Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode has turned off due to a sentry system error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to derail this thread for a moment, but I’m curious why the AP2 owners even bother to enable Sentry Mode since it doesn’t do much.

I have an AP2 Model S and never enable it due to the lack of recording.

Am I missing something?
Deterrent. The public are aware that Teslas film people these days, and if they approach the car it will flash its lights and show the Sentry is watching on the display. It's not like the public can tell from the outside if a car's AP2 or AP2.5, and the vast majority of the population wouldn't even be aware there is a difference.

Agree on the deterrent. The extra sounds it makes help a lot and definitely help as a security feature. Getting the notifications on the app are good too. That being said I haven't had to depend on it yet, just experimented with friends pretending to break in.

I mentioned before that I experienced this on an AP2.0 car....to be complete its a S75D AP2 MCU1 March 2017 vintage.

I also noticed since I installed V10 that Autopilot randomly disconnects with a warning "Autopilot not available"...the lane renderings are basically gone when that happens, and then AP functioning comes back on, with complete lane renderings back, after about 30-60 seconds of driving. This is happening on roads I travel everyday on AP, so there is no external reason for AP to become unavailable.

I still have Slacker randomly stating a song in the middle, or just skipping from the middle of a song to a new song regardless of reception quality - but this started several updates ago. I just had hoped V10 update would cure this problem, but it did not.

Model X ,I've had it happen daily since getting V10 after 4hrs being at work. I don't have it Enabled at Home,

I have a feeling its due to LTE signal not being good where my office is at. I will try enabling at Home where I have good wifi to see if it turns off after 4hours of being home.

Is this only happening to people with AP2/MCU1? EM tweeted that proper sentry mode would eventually come to AP2 as well, so perhaps this is an early incarnation of the software required to do it, and it is overloading the hardware and crashing?
It's not just an AP2 thing. I've been successfully using sentry mode (home off) on my AP2.5/MCU1 car since it became available without any error messages. That is until Sunday when I installed V10. Starting Monday morning I've had at least one if not more Sentry Mode errors.

My car was updated to 32.11.1 last night and I had the same error this morning a couple of hours after arriving at work.

ETA: I was just notified on my phone that Sentry mode stopped due to an error. Restarted it via the app w/o issue.

I installed 32.11.1 last night, and I’ve gotten the sentry error within 5 minutes of parking 3 times today. Each time, I re-enabled sentry mode from the app only to have the error repeated within 2 minutes. So the newest update appears to have made the problem worse. AP2/MCU1.

I got 32.11.1 and still have the Sentry error...in addition, I just noticed tonight that I no longer have the Navigate on Autopilot button on my Nav screen, even though all of the Autopilot settings are as they were. Rebooted, but nothing...so I can't access the NOA functioning at all. Still have the drunken steering wheel on AP as well - slight side to side corrections that are making me seasick in the car...I hope everyone with MCU2 is enjoying CupHead and Netflix, because all the features left for us MCU1 folks aren't working too well right now...

I got 32.11.1 and still have the Sentry error...in addition, I just noticed tonight that I no longer have the Navigate on Autopilot button on my Nav screen, even though all of the Autopilot settings are as they were. Rebooted, but nothing...so I can't access the NOA functioning at all. Still have the drunken steering wheel on AP as well - slight side to side corrections that are making me seasick in the car...I hope everyone with MCU2 is enjoying CupHead and Netflix, because all the features left for us MCU1 folks aren't working too well right now...

this happened to me once on V9 - lost a bunch of features such as auto-headlights and NOA. Fix was disable sentry completely and then reboot and then it came back in a day or so (car has to deep sleep to restore features).

At work I park my Model S in a public parking building and was required to move to a different reserved space. That is when this error started happening to me every day.
I don't want to turn sentry mode off because two days ago it recorded a guy in a hoodie trying to break in to my car.
My new park is in a dark corner of the building but behind it is the stream of cars exiting the building. Some of these cars trigger Sentry Mode and I can get quite a number of such recordings every day.

Has anyone on this thread come up with a definitive reason for this error, and has anyone reported it to Tesla?

Thanks.