Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode - hit and run - what would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was car wash day, and as I was drying my car, I noticed a scuff mark on my passenger side rear fender. Dun dun dunnnnnnnnn so here goes the needle in a haystack of sentry videos, but I found them. Interestingly enough after hitting me and continuing his life unbothered, a witness is seen on camera inspecting the damage.

Question: The damage is very minor and appears to be a scuff off of the clear coat. Would you file a claim which likely will be an easy buff or leave it alone? I’m mad at the fact he appears to see what he did due to the way he backed up and looked, so am I wrong for wanting recourse? I want him to learn a lesson to stop and leave a freaking note.

See below

- Right repeater view of the hit

- Right repeater view of the witness inspecting the damage.

Attachments

• 83D61580-A354-4DD5-ADB8-B5B068F84B52.jpeg
    83D61580-A354-4DD5-ADB8-B5B068F84B52.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 138
  • D6422271-C03E-4A16-8754-A6E82A55E49B.jpeg
    D6422271-C03E-4A16-8754-A6E82A55E49B.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 96
Today was car wash day, and as I was drying my car, I noticed a scuff mark on my passenger side rear fender. Dun dun dunnnnnnnnn so here goes the needle in a haystack of sentry videos, but I found them. Interestingly enough after hitting me and continuing his life unbothered, a witness is seen on camera inspecting the damage.

Question: The damage is very minor and appears to be a scuff off of the clear coat. Would you file a claim which likely will be an easy buff or leave it alone? I’m mad at the fact he appears to see what he did due to the way he backed up and looked, so am I wrong for wanting recourse? I want him to learn a lesson to stop and leave a freaking note.

See below

Looking at the scuff marks the corner of his front bumper it appears as though he parks "by feel" quite often.

Might be difficult to find him though since the plates are from Texas. If the scuff will just buff out I would just do so and move on. If it actually creased the metal then I would pursue.

See below

He doesn't seem like the type of person who cares for small scuffs on a car. (Based on the appearance of his truck). He clearly felt the damage was trivial. I mean he didn't even run and park somewhere else. You got his plates, it's up to you. I'd let it slide. Doesn't look like ill-intent or downright rudeness either. Sure, he should have left a note. But not all people think that way I suppose.

He doesn't seem like the type of person who cares for small scuffs on a car. (Based on the appearance of his truck). He clearly felt the damage was trivial. I mean he didn't even run and park somewhere else. You got his plates, it's up to you. I'd let it slide. Doesn't look like ill-intent or downright rudeness either. Sure, he should have left a note. But not all people think that way I suppose.
From what I see in the video, I don't think he even knew he scraped your car. Old guy, big pickup, no movement of your M3, so likely not noticed by him. It looks to me like he backed up to see where he was in respect to the lines, saw that his right tires were on the lines and backed up to re-park in the center.

I see everyone’s point, which is why I asked for other opinions. I could be petty and cause him a couple annoying phone calls and maybe a fine for hit and run? If it was worse, then I’d probably report it.... it really is very small but on the matter of principal I’m like, should I be petty or nah lol

He doesn't seem like the type of person who cares for small scuffs on a car. (Based on the appearance of his truck). He clearly felt the damage was trivial.
You're right. The old guy (probably my age :)) clearly has poor depth perception and hasn't figured out how to turn that long wheelbase pickup sharply enough to get into a parking spot cleanly.

You're right. The old guy (probably my age :)) clearly has poor depth perception and hasn't figured out how to turn that long wheelbase pickup sharply enough to get into a parking spot cleanly.
As my wife says: if you can't park it, don't drive it.
Should be easy to find anyone with a plate, unless the car is borrowed.
Registration has names, and vin to link to title, rentals have license.

Worth following up in case they have other offenses. Only the good die young...

My wife did this to someone else recently. Thought it wasn’t worth leaving a note. 3rd party saw it, and left a note. She got a 12 point hit and run ticket. Lose your license. Desperately plea bargained to 8 points plus drivers ed class, so she can still drive for the kids’ school.

• Funny
Reactions: MIT_S60
Even if it's a minor scuff, bad drivers need to learn a lesson. What if instead of hitting the side of your car he hit someone standing there beside your car, would you still think it's ok? Would it be ok if the person hit did not get seriously injured?It's not the fact that he hit your car, i,the fact that he doesn't care. Like ItsNotAboutTheMoneys's wife says, if you can't drive, or park, regardless of your age, you should not be driving a vehicle.

Same thing happened to me, but it popped a part of my rear bumper off it’s clips and nicked paint and ever so slightly bent sheet metal. The guy had no idea he did it. But my insurance company (AAA) tracked him down via his plates that my camera captured. He apologized profusely after the agent showed him the video. He was driving a Ford F-250. I believe that he had no idea.

It was $1,500 damage. Without the sentry mode, it would have been on me.

So, sure, try buffing it out yourself, but if doesn’t come out to your liking, call your insurance company and give them your videos.

AAA costs a fortune, but they have always had my back.

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar
...I want him to learn a lesson to stop and leave a freaking note...

It's very minor but it still costs something from a body shop to fix it.

One concern is the driver might not realize that there was a distance misjudgment that resulted in a minor collision.

The driver might need feedback so the driving skill can be improved and not getting worse in the future.

The driver might benefit from a mature driver improvement course.

I would go ahead file a police report and file a claim.

Reactions: TampaRich
Dude needs to learn how to park. Another case of someone driving a vehicle too large for them to properly handle.

If the damage had been more severe I would pursue it, but that looks like it could just buff out. Even so, I’d be pissed as hell if that happened to my 3.

I see everyone’s point, which is why I asked for other opinions. I could be petty and cause him a couple annoying phone calls and maybe a fine for hit and run? If it was worse, then I’d probably report it.... it really is very small but on the matter of principal I’m like, should I be petty or nah lol

I get you on the principal, guy could be more respectful but that's a quality in short supply these days.

If you could get the owners information, you could contact him explaining you have video evidence etc and requesting something. Is it worth your time? That would be my criteria if it truly buffs out cleanly...