well. Wonder if that is related to the root cause. Also for what it is worth I have mine disabled at work and home so I don't think it is a sleep problem. Also did not see it a single time until I got V10.

Is this only happening to people with AP2/MCU1? EM tweeted that proper sentry mode would eventually come to AP2 as well, so perhaps this is an early incarnation of the software required to do it, and it is overloading the hardware and crashing?

Last edited:
Sorry to derail this thread for a moment, but I’m curious why the AP2 owners even bother to enable Sentry Mode since it doesn’t do much.

I have an AP2 Model S and never enable it due to the lack of recording.

Am I missing something?

Model S 75D with MCU 1 and AP 2 here. I, too, got this same alert today for the very first time. I installed v10 yesterday. When I got the alert this morning, I re-enabled sentry via the app, and then got the alert again about 3 hours later. I was at work and only have sentry enabled for about 9 hours a day, so definitely not on too much.